What weight?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stepped up to 280 lbs (127 kilos) on the leg “sled”. I don’t know the correct name, but it’s the “free weight” leg press where you sit below it and press up, not the machine where sit upright you press out. 3 sets of 12-14 reps. A trainer stopped by to say my form was good, but wasn’t expecting I could lift that weight - 52 year old female. I dunno, everything I read on the internet says 2x weight is normal - I weigh about 145 pounds (66 kilos) So, was he just maybe trying to connect to solicit a client, or did it need a comment? I guess I’m asking, what’s typical on a leg press for you all?

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Wow! Great job! I used to lift some very high weights too with legs and the arms up until my late 40's and people would get on after me and then just stare. I think they just don't expect it. Nothing fancy either in food , a fake hot dog on sprouted bread with some oj in seltzer water after.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats a pretty heavy weight. Im a fit 35 year old bloke and i actually push about the same as that and im 80kg.. It depends what your trying to achieve though? Im keeping my weights low and reps high as im aiming to build stamina and cardio rather then increasing the size of my legs.

If your aim is building and increasing strength then thats very good progress!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many people out there (and quite a few of them female and older than 52 years) who 'press' more than that every time they stand up from a chair. So I think the trainer was just casually chatting, complimenting you on your form, and yes, quite likely connecting with a view to future business.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats a pretty heavy weight. Im a fit 35 year old bloke and i actually push about the same as that and im 80kg.. It depends what your trying to achieve though? Im keeping my weights low and reps high as im aiming to build stamina and cardio rather then increasing the size of my legs.

If your aim is building and increasing strength then thats very good progress!

Thanks for responding. Yes, at that point in my workout, the goal is to build muscle. I do exercises for conditioning, cardio, lengthening muscle too, but the leg press, for me, is aimed at Building muscle. It was just such an awkward comment and interaction it stuck in my head for some reason and I started googling what was normal, which is all over the board. That trainer needs to be taught to solicit clients while they are not in the middle of gutting out a heavy lift, with “gee, that’s a lot of weight. Good form but I wouldn’t expect you could do it”. Uh, thanks? I think?? :)

Reactions: Marie 2

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Great job! I used to lift some very high weights too with legs and the arms up until my late 40's and people would get on after me and then just stare. I think they just don't expect it. Nothing fancy either in food , a fake hot dog on sprouted bread with some oj in seltzer water after.

That’s awesome. Do you still lift? I still lack in arm strength, but it’s getting there.

My gym is the YMCA, so they do a lot of community outreach and such. If I go over on a weekday after lunch, it’s when the bus from the senior home arrives. Some of those Folks make my jaw drop. I did the calf raise machine after one petite lady easily in her 80s and had to *lower* the weight by 20 pounds. That was pretty humbling:)

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
No, we got really busy at work and I was there long hours so I ended up stopping. That lifting ability and being able to move things around ended up being helpful at work though and then I became out of the habit. I originally started getting into it at a Gold's Gym. But I maxed out a couple of the arm machines, I had only managed to max out one of the leg ones. This was about 15 years ago when I was in my late 40's. I didn't look musclely, although my neck muscles were larger. I remember admiring Spice Williams years ago, the first vegan body builder and extremely successful, now she had muscles!!!!! I didn't want those, but I certainly admired her, she went on to a successful stunt career and played one of the Klingons in a Star Trek movie, makes sense right??