Whats Next

lj1921

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
Just been to Dr and my HBA1C is 72(8.7) which is the 3rd HBA1C increase ( 62(7.8),64(8) )in the last 9 months, I am now on 2000MG metformin and 320Mg Gliclazide as well as tablets for Coronary Artery disease, high blood pressure, Cholesterol, and was wondering if anybody had any idea what would be the next step if in 3 months my HBA1C has again increased.
Thanks
John

BPM

Dislikes
An irrational hatred of Tottenham Hotspurs ;)
My auntie has just been put on Insulin as she returned 11.7 on her Hb1ac test - perhaps it will be the same for you.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
lj1921 said:
Hi All
Just been to Dr and my HBA1C is 72(8.7) which is the 3rd HBA1C increase ( 62(7.8),64(8) )in the last 9 months, I am now on 2000MG metformin and 320Mg Gliclazide as well as tablets for Coronary Artery disease, high blood pressure, Cholesterol, and was wondering if anybody had any idea what would be the next step if in 3 months my HBA1C has again increased.
Thanks
John

As the previous poster says.....more than likely Insulin or another injectable med such as Byetta or Victoza which are both very effective.

However, more to the point you are on max doses of Metformin and Gliclazide. Which leads to a question about your diet ? What sort of things do you eat ?

I too used to be on max doses of both but found that the root cause of that was my poor diet. I followed all the advice about diet that the NHS/DUK put out. It was only after many years, of doing this and gaining weight, increasing Bg levels that I realised that the cause was that self same diet........ It wasn't healthy or wise for me to follow.

Once I changed my diet by reducing carbohydrate consumption, increased my exercise, went onto Byetta things changed. I have now lost over 5½ stone, got Bg levels all well within my target levels, improved health and fitness to levels I had years ago. I now no longer take any Glic, am only on 1g Met per day and hoping to stop that soon. Leaving just the Byetta which I have also reduced by half and it does work well for me.

It may be you need to go back to basics and start again rather than just accept that you need more medication to control your Diabetes. Maybe you are doing everything right......maybe not ?

Just a thought.........

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Snap!
My GP added JANUVIA 100mg
on top of my
Metformin
Gliclazide

You could ask your GP can you try something else before you go onto insulin

Or as Cugila said re look at your diet ?

I See you have been kicking around on here for some time so not a Novice ,
like me you may have to move up the ladder with Meds :?

Ps the JANUVIA is working for me very well :p

Bob