What's the best way of introducing some carbs?

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been low carbing, cutting out all bread, pasta, potatoes and rice, biscuits, sugar etc and lost a lot of weight but I actually feel rubbish. My anxiety levels and low mood have been unbearable. Has anyone else felt like this, I really feel like an oatcake very day won't kill me ( I might prove myself wrong!!) just wondering if the trade off of starting taking metformin and being able to have some form of carb is an acceptable trade off. I'm still waiting to get my latest hba1c which might be good or bad but I've resigned myself to starting meds rather than feel **** every day. My quality of life is going downhill. Would appreciate any help.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You probably have carb/atkins flu. How long have you been low carbing, this phase will pass. Drink more water and have some more salt 0,5-1 tsp. While going low carb your body doesn't hold on to the same amount of water and the salt is washed out with the water.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. The Metformin whilst it will help a bit won't make a large difference to your blood sugar so the best thing is to try some of the low-GI carbs you like and see what the meter says. Don't go mad but nothing is banned in sensible quantity.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I strongly advise you to start small, spread the carbs out across all meals and snacks, and don't panic if your BG seems to spike with ridiculously small amounts of carbs. Give it 3-4 days because it'll take that time (at least) for your pancreas to stop 'over-reacting' to the carb intake.

Reactions: 2 people

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@zazoopits have a look at my thread where I have discussed this very topic with results of experimentation. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/moving-from-low-carb-to-higher-levels.58491/
Thanks very much Andrew, I appreciate your help. I tried an oatcake today! Tasted great, then went out to work in the sheep fank all afternoon. Weird thing is I felt really dizzy and lightheaded, I would have thought my bloods might be high, instead of low? Didn't test which I probably should have. The tips of my fingers are numb also, queer. Am going to continue to low carb but add in a wee bit every day. I know that my diet before diagnosis was poor and I'm not getting back to that way of eating again, but I do feel the odd chip or tattie won't hurt. Slow and steady like you I believe will be best for me too. We'll done on all you've achieved!

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I strongly advise you to start small, spread the carbs out across all meals and snacks, and don't panic if your BG seems to spike with ridiculously small amounts of carbs. Give it 3-4 days because it'll take that time (at least) for your pancreas to stop 'over-reacting' to the carb intake.
Thanks brunneria for your advice. I only tried an oatcake with butter and cheese at lunchtime, I think that's maybe enough for today! Will try a tattie tomorrow, keeping everything crossed!!

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. The Metformin whilst it will help a bit won't make a large difference to your blood sugar so the best thing is to try some of the low-GI carbs you like and see what the meter says. Don't go mad but nothing is banned in sensible quantity.
Thanks daibell, am going to experiment!

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You probably have carb/atkins flu. How long have you been low carbing, this phase will pass. Drink more water and have some more salt 0,5-1 tsp. While going low carb your body doesn't hold on to the same amount of water and the salt is washed out with the water.
Hiya modesty, nope, I've been on it since January and I'm afraid I feel rather weak on it, I do believe I need more carbs than I'm getting, don't feel well on this regime at all. Am trying to add in some healthy carbs and see how it goes. Onwards and upwards! ( or rather downwards!!!)

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
I eat very small portions of carbs, for example just one slice of bread ( wholemeal) from a 400g loaf toasted with butter, one small potato, or 4 chips with my large fish not every day, but my HbA1c is 43 last time, I take 50mg of Sitagliptin as day.. . As the others have said test and see how you get on. Good luck hope you feel better soon. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another one that eats small portions of major carbs - a couple of new or roasted spuds, half a dozen chips, and I also have a slice of Hovis with butter once or twice a day with meals. I've done this since I started. I sometimes used to get spikes in the high 7's but not always. I no longer get spikes with them, and yesterday even had a MINUS spike after a slice of Hovis with a tinned salmon salad and mayo. To be honest, I really think it's what you have with them that matters. Good luck.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bernie and bluetit! Am going to start that. Many thanks x

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya modesty, nope, I've been on it since January and I'm afraid I feel rather weak on it, I do believe I need more carbs than I'm getting, don't feel well on this regime at all. Am trying to add in some healthy carbs and see how it goes. Onwards and upwards! ( or rather downwards!!!)
Go healthy carbs like vegetables, even spuds and other root vegetables and also nuts & seeds, rather then bread, cakes and other grain products without any additional nutrition. Don't forget to eat enough healthy fats like butter, coconut oil and olive oil.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Go healthy carbs like vegetables, even spuds and other root vegetables and also nuts & seeds, rather then bread, cakes and other grain products without any additional nutrition. Don't forget to eat enough healthy fats like butter, coconut oil and olive oil.
Thanks modesty will try that.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask what you have been eating and roughly how much? I've cut the carbs, lost a bunch of weight, eating like a horse, coleslaw, any veg and a fair bit of meat and cheese and still losing weight.... and started adding some carbs back.... but been put off by the spikes... high 8's and low 9's after 1 hour and high 6's and low 7's after 2 hours.... all from half a slice of sourdough or 50 g brown rice....
wishing you well.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Can I ask what you have been eating and roughly how much? I've cut the carbs, lost a bunch of weight, eating like a horse, coleslaw, any veg and a fair bit of meat and cheese and still losing weight.... and started adding some carbs back.... but been put off by the spikes... high 8's and low 9's after 1 hour and high 6's and low 7's after 2 hours.... all from half a slice of sourdough or 50 g brown rice....
wishing you well.

I found I spiked initially, but after eating carbs for a while, the spikes became lower, as did my fasting BS, and my tolerance to carbs improved generally.

Reactions: 3 people

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
wishing you well.
Hiya hank jam, for breakfast I'd have either two fried eggs I coconut oil or a couple spoons of Greek yogurt with cinnamon, flaxseed and a few berries, for lunch it's salad with boiled eggs, cheese etc olive oil and balsamic or homemade soup etc or if I'm out maybe a fry up, no beans or toast or haggis (sob)! Then for dinner whatever I've decided on with no bread, tatties, pasta or rice, I use cauliflower rice etc. we'll known members have advised to start adding back in carbs slowly and never mind the spikes, it takes your body a wee while to adjust. Hope this helps. X

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hiya hank jam, for breakfast I'd have either two fried eggs I coconut oil or a couple spoons of Greek yogurt with cinnamon, flaxseed and a few berries, for lunch it's salad with boiled eggs, cheese etc olive oil and balsamic or homemade soup etc or if I'm out maybe a fry up, no beans or toast or haggis (sob)! Then for dinner whatever I've decided on with no bread, tatties, pasta or rice, I use cauliflower rice etc. we'll known members have advised to start adding back in carbs slowly and never mind the spikes, it takes your body a wee while to adjust. Hope this helps. X

'Never mind' more depends on what you mean by spikes, and what you would expect to be a good level.
If I push my own personal ceiling a few times, I find I can eat more next time, and build on that.
I would never advise eating too much, (even if I do it myself)
Testing as you build up is vital.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
'Never mind' more depends on what you mean by spikes, and what you would expect to be a good level.
If I push my own personal ceiling a few times, I find I can eat more next time, and build on that.
I would never advise eating too much, (even if I do it myself)
Testing as you build up is vital.
Yes Douglas, I was replying to hank jam,s levels really, didn't mean to go sky high!