What's it like to be T2?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Wow, Brunneria, what a tremendously incisive description. Brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@andcol
...That got really complicated really fast ._.
Is T2 amylin resistant as well? I'm just asking because you said that if you don't eat your liver still pumps out sugar.
Sounds like it's all directly proportional. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
How'd you know which link to break in the cycle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
To answer your last question first: it doesn't matter which link you break. For me initially I fasted. This had two effects. Put me into ketosis so I reduced my muscles reliance on glucose so they were not starved. The other thing of long term fasting is that your body "burns" the fat in your liver and pancreas and this lets the hormones released for/by the pancreas and liver be recognised at normal levels.

Now to answer your first question: Not really - well not to the same level as T1. In simple terms because the beta cells are not functioning fully when the glucose levels rise they do not fire until the levels get high. At this point the amylin is released but the delay causes the glucose levels to be higher than it should be.

As for the liver the alpha cells still continue to release glucogon and so the liver eventually releases glucose when your levels get low. However, as the glucose levels raise the pancreas is delayed in releasing its insulin and turning off the alpha cells.

hope that helps

darren10000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots and Stuck Up Wan~!ers
I was recently diagnosed as T1 but I was just wondering. So what's it like to be T2? :) I get that T2 is insulin resistant? Sorry if I accidentally offend anyone with weird questions!
Its really great, you end up totally f&%£ed up, I was diagnosed back in 2000 and didn't take much notice. Started controlling it by diet, then metformin and glicazide, then insulin. I didn't bother looking after myself and now I'm proper ******** up. Both my legs are shot, ulcers and lymphodema plus both feet completely numb, I've lost 2 toes and next thing will probably be my right leg owing to a nasty attack of celluitis last year which progressed into septicemia and pneumonia and i can't walk more than 50yds or stand for more than a minute or two. My fingers are going numb now and my eyes aren't to clever either. I feel knackered all the time, can't sleep and have a nasty opiate problem now thanks to all the Morphine I've been taking for the last 4 years. Insulin doesn't seem to work any more. I typically shoot up 100u of lantus and between 50u & 75u twice a day of Novorapid and am barely keeping my Bm's in single figures. One bit of advice...treat this disease with the sincerity it deserves because before you know it, its too late, you've only just been diagnosed so if you look after yourself you should live a long a happy life. Look after yourself mate & good luck with it all.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using DCUK Forum mobile app

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand
You're funny. There's an obesity epidemic in my country as well. They recently started offering national health insurance but it doesn't make that much of a difference because it gets you a visit but not help. When I was diagnosed all the doctor said was "you have diabetes", prescribed some novolin, gave me the number for the local DRI and told me to go buy syringes. No pamphlets, no instructions on how to give a shot and no hba1c. It wasn't until my mother took me to a different doctor for a second opinion that I got all that stuff, insulin pens, dexcom education, and booklets on diabetes. I also got a dietician and my hba1c taken. I didn't even know what this "hba1c" thing was. She also put me in contact with 2 diabetics close to my age so I wouldn't feel so alone. It was a good thing we had insurance though because even though I got all that stuff it was really expensive.

When you first cut out all the high carb stuff was it hard? My friend wants me to try this paleo diet with him because he thinks I'm in the honeymoon stage but I've never been good at dieting so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Oh I'm so sorry that your first doctor wasn't more help to you, that must have been dreadful being newly diagnosed and pretty much left in the dark.

My low carb story is a bit different to most peoples' experience. After my trip to the doctor who gave me 2 useless diets which she promised would help if only I had the willpower to stick to them ( I did stick to them, the diets didn't help) I thought I was the only one in the world who couldn't lose weight. I felt so isolated. I realised that I couldn't keep cutting calories and had to find a different way.

I have told this story a few times on the forum before, but you did ask.....! Several years ago my son and I were in the habit of having bacon butties for breakfast. One day I was short of bread so gave the bread to my son and I just had the bacon. Normally I ate breakfast at maybe 7.30 and then was starving hungry by 10 am when I needed a snack. I was always hungry back then. Well that day I had less breakfast than usual and didn't even think of food until 1pm!! I was less tired too. I noticed I had the same reaction when I left out mashed potato and jacket potatoes. So I gradually cut the 'white carbs' out of my diet (and by 'white' carbs I also mean their wholemeal alternatives too) . I read somewhere that natural, whole fats were best, so I switched back to using butter, whole milk and lard. I gradually drifted into what I now know to be LCHF. I don't miss the bland big carb items most of the time now.

So no it wasn't hard for me as I was following how I felt and I felt better cutting the carbs. Also at that stage I wasn't diabetic, so there was no pressure, no urgency to get it right.

If I were you I would make the changes slowly and find a diet that you are happy to live with for life. It's then not a diet at all - it's a lifestyle. You probably still are in the honeymoon stage, so use it to give yourself a bit of leeway to experiment with the changes you are willing to make and those which wouldn't be acceptable to you long term. Some T1s find that low carbing helps them even out the highs and lows in their BGs because the less carbs you have the less insulin you need so in turn there's less margin for error in your insulin dose, so the less risk of hypos. Paleo isn't for everyone, but it may suit you. The same with low carb high fat, it's a personal thing.

Good luck in finding what's right for you. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I heard that a lot of people had type 2 but I never realized how much until my mom told some of her friends I was diabetic and she returned home knowing that 7 of her friends are or are married to type 2s and that her lawyer is also one.

My mum married to a T2.. He had a "sheltered" time, due to his son not giving the "stoopid comments" that other T2s have accounted...;)

Lawyers? Forget stuffy law.. T2s like Eddie Moohan also get to do cool stuff like play bass for the metal band Diamondhead..!! :cool: