What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3.6 this morning - same as yesterday. Been getting a lot of readings below 4! which seems weird as I'm not on any medication but doing the Newcastle diet.

Maybe my meter is faulty!

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
3.6 this morning - same as yesterday. Been getting a lot of readings below 4! which seems weird as I'm not on any medication but doing the Newcastle diet.

Maybe my meter is faulty!

I think diabetics (particularly T2's) often just have poor glycemic control in general. Meaning poorer control of both lows and highs.

Many years ago when I was only pre-diabetic, my fasting levels would often be low like yours, but glucose tolerance tests showed much higher than normal spikes, indicating poor glycemic control in general. After my diabetes was "full blown" however they were always just too high.

If you're getting such low readings without any medication then I would say the the Newcastle diet has reversed your T2, at least back to pre-diabetes levels Jim. :)

Also, your levels might be so low because the Newcastle diet is a bit hypo caloric. If you're happy with your current weight then you might be better off with just a regular LCHF diet without calorie restriction.

Last edited by a moderator:

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think diabetics (particularly T2's) often just have poor glycemic control in general. Meaning poorer control of both lows and highs.

Many years ago when I was only pre-diabetic, my fasting levels would often be low like yours, but glucose tolerance tests showed much higher than normal spikes, indicating poor glycemic control in general. After my diabetes was "full blown" however they were always just too high.

If you're getting such low readings with any medication then I would say the the Newcastle diet has reversed your T2, at least back to pre-diabetes levels Jim. :)

Also, your levels might be so low because the Newcastle diet is a bit hypo caloric. If you're happy with your current weight then you might be better off with just a regular LCHF diet without calorie restriction.
Thanks uart, didn't consider glycemic control. Will do a bit of research.

I'm not sure the ND has reversed my Type 2 but I have considered it. I wonder if I should be asking for a test!

Just a few more kilos to lose then I'll be back on my low carb diet. When I was on the low carb diet my reading weren't as low.

Cheers

Jim :)

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
5.2 a little higher than usual but still nothing for concern.

Reactions: 2 people

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
7.5 this morning. Wish it would go back down ;)

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took two readings this morning, as my first reading was over 7.0 but I'd just put on hand cream, so I washed and dried my hands and got 6.3 o_O

Reactions: 4 people