What's the lowest hypo value you're ever had?

Ewen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm curious what any of your lowest values were, where you managed to bring it back up and remain conscious.

I've woken up in the hospital a couple times in my life so had no idea what my value was for those times, but typically have managed to fix it myself, or have someone at hand to help me drink some OJ.

My personal lowest was 1.1 that I can remember.

My lowest has been 3.4 I would not allow it to go below that as damaging to health. Your body tells you when such is coming on and one should be able to respond accordingly. I also carry glucose tablets where ever I go for such a time.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also carry glucose tablets where ever I go for such a time.
I've consumed more Lifesavers than any man alive. They named 'em right! Take up a lot less room that Glucotabs. 10 calories per candy, 120/roll. My step mom used to give me these "books" of them in my Christmas stocking. The butterscotch ones rock, but over time they can get stuck together.

Reactions: Hoping4Cure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I'm sure some "follow the rules" more than others as with anything else. I don't test before I drive but I test 4 times/d and eat 2-3 meals/d and have some snack material at hand at all times. I've only had 4 serious low episodes behind the wheel in 34 years, and none in years now.

I think we've had this discussion before re testing and driving, but I think it's morally wrong to risk other people's lives by driving without testing. It takes seconds. Why would anyone not do it?

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always test before turning the ignition too, it helps avoid hypers as well, which I've found can make me an angry, aggressive driver, and I've found myself speeding for no reason (being hyper is a distraction, like overly loud music, kids banging around back there, etc). It's not safe either.

Mryannos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My lowest reading was 0.8. A lot of jelly beans and cordial to rectify. Have had some were I have been 1.8 and not aware of it till I took a reading. Other times can feel low at 3.9. Can't trust warning signs!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we've had this discussion before re testing and driving, but I think it's morally wrong to risk other people's lives by driving without testing. It takes seconds. Why would anyone not do it?
MORALLY wrong? So I had a 2.4 awhile ago. Routine afternoon test felt OK. And corrected with some goodies as usual. Feel great. I'm about to leave the facility. I see no reason to test when I've just eaten something and actually recently tested. To each his own. It's not like someone who takes insulin and doesn't test in the car is some degenerate or something. Jeez.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
MORALLY wrong? So I had a 2.4 awhile ago. Routine afternoon test felt OK. And corrected with some goodies as usual. Feel great. I'm about to leave the facility. I see no reason to test when I've just eaten something and actually recently tested. To each his own. It's not like someone who takes insulin and doesn't test in the car is some degenerate or something. Jeez.

Yes - morally wrong. If a person gets in a car without ensuring they're ok to drive, then they're potentially putting the lives of other road users in jeopardy.

If you tested, were low and corrected that low, and had waited sufficient time to make sure your blood sugar came up, then that would be complying with the rules if you were in the UK. I seem to remember that US states had their own individual rules. It would be interesting to compare your rules with the UK's.

Vwhite1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Loud noise, runner beans, liars
I remember once that when i went for my HBA1C test that when the results were given to me they told me that my blood sugar reading at the time was 0.8 but they believed it to be a typing error! Looking back on it I was still walking, at the time but a bit vague with an overwhelming desire to eat sweet things....this was when I was not so careful and conscientious in testing my blood sugars. Its a bit weird some times (Now) my sugars are reading about 4.2 and I know they are dropping, I can feel it, other times I've just checked as routine and been below 2 without realising, especially if i'm concentrating on something. There are so many factors that contribute, but I know, not going hypo very often definitely makes you more aware of them and you get symptoms earlier. As always advice should be, do your very best to avoid hypos

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Down to c. 3.0 and I know I am in trouble - but ALWAYS caused by missing out or seriously delaying
the centre meal of the day. For those never down this far (and this IS very low for me) - my symptoms
are a crazy hunger (of course) but irritability, difficulty concentrating and extreme thirst.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes - morally wrong. If a person gets in a car without ensuring they're ok to drive, then they're potentially putting the lives of other road users in jeopardy.

If you tested, were low and corrected that low, and had waited sufficient time to make sure your blood sugar came up, then that would be complying with the rules if you were in the UK. I seem to remember that US states had their own individual rules. It would be interesting to compare your rules with the UK's.
No states require testing before driving that I'm aware of. A lot of it is common sense and that comes with experience. I've only been low a few times driving, had no accidents, and those were early in my disease. Walking golf is when I'm vulnerable so I now keep a meter in my golf bag and always test in my car when I'm done putting my clubs away. And my secret bars help a lot on the golf course too they even it out without my having to drink Gatorade all the time.

Leanna1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been 1.4 before and got up and had some glucose. Ive had it 37 years and have had bad times. Im insulin sensitive and when i was pregnant my sugars was low constantly. My poor husband at this time was my superstar and he used gluco gel as i was terrible. Xx

Leanna1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No states require testing before driving that I'm aware of. A lot of it is common sense and that comes with experience. I've only been low a few times driving, had no accidents, and those were early in my disease. Walking golf is when I'm vulnerable so I now keep a meter in my golf bag and always test in my car when I'm done putting my clubs away. And my secret bars help a lot on the golf course too they even it out without my having to drink Gatorade all the time.
You do need to test before driving. Please lòok up on dvla and what you should be doing. If they think an accident is your fault they can look at your meter. If you have not tested then they can take away your licence. I had a hypo where my husband had to call an ambulance and because of this. If i have anouther my licence will be took away. I knew nothing until the hospital told me.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

Leanna1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You do need to test before driving. Please lòok up on dvla and what you should be doing. If they think an accident is your fault they can look at your meter. If you have not tested then they can take away your licence. I had a hypo where my husband had to call an ambulance and because of this. If i have anouther my licence will be took away. I knew nothing until the hospital told me.
Sorry this was at night not whilst driving.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So if you have another low requiring medical attention (you can't help yourself) you lose your driver's license. Even if you test before you drive? That's like saying if you're caught drunk "again" (at home not driving) you lose your license even if you've never had a DUI. I'm real glad I don't have to put up with that ****. Sounds pretty discriminatory to me.

Leanna1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know its crazy. But if you go really low and don't wake up means your losing hypo awareness supposedly. Even though i get warning sighns in the day.

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all! I've been diabetic now for the last 10 years (aged 18 and diagnosed at 7). The lowest reading I've ever had is 1.6 just after I got placed on a pump. I treated it with Lucozade and biscuits (whatever was in the cupboard at the time!). I can say that I have had many hypos across the years. Most of them happen in a short period of time, and then I won't have another hypo for weeks. Throughout my teenage years, and still now, my hormones mess with my blood sugars. I have periods of time that I like to call "yo-yo" periods, where my blood sugars rise and fall quickly. In these, I have more hypos than usual - my worst being 6 hypos in less than 96 hours. It isn't healthy, I know, and my body is starting to be worse for wear because of it. My immune system is starting to fail more often and can't fight off illnesses as quickly. However, don't let what I'm saying put you down. I still live a happy life, living to the fullest. I am in a strong relationship, have achieved well academically and in other respects too. My HbA1c is now 64 (8.0% in old money) and my diabetic team continually say to me how well I'm doing to never have been admitted back in hospital again since diagnosis.

I know I've gone on a tangent there but anyway :) keep going and there's nothing that can stop you. No hypos, no hypers, no episodes of DKA (I've had 4 and haven't needed hospitalisation), no injections, no amount of tests or pump usage. We're strong. Keep reminding yourself of that. Keep smiling :')

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So if you have another low requiring medical attention (you can't help yourself) you lose your driver's license. Even if you test before you drive? That's like saying if you're caught drunk "again" (at home not driving) you lose your license even if you've never had a DUI. I'm real glad I don't have to put up with that ****. Sounds pretty discriminatory to me.

You keep implying that there are zero restrictions or rules for people with diabetes in the U.S. but there are some:

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...s-licenses/drivers-license-laws-by-state.html

Ensuring that a person is safe to drive isn't discrimination. There are a number of medical conditions and medication that might be relevant to a person's ability to drive safely. Diabetes is just one of them.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You keep implying that there are zero restrictions or rules for people with diabetes in the U.S. but there are some:

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...s-licenses/drivers-license-laws-by-state.html

Ensuring that a person is safe to drive isn't discrimination. There are a number of medical conditions and medication that might be relevant to a person's ability to drive safely. Diabetes is just one of them.
I checked the link. All they refer to in my state are seizures, which I knew about. The question about hypoglycemia is answered like it's a neurological condition and you can have seizures. Weird. I just check no. I can drive just fine and don't ever drive low now. And I test at least 4 times a day too. We got some old geezmos driving around that look like they can't tell which end of the key to put in the ignition. There's always somebody driving into their hair salon. I mean right inside lol!

Reactions: Medusa41