When to inject

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Newly diagnosed in May but only started carb counting 2 days ago.

I've bought the carbs and cams book and app.

Lunchtime I'm going out for a carvery lunch and I've already got an idea how units I'll need using the above. My question is, i was taught to inject before eating. If for some reason I decide to have a dessert after injecting for the dinner - how does that work?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

DaveTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's best to inject before to reduce the highest level you'll hit. I generally inject after eating myself, as I have 2 kids and work in a job where I can get interrupted mid-meal and have to go back to it 30 mins+ later sometimes. Not great if I've had one mouthful and done my insulin already.

I've even heard of people doing split doses for meal, due to high protein/fat content slowing how quickly the carbs get through you.

So yeah if you decide to have a pudding just add the extra insulin in once you decide what you want, I always find eating out a bit hit and miss and isn't unusual to need a small correction shot later on as it's hard to find out what the carb contents of everything is.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you decide to have a dessert after eating your meal then just inject for the desert when you decide. Carb counting is just that, you inject for the carbs you eat, so if you suddenly decide to eat 60 more carbs, you suddenly have to inject a bolus to cover 60 extra grams.

Reactions: Sibyl

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @4mum_

Agree with the guys above..

Do keep a closer eye on the blood sugar levels with the split bolusing..

& "Bon Appétit!"

Reactions: 4mum_ and Dodo

j@mez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm also used to injecting after dinner bc i never really know how much i'm gonna eat and i'm always a little worried i drop my pan or plate haha -- splitting it up might be a good idea yes --

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always dose up 15 minutes before to keep the spikes down.....having eye issues means I have had to make sure this always happens....

if you decide to have dessert you can inject when you decide and then by the time it arrives your dose is underway.....

eating out is always a guessing game though......

Reactions: 4mum_

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For meals over a number of courses I usually split the dose. There's a really good paper on the subject of timing insulin cakes strike the spike worth googling.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4mum_

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in November and my DSN advised at Christmas to inject for my main meal before eating and then inject for my pudding just before that in case there were any hold ups etc so I didn't hypo in between, that and New year is the only times I've split though x

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It can be quite a tricky balancing act. You'll get an idea of how to assess the variables involved as time goes by.

For me, I'd probably be looking at it like this:

1. I've bolused for the main meal, hope I've got that right but after an hour or so for the main meal and I'm approaching the dessert, the insulin will not be too far away from peak action, so I'll likely be getting a few clues at to whether I got the bolus call right, or was too low or high (pretty easy to do this with cgm, less so with strips).

2. If it seems I got it right, then it's extra carbs, so needs extra insulin, but remember that the first bolus you took will still be working for about five hours in total, so if you take another one, you've got two shots working in you at the same time with different peaking times. That can sometimes be unpredictable. It's called insulin stacking. There's nothing wrong with it but just be aware that the last two hours of the first shot can sometimes produce quite a drop on its own and if that combines with peak action of the second shot, you're heading South. So, if I'm insulin stacking, it's not uncommon for me to say, ok, would normally do x for this dessert but will shave y off it because I know I've already got the last bolus in me, peaking.

3. If it turns out I over-bolused for the main meal, and I'm dropping more than I'd like (again, easy enough to see with cgm), then a bit of cake is just the thing, might still need a bolus but seriously raked back.

4. There's cake, and then there's cake. I've never really had a sweet tooth, so not having a dessert course isn't an issue for me, but eclairs and profiteroles are basically mostly air and are relatively low carb, so a modest squirt will take care of them without having to think about stacking too much.

5. Avoid all of the above and have the cheeseboard instead!

Carveries and buffets can seem like a nightmare to begin with, but you'll get the hang of it. Best of luck!

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all your help.

I used the carbs and cals app and used the Christmas dinner as my calculation for units! Cheese board sounds a brilliant idea. To cap all this new learning I'm going abroad on Saturday for 2 weeks!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app