Type 2 What would you do

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
I have had Diabetes type 2 for 15 years fully controlled by diet and lots of exercise but for the first 6 months of this year I decided to just come off of my diet and stopped testing as I was really cheesed off with my strict low carb diet regime for all these years(I am a very active 77 year old) I ate sausage rolls/apple pie and custard and biscuits and just a nip of sugar in my coffee I really felt great mentally in a happy place but the results of my Ha1bc on July 13th was I had put a stone on my weight and a reading of 55 /7.2 mol , I immediately went back to my strict low carb 60/80 a day and walking 5000/10,000 steps across rough terrain every day and have resumed testing but I have the choice risk damaged organs and be unhappy or eat what I like within reason and be content and happy afterall 77 is a good age:)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the choice risk damaged organs and be unhappy or eat what I like within reason and be content and happy afterall 77 is a good age:)
Can you find a middle ground of compromise?
And what about having a conversation with your doctor on medication to add to a more relaxed diet?
If a more relaxed diet improves your quality of life, and the medication reduces your BG just a tad, this may be just the mix that is right for you.

I agree with the age thing, you're not trying to prevent complications thirty years in the future, and your numbers are by no means ridiculously high. And medication can be stopped again if you turn out to have unacceptable to you side effects.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
And what about having a conversation with your doctor on medication to add to a more relaxed diet?
If a more relaxed diet improves your quality of life, and the medication reduces your BG just a tad, this may be just the mix that is right for you.

I agree with the age thing, you're not trying to prevent complications thirty years in the future, and your numbers are by no means ridiculously high. And medication can be stopped again if you turn out to have unacceptable to you side effects.
Good evening @Antje77 and thank you, the diet has always been my choice haven't seen a doctor in 3 years even when they ring me with the Ha1bc results its the Pharmacist that rings I am against medication but many thanks for your input its very much appreciated :)

• Agree
Reactions: filly and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am against medication but many thanks for your input its very much appreciated :)
Perfectly valid choice too, it's all about balancing what is best for you, and what is best is not always the same as the lowest hba1c!

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would hazard a guess that the increase in HbA1c has a direct correlation to weight gain. Lose the weight by any suitable means (or diet) and it will probably fix your worry.

I am one who chooses to use a small holding dose of medication so that I can be flexible in my diet. So I am able to eat toast and tatties daily and still maintain my HbA1c below 47. That is my halfway house solution to my problem and it is relatively stress free.

Last edited: