what supplements/vitamins do you recommend?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have now been doing the low carb for just over two weeks. My readings range between 5.8 and 4.4 but are usually in the low s when at work and in the 4s at home- stressful job I guess.
I am currently feeling exhausted- really tired. I'm sleeping betterbthan usual but everything seems an effort. I'm not eating very much as my stomach starts turning at the tight of meat, fish or chicken. I'm still eating it though. I was thinking about whether I need to get dietary supplements- what does everyone reccomend.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have now been doing the low carb for just over two weeks. My readings range between 5.8 and 4.4 but are usually in the low s when at work and in the 4s at home- stressful job I guess.
I am currently feeling exhausted- really tired. I'm sleeping betterbthan usual but everything seems an effort. I'm not eating very much as my stomach starts turning at the tight of meat, fish or chicken. I'm still eating it though. I was thinking about whether I need to get dietary supplements- what does everyone reccomend.
You don't absolutely have to eat meat, fish and poultry if you hate it so much. It makes following a low carb diet easier if you have them in your repertoire, but others here are vegan/vegetarian for personal or religious, health or whatever reasons, and they pull it off. I think I may have told you before, you're not going to stick with a diet you hate, and this is a for-life deal. Find the things you love and go from there. More veggies, and are eggs and cheeses okay? Nuts, tofu, to some extent quorn, tempeh? If there's something you love, but it's very high in carbs, try googling it with "keto" in front of it, you'll get alternatives in recepies and shop bought stuff... I'm reading a lot of grief here for having to follow a diet that really doesn't suit your personal beliefs/wishes/needs. Look into alternatives, go from there. And don't rush it, this takes time.

As for supplements, a B complex is always a good idea, add some Brazil nuts for selenium (2 per day is plenty, and taste better than selenium in pill-form). You might be low on D, so a supplement might be alright, as that might explain your fatigue as well... Though since you started all this you made quite the diet change and that too will impact your energy levels. If that is the culprit for your fatigue, it will pass in about 2 weeks after the diet change. You are probably also a little dehydrated and in need of electrolytes (coconut milk / -water will help, a pinch of salt here and there too), as carbs hold on to water and you're losing electrolytes together with the fluids your body is shedding. It's called keto- or carb-flu, but that does get better.

Your bloodsugars are absolutely beautiful, but you're not happy with the way you're achieving them. I hope you'll find a way to find some joy on your plate again. It's a puzzle, I know... A lot of the stuff that's good for me to eat, diabetes-wise, aggravates my rheumatism or trigger migraines. Not to mention IBS and other bowel issues. When there's something else restricting your diet, it becomes that much more complicated. But usually that just means you have to put a little more effort in changing your diet around to something that is both good for you physically as well as mentally, requiring research and experimentation... I wouldn't've been able to keep up keto if I hated what's on my plates throughout a day, and I didn't figure out what worked for me in a matter of days... Took me 3 months to find some equilibrium, and I didn't switch to keto until I was two years in. But the way I'm eating now, I do think I can do for the next couple of decades. Find what foods make the same true for you.

Don't lose hope just yet, okay?
Jo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you ask for a blood test to look for deficiencies?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you have been low carbing for only a short time you may be getting the symptoms of ‘carb flu’. Are you eating enough fats to replace the energy you are missing from dropping carbs? You may not need any supplements, just make sure you are getting enough energy dense foods. I’m not veggie myself but it is possible to go low carb without eating meat. Take a look here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are right about the grief- I hadn't really considered how that might be affecting me. I don't really like vegetables and the ones I do are the carb heavy ones. My children never realised until they were late teens how much I disliked (okay hated) vegetables as of course I ate them following the advice on the right things to eat. I am used to eating things I don't like but I guess always had the 'reward' of having something (carbs!) that I did like.
I know it's a way of life and I think now (having read Jokalsbeek post) that part of my fatigue is trying to deal with the grief that the stuff I really like is off the table (plate) forever. I am an all or nothing type person and realise I really need to keep the blood levels down so I am 100% committed. This forum is a godsend.

One thing that has been comforting is that I have tried for many years to lose weight. I have followed the 'healthy eating' guide for a long time. My husband has watched as I've had smaller and smaller portions and yet I didn't lose the weight unless I was even more restricted. The doctors I think were all sceptical that I was following the healthy guidelines. I am now losing weight and certainly not feeling as hungry as I used to. It's a shame that the doctors don't really understand the benefits of this low carb life as maybe if they had I could have restricted my carbs not quite as severely and delayed (possibly for a long while) becoming a diabetic.

My husband has been great and supportive and has given up a lots of his carbs- he has lost weight too- unfortunately he really didn't need to as he has always been underweight. He is now a healthy weight but will have to make sure he doesn't lose any more.

At the moment my blood sugars are my focus. I really want to come off the metformin. Once that is achieved I want to maintain a non-diabetic level for 6 months. My plan (at the moment) is then to start experimenting with some of the things I really miss. I will then look at diet drinks and the like to see what effect they have on me. I don't want to start experimenting until I have had good results for a while. I figure the longer my body has good results the better it will cope withe experimentation.

Sorry for the long post. I can't express my thanks enough to this forum. Hopefully in a while I will be able to help others as you have helped me- I plan to be here for the long haul.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I know your post is well over a year old, but I was interested to read that you recommend Chromium and Vanadium. Have you found that these help in controlling your blood glucose levels?