What Should I Do?

This all started with my younger sister mentioning she was not well about a week ago and we thought nothing of it until the next morning when she told us that she woke up in the night with pins and needles in her leg and no feeling, this is when we started our worries. She has lost a lot of weight and has been eating unusually since then, just ten minutes ago I heard her moving about and due to her having a history of sleepwalking I went to check on her and she had wet the bed. She is 11 years old and my dad has Type 1 diabetes and so does 2 of his sisters. I am worried sick and currently, my parents are sleeping.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly wake up your parents, your Dad must have a blood glucose monitor, maybe he should test her. Get him to call 111 for advice too. If he thinks she’s very unwell he needs to call 999.

Reactions: Amyj30

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Please wake up your parents, call 111 or take her to A/E.
Hope she'll be okay, do let us know what happens.
Take care

Reactions: Jayden2407

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @AlexanderByron Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your sister needs to see a GP as soon as possible to get her checked over, if she hasn't been seen already please urge your parents to take her and please keep us updated ?

Hello all, thank you for the kind words and advice. We took her to Accident and emergency in the morning and they took her blood sugar levels and they were 29mmol/l and she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She is holding up very well and has already started pricking herself and taking insulin injections. The hospital staff have been amazing and so helpful and we are very thankful for the NHS.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, thank you for the kind words and advice. We took her to Accident and emergency in the morning and they took her blood sugar levels and they were 29mmol/l and she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She is holding up very well and has already started pricking herself and taking insulin injections. The hospital staff have been amazing and so helpful and we are very thankful for the NHS.

I’m so sorry to hear of your sister’s diagnosis but glad that she has an answer for her recent ill health. Well done to her for getting to grips with her treatment already. Alexander do feel free to return with any questions you or your family might have. I’m not Type one but there are many here who can step up and help you.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are here to offer advice. But first off your sister should listen to her newly found health team. We T1s, remember those crazy early days and the struggle and confusion to get things right. Your sister is very lucky to have a caring brother like you. Keep posting to let us know how your sister is coping.

Best wishes,

Amber

Last edited: