What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Been away for the weekend eaten loads of **** lol - morning reading is 7.5 .

I've been testing my bg reading for about a month now got a free monitor - my dad died in April and I was diagnosed type 2 a few weeks before he died and since then have lost 2 stone 4 pounds , I have eaten bad things and the blood readings are always below the recommended even after loads of high carb foods .

I think I'm due another blood test soon so will see how its going but weight loss is a big factor in the blood readings I think plus the stress levels have dropped from a million to around 10 since my dad's passing as he was seriously ill for years .

So morning readings of 7.5 and under even after eating , I'm happy with this :)

I can't function on LCHF i just feel so ill and have no energy and I need energy to look after my disabled mum as I am her full time carer .
Don't throw in the towel @WackyJacky64. This is a big learning curve. For me its been twelve years and I am still learning.

Reactions: Liam1955
D

debrasue

Why is everyone aiming for really low morning readings . It doesn't even recommend a morning test for type 2 diabetics . Am I missing something I don't understand ? Thanks
When you say "it", I assume you mean NHS guidelines? Some of us choose to follow a slightly different path and elect to keep a close check on our own (usually self-funded) readings for greater control. From my own personal point of view, I aim for a low daily FBG because this gives me an ongoing indication of the progress of my T2 and how well I am handling it. It also quickly highlights any potential problems so that I can address them before they become major issues.
This thread allows us to do all that, and we can also offer support and encouragement to each other as we do it.
Simples. :)
I hope this helps.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is everyone aiming for really low morning readings . It doesn't even recommend a morning test for type 2 diabetics . Am I missing something I don't understand ? Thanks

It is because a low morning reading is showing the overall control and an easy way to keep oneself on track in the longer run, if your morning numbers get higher than like 6.5 - 7.5 every days you are more likely to get the many adding conditions...

while reporting here daily you then have a daily goal to go for, what your have been eating of carbs and excess protein the days before will show in a raising/or all time higher morning blood glucose number..

a truely ideal optimal morning blood glucose number ( non diabetic ) is in the area around 4.5 mmol but very few diabetics can steadily be in that area .. but the closer to that the better...

in this forum we are a bunch of people that want not only to have an average bad control in the area of around 7-9mmol , but want to be in an area that truely protects us from becomming increasingly ill and handicapped from adding conditions... most of us do not believe type 2 diabetes has to be a slow progress towards a living hell, but believe we can take total control and avoid becomming part of the average statisticly depressing decay...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When you get your baseline, you can monitor consistently how your diabetes is hopefully resolving.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
It is because a low morning reading is showing the overall control and an easy way to keep oneself on track in the longer run, if your morning numbers get higher than like 6.5 - 7.5 every days you are more likely to get the many adding conditions...

while reporting here daily you then have a daily goal to go for, what your have been eating of carbs and excess protein the days before will show in a raising/or all time higher morning blood glucose number..

a truely ideal optimal morning blood glucose number ( non diabetic ) is in the area around 4.5 mmol but very few diabetics can steadily be in that area .. but the closer to that the better...

in this forum we are a bunch of people that want not only to have an average bad control in the area of around 7-9mmol , but want to be in an area that truely protects us from becomming increasingly ill and handicapped from adding conditions... most of us do not believe type 2 diabetes has to be a slow progress towards a living hell, but believe we can take total control and avoid becomming part of the average statisticly depressing decay...

A morning reading of 4.5 would not work for me, in the UK you have to be legally 5.0 minimum before you can drive a car (five to drive) if I was 4.5 before setting off to drive to work I'd eat something and check meter before driving to ensure I was minimum 5.0

If I crashed the car and was under 5.0 and the police can check if you are Diabetic then if they asked you to test and you were under 5.0 then you could end up in serious trouble

I found this out a DAFNE course I attended last year and it's now in my memory box

Reactions: ziggy_w

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A morning reading of 4.5 would not work for me, in the UK you have to be legally 5.0 minimum before you can drive a car (five to drive)

I found this out a DAFNE course I attended last year and it's now in my memory box

well yes you are right about that , and when it comes to diabetics injecting insuline or taking insuline affecting medication it is also not safe to be that low, because ones blood glucose could easily go lower and end up being life threatening...

a non diabetic person with a level of 4.5 mmol would not likely be given a fine because it is a more natural state that doesn´t fluctuate as much as it does in people injecting insuline or taking insuline affecting medication... I guess this law is made to avoid fatal accidents involving diabetics...

long before I was diabetic my levels were always 4.5 mmol when having random tests

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w