What's happening??

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I don't understand what is going on! - my FBG this morning was 9.8!! I've never had this high a reading. I posted last week to say that my A1C has risen to 7.1% so I will need to see the diabetic nurse at the end of the month. My evening meal last night was a roast lamb dinner with one small potato and one small Yorkshire (these were my only carbs) and then before bed I at a few walnuts but I cannot understand this high reading this morning. Also, I have been taking meal replacement drinks (Almased) for breakfast and lunch in order to reduce my calories to lose weight (I weighed myself this morning like I usually do on a Monday) and I have lost weight which is a bonus.

It seems that as soon I've started on the weight loss programme, my BS has increased whereas I thought it would bring them down. I don't understand what is happening, it's as if my body is saying "I know what you're trying to do but I won't let you".

I was on a mission to try and reverse my diabetes like so many others but as soon as I've put my mind to it, it's fighting back :-(

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had a look at the low carb programme. It's definitely worth a look. I personally do not think that meal replacement drinks are the answer having tried them with no success. I have lost about 10 pounds in 5 week on low carb and not feeling at all hungry. My BS has come down from 8'sin morning to around the 5/6 mark. Take care.

Reactions: Mal37
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I've just looked in the Almased site and can't see any nutritional breakdown. Is it low carb?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Avocado Sevenfold The low carb program is amazing and has wonderful results.
The total amount of carbs in your Almased alone is over my daily tolerance. I think it has 15 per serving if mixed with water.

Reactions: Freema

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree with @Avocado Sevenfold The low carb program is amazing and has wonderful results.
The total amount of carbs in your Almased alone is over my daily tolerance. I think it has 15 per serving if mixed with water.

I thought that Almased was the best meal replacement drink for diabetics as it's well advertised for being diabetic friendly and all the other shakes have high sugar content but will have another look at the nutritional information on it and I may take it along to the diabetic nurse to show her.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've just looked in the Almased site and can't see any nutritional breakdown. Is it low carb?

I will have a look at the website as it should say on there as I am not near my Almased at the moment but I thought it was the best diabetic friendly shake out there, all the others have high sugar content in them ie Slimfast being one of them.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Thanks for pointing this out although I thought Almased was one of the best ones out there for diabetics.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Optifast was used in the Newcastle Diet experiment but I don't know what the nutritional information is on that without having a look.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand what is going on! - my FBG this morning was 9.8!! I've never had this high a reading. I posted last week to say that my A1C has risen to 7.1% so I will need to see the diabetic nurse at the end of the month. My evening meal last night was a roast lamb dinner with one small potato and one small Yorkshire (these were my only carbs) and then before bed I at a few walnuts but I cannot understand this high reading this morning. Also, I have been taking meal replacement drinks (Almased) for breakfast and lunch in order to reduce my calories to lose weight (I weighed myself this morning like I usually do on a Monday) and I have lost weight which is a bonus.

It seems that as soon I've started on the weight loss programme, my BS has increased whereas I thought it would bring them down. I don't understand what is happening, it's as if my body is saying "I know what you're trying to do but I won't let you".

I was on a mission to try and reverse my diabetes like so many others but as soon as I've put my mind to it, it's fighting back :-(

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here.
You are following a meal replacement diet but then eating an evening meal? Neither of which (the meal replacement or the evening meal) is low carb? I can see why your bloods are going a bit wild.
Have you tried ultra low carb yet? It seems to work for a lot of people whereas the ultra low calorie has a more mixed success rate although certain people here rave about it. I would suggest you try either one or the other for a month and stick to it rigidly and watch your results then.

Reactions: Freema and jonbvn

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I didn't have any breakfast this morning apart from x3 brazil nuts which I have every morning and tested a few mins ago 2 hours later and it is down to 8.8 but still high for me. I will test again before lunch and see then.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that Almased was the best meal replacement drink for diabetics as it's well advertised for being diabetic friendly and all the other shakes have high sugar content but will have another look at the nutritional information on it and I may take it along to the diabetic nurse to show her.

Your nurse will probably quote the NHS mantra and tell you that carbs are essential for you.
Your meter will tell you what works for you

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Almased contains honey and about 15g of carbs a serving, Optifast about 20g so neither is ideal as it would be all to easy to reach over 100g a day if you're also eating stuff like pots and Yorkshires.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just tested before lunch and BS seems to have stuck so 8.9 and just eaten some tinned smoked mussels and will test 2HPM. I think I will lay off the Almased and see what happens but something has happened that have caused this rise in BS levels. I hope by the time I see the nurse at the end of the month I will have lost a bit more weight and BS have stabilised. It's really baffling me cos I've literally nearly cut down my carb intake to hardly anything, I used to be able to tolerate carbs a lot better before. I'm on quite a lot of medication so wonder if that's got anything to do with it although I have been taking medication for some years.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think most of us USED to tolerate carbs much better, until we didn't.

I 100% agree to ditch the meal replacements. How about a hard boiled egg with your Brazil nuts? Salad with avocado and protein for lunch. Dinner broccoli or another above ground veg with butter instead of potato?

I'm not trying to be harsh but you are not low carb in many of our minds. Replace your carbs with fat and veggies? Most of us have given up a lot of our beloved foods. Sad as it may be it looks like it's time for you to change the diet again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to agree with @Kristin251 and others in that your idea of low carb is not quite the same as others.

I know nothing about meal replacement drinks, and could never have considered these when I was first starting, but I do know that with your higher numbers and medication, even a small potato and small yorkie should be off your menu until you gain better control.. Roast dinners are easy to keep low carb without these carby additions. Extra veggies and NO gravy is the way to go. (did you have gravy, and which veggies did you have?) You can use the meat juices for moisture, and butter on all the veggies.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just tested before lunch and BS seems to have stuck so 8.9 and just eaten some tinned smoked mussels and will test 2HPM. I think I will lay off the Almased and see what happens but something has happened that have caused this rise in BS levels. I hope by the time I see the nurse at the end of the month I will have lost a bit more weight and BS have stabilised. It's really baffling me cos I've literally nearly cut down my carb intake to hardly anything, I used to be able to tolerate carbs a lot better before. I'm on quite a lot of medication so wonder if that's got anything to do with it although I have been taking medication for some years.

Sweetie, in no-one's world are you low-carbing. But that doesn't mean there isn't a reason for the sudden change in your levels, so keep a good eye on it and ring your DSN if anything deteriorates. Don't wait for the appointment if you need help.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Too much junk in meal replacements too.

I make a great low carb gravy if you want gravy. It's just mushrooms, garlic, broth, olive oil, sage, oregano salt and pepper all blended until creamy. No thickeners, starch, sweeteners etc.

I also find some avocado on the side keeps me very satisfied and slows any rise.

Potato of any kind spikes me. Use cauliflower rice or blend it with butter and herbs and it will look like mashed potato.

Don't think about what you have to give up but think of what you can add and / or change/ convert. It takes a little while but it will fast become routine.

I would NEVER lose weight with that many carbs.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Too much junk in meal replacements too.

I make a great low carb gravy if you want gravy. It's just mushrooms, garlic, broth, olive oil, sage, oregano salt and pepper all blended until creamy. No thickeners, starch, sweeteners etc.

I also find some avocado on the side keeps me very satisfied and slows any rise.

Potato of any kind spikes me. Use cauliflower rice or blend it with butter and herbs and it will look like mashed potato.

Don't think about what you have to give up but think of what you can add and / or change/ convert. It takes a little while but it will fast become routine.

I would NEVER lose weight with that many carbs.

Is there a 'drool' smilie? :hungry: Close enough.

Superb advice, Kristin.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also had lamb - well it was hogget, slightly older and less fatty, but I had a small serving of peas with it, and then a small bowl of berries and cream.
If I had eaten potato and Yorkshire pudding with it, I would still have a higher than average BG reading - they are both densely carbohydrate foods and although I hope one day I'll be able to eat a small Yorkshire pudding once in a while, it is not going to happen today. If I had wanted to eat more then I'd have made some cauliflower or maybe mushrooms.
I can't give you the number of carbs I eat - I'm eating to my meter now rather than carb counting, but I used to be able to lose weight on more carbs too, now I just keep my BG numbers low and am going along happily.

Reactions: kittypoker