When should I test my blood glucose level?

pastbe4us

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Raw mustard. Sauerkraut.
Hello all.

I am newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. My question is a simple one: When should I test my blood glucose level?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @pastbe4us To find out which foods raise your bg you should test before eating, then two hours after eating. If the food has raised your bg by more than 2.0 mmol/L it is best avoided. After a while you will know which foods spike your bgs and won't need to test as often.

Reactions: MissMuffett

pastbe4us

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Raw mustard. Sauerkraut.
Hi Thanks for your answer. I have a Contour tester for BG. It gives me a number of say, 114. Where are you getting that number, what is 2,0 mmol/L?

I imagine I can get a read out like this if I adjust my tester?

Same question for HbA1c?

Thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Thanks for your answer. I have a Contour tester for BG. It gives me a number of say, 114. Where are you getting that number, what is 2,0 mmol/L?

Same question for HbA1c?

Thank you

mmol/ are the units we use in the UK and many other countries.
114 sounds like the units are mg/dl

2mmol/l is the same as 36mg/dl

pastbe4us

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Raw mustard. Sauerkraut.
I found a conversion table on line. naturally, America does everything differently. My wife who is European often laments America's miles and yards...plus the way we write the date-5/13/2019.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you can't be bothered to look up conversion on online table, you can multiply mmol/L figures by 18 to get the US mg/dl figure.
Or divide your mg/dl figure by 18 to get the mmol/L figure.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I find the US system with the larger range of numbers more discriminating and intuitive. It is easy to get complacent with the UK system where things 'feel' smaller... "i am 9.0 it is just 1 point above acceptable level of 8.0" whereas the US one does show more nuanced difference.... Anyway, I know it is only in my head and that is just me!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found a conversion table on line. naturally, America does everything differently. My wife who is European often laments America's miles and yards...plus the way we write the date-5/13/2019.

We are still miles and yards here in the UK but the way the Americans write the date addles my brain. :arghh:

Reactions: Shas3

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I find the US system with the larger range of numbers more discriminating and intuitive. It is easy to get complacent with the UK system where things 'feel' smaller... "i am 9.0 it is just 1 point above acceptable level of 8.0" whereas the US one does show more nuanced difference.... Anyway, I know it is only in my head and that is just me!!!
I thought bg had to be below 5.4 or 7.8 after eating

Reactions: Shas3

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I thought bg had to be below 5.4 or 7.8 after eating
This is the UK NICE guidelines for bg readings:

Screenshot 2018-07-30 at 10.58.43.png

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Same question for HbA1c?

Thank you
Hi. If you divide your number by 18 then you should get the mmol/L equivalent if You can’t change the setting on your monitor