What's going on?

submarinerLV

Hi all. Pump user for 4 years and I still don't get what's going on with the following:

If I don't do any exercise, have a low stressful day, everything stays in check with my levels and I get consistently good readings. So therefore my bolus and basal doses are fine.

However that is not reality for me. I can wake up with a level of 6.6 like I did today and 30 mins to an hour later when testing before I do anything for breakfast I rose to 9.0 and this is without eating anything. The pump stays on but I notice that maybe I'm anxious or stressed. That puts levels up right?

Second point, exercise. I tested before exercise and I was 8.8. Gave myself 2 units before commencing exercise, took the pump off so I had those 2 units on board and I didn't want my pump flying all over the place with the intense exercise I was doing. After exercise I tested and I was 11.1.

What is going on all round guys? It gets me down.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do you basal test over night?

Have uploaded picture of my basal patterns.... As soon as i wake my bg rises... DP really affects me...
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1421529689.194917.jpg

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
On this AM shift pattern for winters you will see that my basal rate literally doubles..

However, to get my levels right I do one night of tests at midnight, 2am, 4am and 6am and the next night 1,3,5 and 7am. I just do this the week after the clocks change.

I also have a shift for my hubby working pm shifts too.

I also have a rate set up for summer (after clocks change) for both am & pm shifts too.

I would advise doing a couple nights of basal testing as above and also checking your blood one hourly for 3 hours after getting up as well..

I am pretty exact with my testing.... It works for me...others will do things differently....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I garden as a living doing hours of physical work. I never take my oump off.

If you are exercising taking the pump off is (too me) just going to shove your levels up 2 hours later.

You gave yourself 2 units to lower your levels and then took pump off? Was the 2 units purely to get levels down? In which case you have just set your body up for conflict of not coping....

I don't know from what you have written whether you are beforehand?

submarinerLV

Thank you for sharing. My basal during the night seems spot on for what I have at present. It doesn't seem to move. The problem arises once I get up even with the pump connected. Blood sugar rises quickly. Could it be to do with stress / anxiety? Just want to put it right. Same for exercise too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It may well be stress or anxiety but it may well be that you are suffering from DP now. (Dawn phenomenan) so you need to be altering your basals 3 and 2 hour before you are getting up

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You need to check 1 hr before you get up and also getting up and 2hrs after... And adjust.

Stress cannot be quantified ... However... Stress would be more likely to increase all your bloods... Not just getting up