What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @carlislemagic and welcome to the forum.A higher reading in the morning is quite common. It's called 'Dawn Phenomenon' or Somogi effect, where your liver dumps stored glucose into your bloodstream if you don't have enough after not eating for hours. If you put Dawn Phenomenon into the search box you will find a lot of threads about it.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood glucose was up at 10.7 this morning. That's better than it has been recently. I don't quite understand how I can go to bed with results like 7.5 and wake up with 12. There seems to be a rebound effect when I don't eat.

If one eat too much protein the day before , the liver stores it and will transform it into glucose many times the next morning. , most only need around 0,8 grams of protein Pro kg body weight

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Freema I had forgotten about the protein changing into glucose,has I don't usually do carbs my Two meals consist wholly of vegetables and protein,yesterday was a high protein day, gammon and egg for brunch,then evening meal fried liver onions and veg,cauliflower and carrots and turnip plus butter. Will have to start weighing my proteins, thank you for reminding me,I will give this a try, I have noticed if I eat more fish and salads it doesn't go so high,perhaps that may help. Thanks K