What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I presented myself to A&E last night, as my sugar levels were rising, along with ketones, when I was assessed I was reading 12.5 and ketones of 0.2, 1 hour later 13.8 and ketones of 0.4. The doctor working took blood and assessed the results. He said there was no sign of an infection and was not worried about me.

Normally I would take this as a positive, but what I am seeing tends to lead me to worry slightly. Overnight my levels rose again quite hight, going to bed at 8.9 and 0.2 ketones, waking at 12.1 and 0.9 ketones at 6.30am. I took 2 units and went back to bed for 3 hours, waking at 12.5 and 0.2 ketones. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe I am being paranoid and it's because i'm newly diagnosed, but it's frightening at times.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
i know heres us all full of concern for our little mate :hilarious::hilarious:
But he gets away with it because of his sense of humour, you cannot help laugh you never know if he's joking or serious I've fallen for it too at beginning but hopefully not now,he's a joker but in a lovely friendly way. Mornings wouldn't be the same without his injection of funniness. Just keep us laughing you funny rogue!K

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But he gets away with it because of his sense of humour, you cannot help laugh you never know if he's joking or serious I've fallen for it too at beginning but hopefully not now,he's a joker but in a lovely friendly way. Mornings wouldn't be the same without his injection of funniness. Just keep us laughing you funny rogue!K
couldnt agree more k, spot on ;)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I presented myself to A&E last night, as my sugar levels were rising, along with ketones, when I was assessed I was reading 12.5 and ketones of 0.2, 1 hour later 13.8 and ketones of 0.4. The doctor working took blood and assessed the results. He said there was no sign of an infection and was not worried about me.

Normally I would take this as a positive, but what I am seeing tends to lead me to worry slightly. Overnight my levels rose again quite hight, going to bed at 8.9 and 0.2 ketones, waking at 12.1 and 0.9 ketones at 6.30am. I took 2 units and went back to bed for 3 hours, waking at 12.5 and 0.2 ketones. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe I am being paranoid and it's because i'm newly diagnosed, but it's frightening at times.
hi joeT1 my consultant told me not to worry about my ketones unless they went up to 1.5 my ketones wer 7.5 when i was diagnosed 6 mths ago but when im running high and i check mine can range from 0 - 0.4 but havent gone any higher have dns checked if your insulin levels for basal/bolus are correct hope your levels settle down for you soon:)also as your only newly diagnosed it does take time i was exactly the same as yourself but found this forum to be a wealth of information along with the advice from dns and consultant :)

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi joeT1 my consultant told me not to worry about my ketones unless they went up to 1.5 my ketones wer 7.5 when i was diagnosed 6 mths ago but when im running high and i check mine can range from 0 - 0.4 but havent gone any higher have dns checked if your insulin levels for basal/bolus are correct hope your levels settle down for you soon:)also as your only newly diagnosed it does take time i was exactly the same as yourself but found this forum to be a wealth of information along with the advice from dns and consultant :)

Hi Karen,

Yeah i spoke to my DNS today (she is very good trying to help me at weekends). She has told me to up my Levimir at night from 12 to 14 Units if my levels are over 8.5....which I can tell you now, they will be. Hopefully this might at least keep my levels stable overnight, because from what I have seen, when that is correct, then you can really dig into the insulin to carb ratio and see if it needs adjusting, which I suspect it does in the early evening/night time.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good Morning! 5.1 at 0710.

The view from my balcony:

103263210.jpg

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...wide awake at 04:30...quiet Sunday...needed it to overcome the challenge of making rainbow cookies & Chocolate muffins with my young neighbour next door (aged 7) on Saturday...finally have the kitchen back in order...how on earth did she manage to get butter cream icing all over the extractor fan...way over the other side of the room?...yes...I did sample a cookie...delicious...shortly after had a guilt trip...half an hour on the exercise bike took care of that...woke to a 5.3.

D

Diabeticliberty

Ich glaube, es ist Montag und wenn einer von euch denkt, dass ich auf dieser Seite von 5.00 Uhr aufstehe, dann brauche ich meinen Kopf. Using pallets I built myself a diabetic ski jump Eddie The Eagle stylee. My first jump was only 3.3metres and my waking blood sugars were the same 3.3mmols. May you all have a fine old ski jumping diabetic week.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
BG of 5.6 at 5.52am surprising since I did not get back from the Alice Cooper concert in Glasgow till about 1am this morning. As a concert it had it all - music, light show, theatrics. For someone about 58-70 years old his voice and energy was amazing.