Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
You don't look diabetic
you look too healthy to have diabetes
you haven't got it as badly as xyz
your children would have been heavy babies (7ilbs & 6lbs 6 ozs actually) (sister in maternity ward)
if you think your children are diabetic just bring them here and we'll test them (a hospital doc at diabetes clinic who did not realise that if only 1 parent has type 1-- offspring only have a 0.2% chance of developing the condition)
you had a hypo because you ate chocolate so your body produced more insulin to bring your blood sugar down (GP)
after a hypo: "didn't you have your insulin?"/ " you must need insulin"
you'll lose your job if management see you injecting yourself--that is what happened to someone else (who was taking injections to increase muscle bulk). I just told him that I would lose my life if I didn't inject so losing my job wouldn't really matter!!!!!
you need to come off that stuff--it'll kill you, you think it makes you feel good but................
don't you dare eat anything before bed (endocrinologist at diabetes clinic--recently)
what are you eating?--lets look at your HBA1C--oh it's 4!! (doc @ diabetes clinic)
levemir lasts 48 hours (very many doctors over 10 years)
after getting a bit hypo "you should always drink proper coke to stop that happening"
a slice of bread is 40g cho (dietician at diabetes clinic--recently)--funny I have always counted 1 oz bread as 15g cho
"have you ever seen a diabetes diet cookbook?" (same dietician)
"it most be so difficult to work out how much bread to eat at lunchtime" (no I make my own sandwiches to take to work) (same dietician--recently)
"eat more meat to increase amino acids in your body "when I was asking endocrinologist -recently-- about 1 less amino acid in Tresiba and Levemir insulins (I really hope he was joking--I laughed anyway!!!.....)
"oh well if you passed that medical I won't have a problem" walking up a steep hill with the person who said it who was so unfit that she was completely breathless & had difficulty talking....
"Good girl" (mother-in-law who was convinced that I didn't eat her apple pie because I didn't want to put on weight so nagged me endlessly about eating properly--so I ate some for a bit of peace)
"you young girls are so frightened of putting on weight" (years ago said by landlady of B & B who served up ENORMOUS breakfasts!!!!!!
when trying to explain why I needed to eat something "well we would all collapse if we needed to eat something--you are no different"

AS YOU CAN PROBABLY TELL I HAVE HAD T1 FOR AGES--(53 years)..............................

Reactions: 12 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I constantly hear people saying to each other stuff like "dont eat that much sugar, you'll get diabetes"... I feel like punching them every time.

I also get comments like "if you lose weight/exercise more you'll be off insulin!"

I gained some extra weight after diagnosis (more than I lost before it) and everyone seem to think this is what caused my diabetes.

Ehhh...

Reactions: 2 people

Jess33marsh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been asked have you got the good or bad type of diabetes?

As an inpatient in hospital and experiencing a hypo the nurse rushed off to get me a sugar free yoghurt??!!
Now I take my own supplies if I know I'm staying in for any reason!

Reactions: 4 people

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They all think Diabet means You can't eat sugar too much :confused: And some people like "Oh I know I know What it is like! My granny has Dia too! " :banghead:

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
"Oh you only have it mild then'!!!? And "did you get it from eating sweet biscuits? "I'll never get it I only eat savoury ones" If only life was as simple as some people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Last night: 'my mums diabetic - she has been for 15 years.. She doesn't need to take insulin like you, but she really doesn't look after herself. I'm really worried that she's going to become type 1 too.'

{{face-palm}}

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gp passed on message to receptionist to phone me..."don't take any evening insulin tonight" (after a low fasting uneccesary test)..(on a pump!)

Didn't even look at my records before getting receptionist to phone me.

A complaint went in and GP apologised.

victry77

At work (large college) we have a care team who tend to disabled students. One of this team (who claims to have been a nurse) asked me, in regards to my insulin, "Doesn't it bother you having to take that?" I replied that I didn't have much choice and she responded with a disgusted look and said, "Yeah... but it's rat poison, isn't it?"

I'm no medical expert but even I knew she was thinking of warfarin.

She's one of these "bubbly" and "full of fun" types who a lot of people like but who can be a nasty bully if you get on the wrong side of her. Prior to my diabetes she would always make these little snide comments about my weight (that is I'm very slim and always have been). She just could never believe any woman could be naturally slim without starving themselves and would imply this is what I did. Horrible cow :mad:

rgibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After being in hospital with DKA I've had a friend say "well you do eats lot of chocolate" ...as that's the sole reason...nothing to do with my insulin regime being totally changed :s lol

fartypants

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed type 1 at the age of 29. You don't know how many times I've heard "but can't you only get that as a kid?"! Grr.
And I was diagnosed with type 1 at 40, so I get the "oh you're probably really a type 2"........ Even from a nurse!!

H

Hooked

At Irish class last night we were doing role plays and I had to explain to the girl I was practising with why I was stuffing my face with skittles and having problems following the script. Just said I was diabetic and needed some sugar.
"Did you not take your tablets today?"
"No, I'm on an insulin pump. My levels are a little low, hence eating sweets now."
Then after our tea break.
"Are you alright now, did you get something sweet with your tea?" To which I just replied yes, with a smile.
"You really should look into getting tablets for it. A friend/relative of mine takes them and finds them great, no bother at all."
"She's probably type 2, I'm type 1 and have to have insulin". Thankfully the class restarted at that stage; I didn't want to have a big convo on the ins and outs of various forms of diabetes and their treatments.

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got the usual ones ...

'You don't look like a diabetic!' <- it was a pharmacist who said that to me

Back in the '80's when Orbit was about the only sugar free gum around (I think) - 'can you eat that?' (ummmm yes!)

So how many injections do you have a day? ... my response: 4 - their response 'is your diabetes that bad?' (ummm no, I am in better control now!)

'So you have the worst type of diabetes?'

'My legs really hurt, can you do a blood test and see if I am diabetic?' (gee, in that case everyone must be diabetic at some point after a walk or run)

Type 2 says to me, 'when I want eat some chocolate or sweets, I just take a couple of extra tablets afterwards' (metformin etc), 'can't you do the same?'

I have had some weird and funny ones in my life... sorry can't remember the good ones...

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I was recently told I was only diabetic because I use a wheelchair.

Reactions: 4 people

TashaCross

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are so many ridiculous things said to us!

Would people please take my survey? It's part of an Extended project I'm doing on perceptions of Type 1, and I want to get as many diabetics' thoughts as possible. I'm doing another survey of the public, and am going to have a stand at my college's health event next month to educate people about type 1.

Here's the survey --> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9NT8MFY

Thank you! :)

Reactions: 5 people

Heathfshaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had " your going to gain loads of weight now " from people
I'm 5"8 and 10 1/2 stone , eating healthy ...
I also got" oh you can eat this chocolate it won't hurt you , it's not that bad " 2 days after being diagnosed and having 26 BG

Need to be more information out there for family and friends because they are the ones that will help you when your in need !

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Dont think 'stupid' is the proper word for it, but omg I hate when Im having a low and they urge me to get some insulin....

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
There are so many ridiculous things said to us!

Would people please take my survey? It's part of an Extended project I'm doing on perceptions of Type 1, and I want to get as many diabetics' thoughts as possible. I'm doing another survey of the public, and am going to have a stand at my college's health event next month to educate people about type 1.

Here's the survey --> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9NT8MFY

Thank you! :)
Done survey

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dont think 'stupid' is the proper word for it, but omg I hate when Im having a low and they urge me to get some insulin....
I will say in defence of a few of the guys in the cycling club, they probably take more notice of my planned 45min test schedule than I do, and a couple of them have taken the time to ask me what they would need to do in the event of a hypo.

The insulin misconception thing is pretty common, until you explain it.

moz1

"So you cannot eat sugar, cakes and sweet things then?" Then tell me off when I am having a cake, chocolate bar, etc... I explain I have had insulin to cover this treat but they just raise their eyebrows as if I am a naughty boy!

Kiyobetis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm type 1 and was diagnosed during a routine check at the age of 13 (was underweight back then), when my body still produced a little insulin. The doctor that diagnosed me gave me this gem:""it is genetical diabetes, but since we noticed it at an early stage, there is still a chance to cure her."