Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher, Hope you are OK.
The reason I was reserved about low carb with a gastric bypass is that the patient may become undernourished?
Eventually the medics will hopefully recommend lchf before gastric bypasses are recommended. regards Derek

I'm good and very busy mate, hope you are doing well and coping. Thanks for asking!
It's the same old story, once diagnosed with a condition that has Hypoglycaemia as a symptom, the dietary advice is still to eat 'healthy' carbs! They get worried about not enough glucose for the brain. So they err on the side of caution.
But as mine and others experience, you don't necessarily need them carbs if you get enough from carbs in protein and vegetables. So they struggle to control their insulin and of course that leads to the viscous circle of carbs need more carbs and the weight goes on again.
Because of their lack of appetite that has been recorded and they don't need to eat as much, yes, they can be undernourished, but as with all of us, it is what you eat and how your body copes with it! I have read, some have been told to eat what they want and had terrible repercussions because of that sort of advice!
And I totally agree if they went on very low carb before they needed surgery, then the RH wouldn't have probably developed.
Best wishes mate!

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting! Trying to keep insulin resistance under control

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Very interesting! Trying to keep insulin resistance under control

Insulin resistance is caused by a build up of too much carbs and sugar over a long time, it happens when there is either too much glucose or insulin is depleted because of pancreatic problems. The fat that is stored makes it worse.
Not eating those carbs will gradually lower the insulin resistance.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
And therapeutic fasting will dramatically tackle insulin levels, clear the stored sugar (glycogen) in your liver and gives your system access to your fat stores to use as fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Cant fast, i havé gilberts syndrome :-(

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am learning everyday from this Forum, thank God for it. Never heard of Gilbert's syndrome, but looked it up on the Internet and it tells me it is genetic and harmless, so really not much you can do about it. Good luck Alicki.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Check the UK gilberts site! Harmless yes. But sufferers say that it causes a lot of symptoms but the medical establishment doesn't agree with! I got a genetic test to get diagnosed. I think I have also problems with gallbladder and am trying to get that sorted. It's the gallbladder and the insulin resistance which are causing havoc not Gilbert's - however fasting would set Gilbert's off! Anyways, sorry to nag, just feeling fed up...
I would like to thank everybody for their support, this site is full of wonderful people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alicki, sounds like you're getting somewhere with your diagnosis! Sorry, I haven't been around for a while. Been on holiday and very busy lately. It's good to read you have a diagnosis. My Cousin has Gilbert's Syndrome. She had really bad stomach problems and lost lots of weight over a short period of time. I don't know much about it but she did say it was genetic and therefore runs in families. She was told that if one family member has it, then it's likely that many others in the family do too. She thinks I should ask to be tested, but I don't need anything else to think or worry about!

I hope you're starting to feel better x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No problem Alicki. It is good to talk about it and let it off your chest. We always thought our problems are terrible but have no idea there are people out there who has it a lot worse than ours. Please don't feel you are nagging cause we are here to listen and also learn from you.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thanks ladies really appreciate your response!! Last major test on 6 July! Fingers crossed

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Kaz261- your cousin is right but don't go chasing something that might not be there- just look out for fatigue and unexplained abdominal distress or nausea and then get tested but if you ever have to, ask for a genetic test, 50 pounds and only way to know for sure

Reactions: 2 people

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bananas are a passion of mine! Since diagnosis 5 months ago I have tested them with porridge, alone with cream! My BS levels soar so they are now another thing on the no no list! Very high in carbs and sugar apparently! I am now on raspberries! Problem is they are pretty seasonal. Do miss bananas though! Maybe once in a while will have to suffice!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

lindisfel

Expert
Porridge and bananas both my favourites but neither any good on a proper LCHF diet. If one has R.H. we avoid carbs like the poison they are. I used to have up to two hypos per day but they stopped last September when I went LCHF. No going back now. You know it makes sense!! :);) Derek
Bananas are a passion of mine! Since diagnosis 5 months ago I have tested them with porridge, alone with cream! My BS levels soar so they are now another thing on the no no list! Very high in carbs and sugar apparently! I am now on raspberries! Problem is they are pretty seasonal. Do miss bananas though! Maybe once in a while will have to suffice!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

If you experiment with different foods, and lower your portion size, and add fats, you can have small pieces of fruit with full fat yoghurt as an example.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bananas are also one of my favourite fruit. I make sure they are not too ripe and only have a third of it for breakfast with yoghurt and nuts.

evelygtc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
non
Good morning Kristin25,

Is Mayo short form of Mayonnaise?

Thanks