Type 1 What would cause an incorrect low reading?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi guys!

Been doing some trial and error lately, slowly introducing carbs back into my diet as HFLC wasn't working. Currently taking 35 units of Lantus at 10pm before bed, and slowly dropping that dose to try and go by the 40-50% basal rule as I am taking loads of Lantus and hardly any Novorapid. Levels have been better the last few days, I even ate a few chips last night and I cried because my after dinner reading was the exact same as my pre dinner reading, which has never happened on low carb.

Anyway, today I tried some breakfast biscuits. I woke up at 10.7mmol, took 2 units for the breakfast biscuits (28g carb), I know I likely would need 3 units for that, but it's an experiment. 3 hours later I am sat at 15 but I expected that to be a lot higher as I even had a coffee with milk. I knew I was gonna have an 11g carb cereal bar at lunch with my avocado chicken salad so I took 2 units before lunch and carried on.

About 4pm, I tested. I felt fine. Metre takes a little bit of a delay for a result but I get a 4.3. I am shocked and confused and start to panic and feel weird (probably psychological anxiety fake hypo symptoms)... did a second test on the other finger, 10.8. Third test, 10.3. I ate a few biscuits just to be safe, did another three tests in the next half hour and get a 9.9, a 10.2 and another 10.2. I have EXTREME anxiety around hypos so I was testing a lot and even on a second metre when I got home. I went up to 11.2, then 13.0. Considering I ate 28g carbs again, this isn't much of a rise compared to this morning. This suggests my basal is likely too high but this is all an experiment.

My question is, what the heck caused a 4.3 reading!?!?! I've never in my 8 years of diabetes had a false low reading!

Oh, and FYI, I know my levels are high, but for the last year or so my levels have been running between 13 and 20 constantly, so seeing 10s and 11s is an amazing improvement in 2 days of eating carbs again.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Dodgy test strip?
Wet hands?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I get false lows every few months with my meter. When you have no hypo symptoms and a reading of 1.7 you can be sure that it's the meter and not you....( plus the follow up reading is normal)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It just happens, when it's not an expected result just retest. False lows or highs just seem to occur sometimes. Maybe it's something on your finger, maybe it's water or damp got into the strip or?????

By the way I am a vegan and eat what I want, you don't have to be HFLC for you to get good numbers. It's all about dosing and for me prebolusing.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I don't think it was wet, but it was certainly weird! Thanks for the reassurance guys that I am not alone. I really freaked out and didn't trust my meter due to changes with my diet and insulin I thought I was low. It's funny how a false low can psychologically trigger hypo symptoms!