What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There does seem to be something systemically wrong with our "doctoring system" sorry that you are at the sharp end of it.
It’s getting beyond a joke now. 2 whole months I’ve needed this insulin for, had to wait til end of sept just to sit down with my dsn. busting my back getting this new lifestyle change in place and results are lovely compared to my pre low carb. Miss the chaser jab for the protein and I may as well of ate a chippy or Chinese..

Edited by moderator for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s really getting me down @ziggy_w my father has only just passed away at 60, his main cause of death caused by diabetes, I’ve been nailing mine with low carb since end of June. August I needed the regular like dr b as protein is causing issues and I’m now stacking chasing it, if too much rapid is used at the off when I eat I go really low as protein hasn’t come in to play yet. I’ve explained this to both my dsn and gp, then I’m chasing the protein later and stacking..

Losing a parent is tough. I am so sorry you had to go through this. It is also scary to see the damage diabetes can cause first-hand.

Only reading about the complications of diabetes was enough to motivate me to seriously do something about it. So, well done you on taking such a proactive stance. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they switch your insulin to one better suited to your diet soon. Could other low-carb T1 may be help you with advice in the meantime?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ziggy that is a fine start to a morning. Hope you are well.

Hi @Diabeticliberty,

Yes, I was really happy to see my fasting blood sugars in the fours today, albeit high fours.

About three to four weeks ago, I had my check-up and the GP noticed high ketones in the urine. He sent me to the hospital for a blood gas analysis -- the result showed that my blood was slightly acidic.

I suspect, this was because too much exercise, not enough food and especially not enough protein for the previous one to two months. Anyway, my GP suggested to change my diet to reduce my ketones.

So, I've been trying to up my protein lately and reduce my exercise -- unfortunately at the costs of somewhat higher blood sugar levels (initially 1 mmol, now about 1/2 mmol) that didn't come down for many, many hours. So, quite frustrating since I seem to obsess easily. Happier now though after my blood sugars have settled a bit and ketones are a bit lower.

Diabeticliberty -- I am glad to hear about your grand day yesterday. What time did you get home? I am sure the headache will pass, but your memory of a fun birthday will remain.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
It’s getting beyond a joke now. 2 whole months I’ve needed this insulin for, had to wait til end of sept just to sit down with my dsn. busting my balls getting this new lifestyle change in place and results are lovely compared to my pre low carb. Miss the chaser jab for the protein and I may as well of ate a chippy or Chinese..

I'm t2 so I can't fully appreciate what you are going through. Hopefully you can get it resolved soon. Sadly the emphasis seems to be dispensing one size fits all "health solutions " rather than helping us become self sufficient in our own health needs

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Diabeticliberty,

Yes, I was really happy to see my fasting blood sugars in the fours today, albeit high fours.

About three to four weeks ago, I had my check-up and the GP noticed high ketones in the urine. He sent me to the hospital for a blood gas analysis -- the result showed that my blood was slightly acidic.

I suspect, this was because too much exercise, not enough food and especially not enough protein for the previous one to two months. Anyway, my GP suggested to change my diet to reduce my ketones.

So, I've been trying to up my protein lately and reduce my exercise -- unfortunately at the costs of somewhat higher blood sugar levels (initially 1 mmol, now about 1/2 mmol) that didn't come down for many, many hours. So, quite frustrating since I seem to obsess easily. Happier now though after my blood sugars have settled a bit and ketones are a bit lower.

Diabeticliberty -- I am glad to hear about your grand day yesterday. What time did you get home? I am sure the headache will pass, but your memory of a fun birthday will remain.
My understanding is ketones are not bad if sugars are not dangerously high. That’s from dr Bernstein’s book. In fact he says keytones are good if your numbers are in the right values.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is ketones are not bad if sugars are not dangerously high. That’s from dr Bernstein’s book. In fact he says keytones are good if your numbers are in the right values.

Thanks for your input, @Key_master_.

Yes, initially I wasn't concerned either -- especially as my GP was talking ketoacidosis -- which given a blood sugar level of 4.6 at the time of the urine test wasn't really a concern in my mind.

But then I was getting increasingly concerned, especially after the blood gas test, which showed a ph-level of 7.2 and low sodium bicarbonate levels. So, I googled this a bit and found that acidic blood levels can lead to muscle degeneration and bone loss in the long run -- so probably not a good thing.