When freestyle libre shows a fast down arrow what to you do?

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I sometimes use (self funded hence the sometimes) a freestyle libre.
Most of the time the arrows are across or diagonal up and down, but recently I’d had Insulin with my breakfast and set out on an early morning walk (doing the million steps challenge for diabetes uk) and could feel it dropping towards the end, scanned and a straight down arrow.
I ate a dextrose tablet from my pocket to tide me over until I was home.
What do you do when you see a straight down arrow for blood sugar level falling fast?
Eat? Wait? .... love the libre when you see the numbers you want! A little daunting and sometimes exasperating when you see things you don’t want to! Hehe but that’s diabetes I guess!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I am similar to In Response. It all depends on what the number actually is when it is showing a straight down arrow. If it is around 5 for example I don't do anything and so far, every time I have checked it 15 minutes later it always shows steady and no longer going down. It usually shows a down arrow when I am exercising so I know that 99% of the time it will hit the low 4s, then it tells me I'm going low then I check it with a finger prick and it shows.....6. I do love the Libre but it seems to require a little back up just to double check the numbers and to adjust for the fact that it is 15 minutes behind so by the time you may be rushing to eat something it could already have gone up!

Reactions: EllieM

sgm14

If I am walking and see a straight down arrow and my figures are below around 5.5 then I take some sugar. If my figures are above 5.5 then I don't do anything except check my figures every five minutes.

If I am not walking and I see a straight down arrow then I usually ignore it unless my figures are below 5.

Below 5 and a straight down - take some sugar
Below 5 and a diagonal down - take a snack (usually half a biscuit)
Below 5 and an across arrow (ie little movement), then I might take a snack depending on how long it will be until my next meal.
Below 4.5 - I usually take some sugar. but again it depends on when my next meal is.

Everybody is different, so what works for me may not work for you. It has been a while since I tested it, but when I did, my Libre figures were only about 5 minutes behind my finger prick readings.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah thanks everyone that’s really interesting to see. Plus seems like you all do very similar things in response to the arrow. I had a bit of sugar as I was still walking and knew the insulin on board would be going for a while longer yet.
I usually see a diagonal arrow and sort of ignore it. A straight down is the least favourite to see! Hmm well a straight up isn’t great either.
Good to know 5 seems to be the gauge number to go from after making some assessments re next meal, whether exercising etc. With time and a bit of practice I hope to get more confident with levels and how to react.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Good to know 5 seems to be the gauge number to go from after making some assessments re next meal, whether exercising etc. With time and a bit of practice I hope to get more confident with levels and how to react.

Just be aware that the libre isn't accurate for everyone, particularly at low levels. Ideally, I'd want a back up meter reading before treating, but then I had to stop using the libre because it became hopelessly inaccurate for me.

Reactions: Rose22

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just be aware that the libre isn't accurate for everyone, particularly at low levels. Ideally, I'd want a back up meter reading before treating, but then I had to stop using the libre because it became hopelessly inaccurate for me.
Ah that is a shame, I know what you mean, I self fund and use occasionally. The last one I wore was great it seemed very in line with my finger test results, but the one before I got so fed up with it being 2-3 out! Makes it pointless wearing, and I removed it a few days before it was finished.
I found it good to see my night time readings, as had no idea what my levels where up to, other than a before bed and waking level. I have found it be helpful for anxiety, but other times quite disheartening, when you see numbers and spikes all over the place it can just seem to have the opposite effect, or for me anyways. If I feel low, think the finger test is best.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbott are pretty good at replacing faulty and highly inaccurate sensors.
Next time you get a sensor out by this amount but still active, give them a call.
Ah will do thanks wasnt sure about that before. So far it’s showing a huge rise, first day kids went back to school after 1/2 year off, so I’m thinking more stressed than I thought! I do find if I’ve clipped it on something, car seat, door frame then it’s def more inaccurate, as it’s not quite fully in arm.