What's Being Done?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I, like other people have problems with some of the thinking regarding T2 diabetes. When you get diagnosed they ask if any other blood relatives have it since it is genetic.

Then they tell you to lose weight. Does this imply that Fat Git Syndrome might be the cause?

If so why don't they ask who sits at the same dinner table as you.

Also if the HCP's only know how to give out pills why do they give you a diet sheet saying things like, "eat carbohydrates with every meal", etc.

Don't panic everyone, I've only had two glasses, I'll get more sensible after four or so.

Reactions: zand

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I am surprised that you did not refer to the recent info posted on the Forum regarding the sponsors behind Diabetes,org, and their funding, A similar list appears when looking at who supports NICE and PHE. Many older drugs trials were paid for by the very same drug companies that were being tested, and surprise, surprise these all have exaggerated support for the drug use. The statistical analysis methods used by NICE and the media have been proven to have been suspect, and have been withdrawn for use by anyone except NICE, who continue to use it for justification of their claims.

While these remain in effect then there is no possibility of the NHS even considering making changes to what info they give to our HCP's, so these vested interests are what are holding us back.

The media is starting to give our message some airtime and the door is open a crack. But the Big Pharma / Big Agric lobby is very strong, and money talks.

Edit to add: If you want a good laugh / cry, then read the following:
http://blog.bitingfit.co.uk/?p=183
It is a Blog, so is only a person's point of view, and is not proper evidence, but is interesting. I know for a fact that DUK is in bed with ASDA, and their 2015 Conference was sponsored by Coca Cola. These details were shown on their website, and printed on their literature at the time. No mention of it on their website now,.
Hi @Oldvatr ..
Fair comment .. I could (should?) have mentioned all these points and I'm glad that you have .. thanks for that. Hopefully our posts put together cover a good portion of the garbage that we are fed and the c**p that is really going on.

Additional note to @SockFiddler .. with your experience of evidence-gathering, analysis and lobbying, I really hope that this thread proves to be helpful, even if we can't put up a petition at this stage

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found this nugget:
http://aemmedi.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2007_AMD_SID_italian_standards_diabetes_mellitus.pdf

Seems the diet recommended is low fat, rich carbs, with GI control recommended See Page 46 onward of this report.
Newer one has the guidelines slighty changed:
http://www.standarditaliani.it/skin/www.standarditaliani.it/pdf/STANDARD_2016_June20.pdf

THey still say that it's not advisable to go on a diet uner 130 g/day of carbs but a mediterranean diet or a low carboyhdtade diet or a low carb/low calorie is useful for weight loss.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The X-Pert training is being pushed hard in Stockport, I have not been on it, but I know the people who wrote it believe in reducing how much curb you eat.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for tagging me in @tim2000s . I've only just caught up with this thread, having been occupied on other things today.

I think it is very fair to say that DCUK are trying very hard to get the message out there and to improve the health outcomes of people with diabetes. Their work is tireless, and award winning, however changing guidelines and beliefs of treatment regimes takes a very long time.

I am fortunate to work closely enough with the site founders/owners and others at DCUK to appreciate just some of the things going on behind the scenes. Some of it happens very quietly indeed, and some of it creates more waves. Indeed, there was an article in today's Times newspaper (and online) commenting on the LC Diet. For those who subscribe the content is here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/diabetes-diet-disputed-after-claim-it-saved-nhs-7-8m-f9c2q9vzj .

Not as any form of buck-passing, but to allow the @Administrator to contribute, should he have the time to do so and choose to. I can't comment on his availability .

In the meantime, I think it is up to us all to do what we can ourselves in getting the word out there. Please do bear in mind though that different forms of diabetes and some individuals may require complex management regimes, and/or ways of eating; whether low carb or not, and as members of the Forum, we have agreed to respect other people's dietary choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinredbreast

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The X-Pert training is being pushed hard in Stockport, I have not been on it, but I know the people who wrote it believe in reducing how much curb you eat.

The X-Pert course was founded by Dr. Trudi Deakin.
She is a member of this forum and has taken loads of information from volunteer members (including myself) that are following a low carb/high fat diet, and has presented the results to some of the Powers that Be.
She wrote a book entitled Eat Fat.
However, because her courses are contracted by the NHS she has to cover other diets in addition to low carb.

My Diabetes Nurse has a copy of her Eat Fat book as my practice uses the X-Pert courses, and my nurse is one of the course presenters.

https://www.xperthealth.org.uk/

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is all amazing and really encouraging. Thanks to everyone for commenting and leaving such fab info - I'm still catching up on it all.

I can't access that article (£26/month subs are too much for a newspaper imho!) but I was able to read this paragraph which I'm guessing pretty much sums it up:

"Tens of thousands of people with diabetes have ignored official advice and switched to the diet, saying that it helped them to lose weight and improved their condition. However, Public Health England has condemned as “irresponsible” sweeping claims about its health benefits."

This all puts me in mind of a fascinating documentary I watched a while ago called "Milk" and is about the Milk Lobby in the US and it managed to gain huge prominence (watch here for £3.84: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/milk ) including on the triangle of healthy foods where it gained undue priority with the remaining dairy products relegated to a mere subset.

Could it be there there's a "grain" lobby? That, already hurting from the meteoric rise of the anti-gluten movement, is pushing harder than ever to ensure its future by urging opposition to low-carb diets? I'm aware of how silly that might sound, but farming is a funny industry anyway (farmers paid not to produce etc...) and, well, the Milk doc makes it clear that even the most bonkers stories can be true. (See how I avoided "grain of truth" there? :D)

Incidentally, this blog http://blog.bitingfit.co.uk/?p=183 was horrific reading. It's hard not to be cynical when you read that Coke has its fingers in so many pots, including sport and the Olympics, diabetes, even children's nutrition. I wish he'd linked his sources to save anyone having to do that work all over again.

With all that said, though, things that people have written here do sound encouraging and I've got fingers crossed that, slowly, a wave of change is gaining pace.

Reactions: Speedbird

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Could it be there there's a "grain" lobby? That, already hurting from the meteoric rise of the anti-gluten movement, is pushing harder than ever to ensure its future by urging opposition to low-carb diets?

Not silly. You only have to look at the sponsors and members of the British Nutrition Foundation who are one of the main advisors.

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/aboutbnf/supporters/memberorganisations.html

and what they say

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/healthydiet.html

Reactions: jonbvn

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not silly. You only have to look at the sponsors and members of the British Nutrition Foundation who are one of the main advisors.

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/aboutbnf/supporters/memberorganisations.html

and what they say

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/healthydiet.html
Thank you I could not find this list since my bookmarks get deleted when Windows updates. I need to set up a different filing system since I have lost so much research info. Thanks Bill (Gates), I would mark this as funny, but I suppose Informative is more appropriate. So sad.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The "Doctor In the House" TV programs resulted in me finding out about LCHF.

linnylinny

So there's goodness-knows how many people on this forum alone, more or less all saying the NHS (NICE) guidelines are wrong in that:

- T2's need access to BG testing facilities
- Obesity doesn't specifically cause diabetes
-Metformin is miserable
- Carbs are the enemy.
- The Eatwell Plate is wrong.
- NHS diabetes education is outdated.

There seems to be no standard approach when it comes to how the NHS treats patients; some are offered education and some are not. Some are given meters (but not test strips) some are not. Some are given counselling and information and some are not.

All this backed by significant evidence to boot.

Is there a lobbying arm somewhere that is pushing the DoH to look again at diabetes management in the UK? To reconsider recent research and studies and at least change the guidance on the NHS website so that low-carb diets aren't dismissed as faddy and alternative?

Almost without exception, we've all learned that the NHS isn't serving our needs. But what's being done about it?

Found this link: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Campaigning/Our-work-in-Parliament/

Pondering it.
. don't follow the NHS as they have no plans for getting anyone well and healthy, disease management program.lol

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding milk, it is vital for making butter; without milk, no butter.

Reactions: SockFiddler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I could not find this list since my bookmarks get deleted when Windows updates. I need to set up a different filing system since I have lost so much research info. Thanks Bill (Gates), I would mark this as funny, but I suppose Informative is more appropriate. So sad.

Really? It hasn't happened to me, yet. Maybe I will save them all somewhere else, just in case.
EDIT. Exported from Chrome, so all is well

Last edited:

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(Chrome seems to take care of my bookmarks - and share them with my phone, my Kindle, blah blah)

Coke and Pepsi are both corporate partners in the British Nutrition Foundation.

I particularly like this bit:

"Corporate membership is open to organisations, companies and corporations from a range of backgrounds, such as banking, insurance, the food chain, health care, fitness, IT and media.

We believe that our focus on objective nutrition science interpretation and delivery by experienced and skilled in-house staff, our extensive networks in education, academia and the health professions, and our experience over many decades of working with government and with food companies to make nutrition science accessible, provides tangible benefits for our members." (Not the public)

Translation: If you have the money, we'll make the science fit.

I'm still gobsmacked by how brazenly it's all taking place. How obvious. How the recommended adult daily intake of sugar increased by 5g a day on the last revision to "reflect new thinking". My only surprise is the lack of companies that make medicine for heart, kidney and liver patients as, I guess, they're the ultimate beneficiaries.

It's hard not to be cynical.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is all amazing and really encouraging. Thanks to everyone for commenting and leaving such fab info - I'm still catching up on it all.

I can't access that article (£26/month subs are too much for a newspaper imho!)
I signed up, no credit card details needed and apparently I get access to two free articles (?) per day or something, rather than the whole publication. I only did it to see the complete article. Very interesting worth signing up for.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The powers that be at best in my opinion will in-time sanction one or more alternative methods such as LCHF, Newcastle Diet and hybrids, but I fear they cannot tinker too much in the short term, due to the vested interests - this is more powerful than the smoking lobby, there are unquantifiable amounts of money, infrastructures and massive corporations that will not just fess up and say ok we know a lot of what we are peddling is not in mankind's best interests. The major problem is "us" by us I mean the general public. I remember when Jamie Oliver tried to help out in schools dinners, just to see parents passing fast food to their kids. Junk food just is too easy, quick, is tasty, addictive and cheap.

However all you have to do is see the popularity of some mainstream books that can have significant benefits for diabetes such as Joe Wicks "Lean in 15" and Cooking for Family & Friends, respectively both of these have circa 35% and 45% sections headed up "Reduced - Carb". There's Dr Clare Bailey's "the 8-week blood sugar diet" and Tom Kerridge's "Dopamin Diet", which is almost completely low carb. These books have sold by the bucket load. In addition "low carb" for example has a massive search rate. In terms of "diets" low carb diets are well represented in terms of popularity http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/top-10-most-popular-diets-review.aspx.

The work that @Squire Fulwood referenced conducted by the PHC is superb and with so many Dr's on board offers credibility to the cause, as does this site / diet doctor. The problem is that the information and choices in all the resources we have are not necessarily known by Mr or Ms Joe / Josey public, who do deserve to have state backed choices - look at how the "low fat" mantra has been a raving success, whereas fat is general has been demonised under one umbrella which includes the good ones.

Reactions: Speedbird

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm grateful for all the low-fat shaming I've experienced over the years, because it's making the notion of cooking off 4 packs of belly pork at once all the more fun now. I just boiled off 10 eggs, too. And now I'm about to enjoy some brocolli and full-fat houmous. All of this (bar the brocolli) has been stuff I've been guided to be careful about and made to feel guilty about enjoying in the past.

No more! My moment of quiet rebellion has come! I will crackle and dip and mix with mayo regardless of what the British Nutritional (and Special Interests) Foundation have to say about that!