When to test blood sugar

oracle999

Hi, I am testing 2 hours after the start of a meal. Sometimes my sugar level is much higher after 1 hour. Am I supposed to be catching the peak of the move after eating or waiting 2 hours?
Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Test before you eat and again 2 hours after the first bite.

If the rise is 2 or under, you are golden.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is a bit high. I assume you are a T2.

What are you eating in a typical day please?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am testing 2 hours after the start of a meal. Sometimes my sugar level is much higher after 1 hour. Am I supposed to be catching the peak of the move after eating or waiting 2 hours?
Thanks
When you test before a meal and 2 hours after, you miss the peak, but you can see whether your body is responding adequately to what you've put in it. It's basically a way to find out whether a meal was okay for you, and if you are seeing rises of 2.0 mmol/l or less in that time, it'll also mean you're getting, or already have, your blood sugars under control. You're not supposed to go over 8,5 mmol/l, but sometimes, people just do, including non-diabetics.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Porridge is a funny one. Some people tolerate it others don't.

Test before you eat and 2 hours after the first bite.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am told by my doctor that I am pre diabetic. I was seeing if I can get away with my favourite breakfast which is porridge
Porridge.... Might be better to make that a once-in-a-while rather than a daily thing...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was seeing if I can get away with my favourite breakfast which is porridge
Even if you “get away with” porridge it is quite possible it is taking its toll on insulin levels which we can’t measure ourselves. Carbs raise blood glucose levels which need insulin to be brought back down. Some are worse than others and it’s not the same for everyone.

Prediabetes, metabolic syndrome and type 2 all are characterised by chronically high insulin levels desperately trying to maintain normal blood sugar levels. These high insulin levels do their own damage and contribute to insulin resistance making the whole problem ever increasingly worse. Until eventually the underlying problem of insulin resistance is bad enough that even the incredibly high levels of insulin just don’t do the job either and blood levels rise enough to be detected and ultimately become type 2.

It’s your choice whether to push what you can get away with or not. We all make choices that are less than ideal sometimes. But knowing that we are doing so is important. I try not to do things likely raise insulin levels in order to allow my very stubborn insulin resistance to heal. I’m human though and don’t always manage it but I wouldn’t do it daily, especially when there are simple alternatives that I like just as much.

oracle999

Ok thanks. I just bought 'The ultimate keto cerial' from Keto Fire. Just delivered by Amazon. I was expecting a big box as it was 1kg but I was amazed how small it is for £20. Looks like a total rip off. I'll give an opinion after tomorrows breakfast

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditchthecarbs.com has a delicious grain free granola recipe. I don’t add the chocolate and to be honest use whatever nuts and seeds etc I have but with some full fat natural yoghurt it’s simple to make and stores long enough to run out (a few weeks).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto cereal? Well - gullibility is my middle name, but even I find that rather hard to believe is possible.

oracle999

It's mostly nuts, desiccated coconut and seeds. Tastes pretty good and my blood sugar after 1 hour was 5.6. Looking at the ingredients I cold make it myself. I guess nuts are expensive

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's mostly nuts, desiccated coconut and seeds. Tastes pretty good and my blood sugar after 1 hour was 5.6. Looking at the ingredients I cold make it myself. I guess nuts are expensive
Online and in bulk seems to work best for me.