What should a non-diabetic childs levels be

jiggle

Hello again.

I was diagnosed 6 months ago with type 2 and have since been taking my childs (age 10) blood sugar levels in the morning. He has been extremely tired recently so i thought i would test him to see. He has had 2 readings of over 100(5.5mmol/L) (102-105)(5.6 - 5.8mmol/L) but mostly they are in the 90's( 5's mmol/L) (fasting). His post-prandial is 120(6.6mmol/L). Any advice please. It couldn't happen to both of us surely within a couple of months...could it?

Just been for check up, my a1c is 6.1, so i have it under control although my blood pressure has dropped significantly...can't have everything i suppose!!!

Also can stress cause a temporary rise in a non-diabetics blood sugar??? :?:

Thankyou

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
sorry but those readings dont mean anything to me we do our readings in mmol here. if ur concerned tho u need to go and see a doctor who will be able to diagnose him, i had an inkling my child might be having some of the symptoms but thought it couldnt happen to me so left it we nearly lost him as he had bad DKA i dont mean to worry u its just better to go get a diagnosis or an all clear either way

anna marie

Hazza

Hi, if you convert the numbers to the ones that we use they come out really good at about 5.5ish, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Just because he is tired doesn't mean he has diabetes, there are lots of other symptoms to watch for, like, drinking to excess or running to the toilet a lot. These are the classic symptoms but there are also others.
If you are really concerned then I would visit the doctor and ask for them to check him out.

Harry

jiggle

Sorry i keep forgetting its the other way of reading on here!!! 100 = 5.6 102-105 = 5.7 5.8
95 = 5.3 Sorrryyyyyyy!!!!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
no prob jiggle just didnt know what those numbers meant at all, sounds pretty good to me but honestly if ur unsure never hurts to check i wouldnt leave anything now after our close call

anna marie

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Those levels (child) wouldn't alarm me in any way. My son's blood sugar level at diagnosis was 86mmol/L.

As for stress and excitement... Most definitely raises my sons bsl. After trips to the doctor, blood tests or unusual places he often has some high levels. I do find the high levels caused by stress tend to sort themselves out. If I treat them with insulin I often get hypos sometime later. Illness/fever can cause high levels also.

You sound like you are doing really well looking after yourself :)

jiggle

:D Thankyou to those who have replied. I'll continue to monitor his blood levels and seek further tests if i'm concerned about them.
We've been living in the UAE for 18 months now and the care from the medical profession is far from what it is in the UK!! Thumbs up for the NHS again. Oh, i miss home!! :( I keep reading up on the information given on this website and then questioning the docs about my results etc. Here they go by the American ideas i think and say that you're a diabetic when your levels (fasting) are aboove 100. (5.55 mmol/l) Its all very confusing and the information differs soooooo much on the internet. Arrgghh, roll on my return!!!
Anyway thanks again.