Whats the best cream

• Thread starter Deleted member 538891
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to all,

I have really dry feet and heels used lots of cream including O keeffes for healthy feet dosnt seem to be working very well.
Dose anyone know of one that does work for cracked heels ect i have used a file that dosnt help either.
I dont have any moisture in my feet for some reason.

Sparklebright62.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all,

I have really dry feet and heels used lots of cream including O keeffes for healthy feet dosnt seem to be working very well.
Dose anyone know of one that does work for cracked heels ect i have used a file that dosnt help either.

Sparklebright62.
Good that you are looking after your feet. What I do is give my feet a good soak in warm water, use a pumice stone on the dry skin, then vaseline, or Doublebase cream, (Doublebase from pharmacy on prescription) , then use Flexitol, on heels if the skin there is showing signs of cracking.
After moisturising I sit with feet up. Covered with a warm towel, for about 30 mins.
If possible see a podiatrist in case the dry skin is a fungal infection, like athletes foot. There will be cream and powder to use for that.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I echo flexitol too. It’s on my prescription if that’s the most economic way for you.

You can get little rubber/silicon heel covers (like ankle socks with most of the foot cut off). These are great to wear after pumice/Emery board/cream in bed overnight. It really traps the moisture in and speeds the heeling process up. I’ve suffered very nasty cracked heels most of my adult life (earliest sign of insulin resistance probably). The biggest thing is consistency with moisturiser. I’m rubbish and only remember when they hurt/are a mess then stop until the next time. I never learn. :banghead:

Last edited:

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Boots (if UK) deep moisturising foot cream with mint, lavender and marshmallow does the trick for me. And it smells nice.

D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to all

I have uses flexitol before it hasnt helped i dont know why not.
I have just tried vasaline i am always on my feet.

Sparklebright62.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely love Body Shops peppermint foot cream, I’ve used lots of others in my time including flexitol and other hard skin creams and this is my favourite, it keeps my feet lovely and soft and it’s nice and cooling, it even cleared up a bit of Psoriasis I had on my foot that had been there for years, I also use it on my elbows as I have psoriasis there and it keeps it soft and stops the flakes, I also noticed today that my patches are getting smaller

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Creams with urea in are best for cracked heels.
I don't have cracked heels but get hydromol on prescription for other things and if my feet are dry and rough I add some hydromol to some warm water and soak my feet in that, then slather some more on before bed.
The last time I saw a podiatrist she used a scalpel and cut the dry, hard skin off, I quite enjoyed that! Don't try it yourself though, obviously.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use udder cream... no seriously, I do. On both hands and feet. The proper sort you get from agricultural or equestrian places. It often has cetrimide in it, which I always feel might be helpful if the skin is cracked. And it’s really moisturising, if slightly antiseptic smelling (but that soon fades) and you get a giant pot for a tenner.

I have two sorts on the go, one without cetrimide (Battle’s) for daytime use and one with (Equimins), for use overnight (when I don’t notice the antiseptic aroma).

You could also try Sudocrem nappy cream. It’s pretty good but I don’t like the intense lavender smell. I used to use it as an all-purpose healing cream on my old horse.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I absolutely love Body Shops peppermint foot cream, I’ve used lots of others in my time including flexitol and other hard skin creams and this is my favourite, it keeps my feet lovely and soft and it’s nice and cooling, it even cleared up a bit of Psoriasis I had on my foot that had been there for years, I also use it on my elbows as I have psoriasis there and it keeps it soft and stops the flakes, I also noticed today that my patches are getting smaller
I also love the body shop peppermint foot cream. Best one I've used.

Reactions: lovinglife

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last time I saw a podiatrist she used a scalpel and cut the dry, hard skin off, I quite enjoyed that! Don't try it yourself though, obviously.
Err I’ve done this and other extreme management in extreme situations. .... I would recommend not to or to use extreme caution. I repeat I am my own worse enemy for not maintaining care between “events” in order to prevent the next one.

another thing podiatrists have done to me and I’ve repeated for myself is taping up badly cracked heels for a day or two at a time. Make sure you protect any delicate skin with non sticky gauze (think about being able to remove the tape without causing more damage to the newly softened skin) but holding the gaping edges together helps with healing as otherwise every step opens up healing wounds.

Am I grossing anyone out yet?

Reactions: sleepster

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I just use E45 cream, but wear a pair of cotton socks after I apply it before bed.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Can’t remember the name but I do remember it smells like pee cos it have urea in it , it’s awesome , cracked heal cream or something like that , but look in contents for the Urea, I know it sounds off putting but it works ,

Ps . An old wives remedy to cure athletes foot was to pee on your feet lol

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Alright until you start neighing I suppose. :)
Lol I know it’s off topic but my partner uses a shampoo called Mane and Tail , her hairdresser says it makes her hair really thick, only thing I’ve notice is the bag she uses on her face when she eats gets in the way of the knife and fork hehehe

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Please do take care of your feet - giving your legs a short massage before bed, or alternate hot and cold sprays in the shower can all help to boost circulation.
It was cutting dry skin off her feet which led to my grandmother getting infections which led to amputation and immobility which eventually led to her death.
If you have dry cracked skin then consult a professional, but prevention is a better option.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely get it checked out by a professional - if not just for help with management! And by professional, a proper podiatrist recommended or referred by your GP. Many years ago I had a "Foot Care Practitioner" who used to come to my house. I'd suffered from really bad dry, cracked skin on my feet for years. He used the razor method to remove the skin, and sliced into my foot, and then glued some fabric wadding to it. Not only once, but twice in the same session. I didn't have him back!
I was referred to a podiatrist, who looked at my feet and said "you have a fungal infection, here's a letter for the GP". I got a course of tablets, the skin shed off like a snake over the course of a few days, and eight years later it has never returned.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was cutting dry skin off her feet which led to my grandmother getting infections which led to amputation and immobility which eventually led to her death.
If you have dry cracked skin then consult a professional, but prevention is a better option.
:woot: Ok. I promise no more cutting it off myself. (Haven’t actually done it for a good few years and wasn’t diagnosed then)

100% right. Prevention is the right path.

Reactions: Pipp and KK123

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi to all,

Sparklebright62.

Had cracked heels and got some generic cream from the pound shop. Did the job!