What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Don't get me wrong I quite like the odd glass of red wine but it's a glass single malt whisky that does it for me..

One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize toxins and enjoyable as it maybe alcohol is a toxin and the liver prioritizes alcohol over most other things such as blood sugars so for a while at least it can't deal with both.

Reactions: UserABC2021

Defiantfitzy

I cant wait to get down to the normal ranges. Only just been diagnosed, started insulin about three weeks ago. My BG was 10.2 this morning. Still it's going down which is the main thing :)

Reactions: Prem51

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had a bit of a duvet week, with chest infection. Been sleeping a lot, so erratic testing. range has been 6.4 - 7.8, though fasting has been erratic too. Sometimes not waking until after midday, and sometimes forgetting to test at all. At least I haven’t felt like eating, until today, so back on track, just coughing a bit and tired, but think I have avoided need for steroid meds. Haven’t felt right since flu vacc earlier this month.

fasting today 6.7.
Will try to catch up with posts. Hope you are all keeping well.
Get well soon

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a bit of a duvet week, with chest infection. Been sleeping a lot, so erratic testing. range has been 6.4 - 7.8, though fasting has been erratic too. Sometimes not waking until after midday, and sometimes forgetting to test at all. At least I haven’t felt like eating, until today, so back on track, just coughing a bit and tired, but think I have avoided need for steroid meds. Haven’t felt right since flu vacc earlier this month.

fasting today 6.7.

Hope you are feeling a lot better.

I am so suspicious of flu jabs, a few years ago my sister had the flu jab and then came down with pneumonia a couple of weeks later. I would say that was chance but there were so many people I knew who came down with pneumonia that year after having the flu jab that I didn't think it could be coincidence. My OH has asthma and he has been having a flu jab the for last 5 years. For 4 of those years he has come down with really bad chest infections and needing a nebulizer, again within weeks of immunization. I refused the flu jab because of this and have been relatively ok. The difference this year is the Dx diagnosis in Feb, don't know if flu jab is more important as a consequence. Never really had any symptoms of D on diagnosis or subsequently and am usually quite robust. - For which I am very thankful.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't get me wrong I quite like the odd glass of red wine but it's a glass single malt whisky that does it for me..

One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize toxins and enjoyable as it maybe alcohol is a toxin and the liver prioritizes alcohol over most other things such as blood sugars so for a while at least it can't deal with both.
Hmm... I do have a bottle of whiskey which has been sitting around for about a year since Dx. May need to experiment.;)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
5.3 this morning.
First time I tested it was 5.8 then realized that I had managed to get toothpaste on my fingers. Duh!
Not the first person om here to have that happen I believe.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope you are feeling a lot better.

I am so suspicious of flu jabs, a few years ago my sister had the flu jab and then came down with pneumonia a couple of weeks later. I would say that was chance but there were so many people I knew who came down with pneumonia that year after having the flu jab that I didn't think it could be coincidence. My OH has asthma and he has been having a flu jab the for last 5 years. For 4 of those years he has come down with really bad chest infections and needing a nebulizer, again within weeks of immunization. I refused the flu jab because of this and have been relatively ok. The difference this year is the Dx diagnosis in Feb, don't know if flu jab is more important as a consequence. Never really had any symptoms of D on diagnosis or subsequently and am usually quite robust. - For which I am very thankful.
Thanks, @Ryhia . I think I will be swerving the flu jabs in future. Just become a recluse during winter and avoid the winter lurgy spreading masses. Though I think it is a personal choice, I thought that with several other health conditions, I would hate to need to put pressure on hospitals by needing to be admitted for flu complications.

Reactions: Ryhia

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

fasting today 6.7.
Hope you are fully recovered soon :)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely for me (and many others). The simplest explanation that I've found is that it inhibits the liver from performing (as much) gluconeogenesis.
I think I might give it a whirl :)

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi phil how are you getting on with new pump i changed my mind over the ypso and have gone for the omnipod ,all my supplies have came just need to do the training.
Hi Karen, finding the ypso better than my old insight due to the steel cannulas which aren't available for the insight, the only improvement would be if I could bolus from the app, I think they're working on this, I find doing an extended bolus of 15 minutes works better for pumping , watch all the videos on YouTube for the omnipod as they really help. I hope all goes well for you, it's been a lifesaver for me x

Reactions: karen8967

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Karen, finding the ypso better than my old insight due to the steel cannulas which aren't available for the insight, the only improvement would be if I could bolus from the app, I think they're working on this, I find doing an extended bolus of 15 minutes works better for pumping , watch all the videos on YouTube for the omnipod as they really help. I hope all goes well for you, it's been a lifesaver for me x
Hi Karen, this is my 90 day report due to Dexcom g6 and pumping x
Screenshot_20191124-195942_CLARITY.jpeg