When you were first diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes

Kimble73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How did you feel- scared, overwhelmed with all the information and scared about the complications?
Did you get the support you needed?
Did you grieve your old life before you were diagnosed?
Do you miss and grieve the foods you ate before your diabetes diagnoses?
Does your doctor understand your frustration and how difficult diabetes is to live with everyday, does your doctor empathize with you?
Does your doctor ask how your coping living with this disease?
It’s been a few years now since your diagnosis how do you feel emotionally now?
Do you find it difficult to order off a menu when you go out for a meal?
Does your friends who don’t have diabetes, understand your new life and get it?
Have you gone through a loss of a loved one? And if yes how did you cope with the grief and your diabetes at the same time, did you eat comfort foods that were not suppose to?
Do you get cravings for sweets and carbs?
Do you feel heard when you are down and had enough of living with diabetes?
You do know that diabetes is not your fault of any kind of diabetes?
Do you get anxious around your diabetes?
Do you get depressed around your life with diabetes?
Do you wish you didn’t have diabetes?
I ask these questions to see if any of you have had these thoughts or feelings, with diabetes, I think it’s good to know so that you don’t think your alone. I know I have had all of them. If all who want to answer these questions would probably help us all in are feelings and emotions around diabetes. It’s up to you, you definitely don’t have to answer them. When I was diagnosed there were a lot of tears and fear, I have the anxiety it even a bit more since my mom passed away, I felt more secure when she was here around my diabetes, there’s nothing better than a moms love and caring.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry you have to miss your mom through this.

Anyway, ah... That's a lot of questions.... But here goes!

How did you feel- scared, overwhelmed with all the information and scared about the complications?
I got very little information, and I was also told I was likely to have cancer of the liver, so diabetes took a backburner because I thought I only had a few weeks left to get my affairs in order anyway. Once that turned out to be a false alarm, fear on the D front kicked in some more. I didn't know what to eat, everything seemed like poison, and I thought I was a step away from dead as it was. (Which isn't far from the truth, because I was quite badly off anyway... In bed all day or in a coffin all day, didn't seem like much of a difference at that point.). So yeah. Scared, overwhelmed, depressed... I cried a lot, because I felt horrible for Kornelis. I'd buried a partner when I was 18, I didn't want him to have to go through the same kind of grief. It took me a while to get some proper information on how to deal with diabetes, and quite a lot was contradictory, so my meter guided my way.

Not from the hospital, the dieticians nor the nurse. One other nurse was very nice and told me about dawn phenomenon and that I was already at 42 at my second HbA1c, so that I should keep doing what I was doing, but I only saw her once.

My old life didn't look very rosy. Like I said, was in bed all the time, too weak to do anything but breathe. I did mourn the life I had a decade or so before things went seriously south, like, high teas can reduce me to tears (had one for our wedding and that'll never happen again). But that's about it. I'm more energetic and active now than I think I've ever been. Once I identified the problem, I could fix it. Maybe not all of it, but a lot of it.

High tea's. And not so much because of the taste, but because they're so pretty and decadent and remind me of the best day of my life. I don't miss other things enough to be willing to sacrifice my blood sugars for them though.

Does your doctor understand your frustration and how difficult diabetes is to live with everyday, does your doctor empathize with you?
I have a really nice GP who is very understanding about just about anything, and admitted she doesn't know jack-**** about T2. But she can listen, and she can order me tests. And she does understand that I have anxiety, so she's keeping it as simple as possible. I don't have to see multiple people anymore, which reduces stress levels, and we're pretty much on top of this together. She just let me take the wheel on this one. I don't have a problem living with T2, honestly. The diet was fine. It's the extreme one I'm on now to tackle my kidney stones as well that's being harder to live with, really. But still doable.

I can tell her if I want to. But I don't feel like I'm coping with a disease... I'm controlling it. Which is quite empowering.

Far as diabetes go, no problem. Other issues, can't say the same about those. But to limit things to the D, I have my diaversary coming up on the 26th of July. I didn't understand why people'd want to celebrate something like a day of diagnosis, but I get it now and I usually celebrate it with a nice steak or something sumptuous. If I hadn't known what the problem was, things would've turned out very different. My life wasn't worth living at that point. Now, even with all my issues, I'm doing okay. That wouldn't've happened if I hadn't known what was wrong. That was the day the floor opened up beneath me and I fell into one hell of a hole... Only to find out that was the day my life got to change for the better. So yay, diaversary-dinner!

Sometimes. But I check restaurants before I go anywhere online if I don't know them well already, so I know whether I can eat there, and if need be I'll contact the kitchen to see whether there's something we can work out. I often go to cat cafe's and more than half of those are vegan here in the Netherlands, which really complicates things for me as a carnivore, but then... I'm fine with fasting throughout the visit and just have water or mint tea, and I compensate for their loss of income with purchases in their often available gift shops. Plus, I photograph their cats and they sometimes use those pics for promo purposes. But most kitchens that aren't vegan like that, will help me sort something out. (Maybe the vegan kitchens would too if I asked, but I'm not going to ask them to handle animal based foods out of respect for their principles.)

It took some explaining, but the numbers don't lie. And they saw me lose a quarter of a person in weight, and I was more active, and I felt better, none of which they could ignore. So that worked. Besides, when I go out now with my mum-in-law, she gets all the cookies that come with the drinks. My husband? He takes my fries. Everybody wins. ;)

Have you gone through a loss of a loved one? And if yes how did you cope with the grief and your diabetes at the same time, did you eat comfort foods that were not suppose to?
I haven't lost anyone in a while, thank heavens. At one point there was a funeral once a month, a decade or two ago. So I've lost enough to know that grief entirely kills my appetite. When I lose someone, I stop eating. I doubt that's changed. I did smoke up a storm around funerals though, so hopefully I won't grab cigarettes again if something does happen. Doesn't go well with asthma.

Not really. That went away after my body got used to low carb eating. I miss the *idea* of certain things, but whenever I tried a small bit for flavour, I usually went "EEEEW!". My palette changed, I can't stand what other people consider moderately sweet now. It's sickeningly sweet to me.

Hasn't happened since floundering when I was first diagnosed. But yeah, my husband listened very well. Other people gave it a go, but didn't know what to do with it.

Yeah. Genetics at play here. My gran's T2 and the PCOS got to me. (Do you remember the movie Twins? DeVito was considered junk DNA. That's how I feel. Every single condition that runs on both sides of the family, I got stuck with. I'm a genetic misfit!)

Not anymore. I've got this. And have for 4,5 years. I am a little worried about old age and not having much of a say anymore in what and how I eat though, but at 42, I can still hope people'll wake up about low carb before I'm in an old folks home.

Nope. I was for a while, but then I figured it out and it became a bit of a non-issue.

Well... It's not like I'd ever go "Yeah, I'll take that condition, seems like fun!" Of course I'd rather not have had it. Of course I'd like to eat the same things my husband eats. Not have to be difficult at Christmas family gatherings and whatnot. It took me just about forever to find a tatooist who'd take me on. It didn't make life easier. But consciously thinking "I wish I didn't have this", hasn't really come up since those first months.

Hope that helped!
Jo

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt absolutely devastated. I was 32 years old and it came as shock, even though my diet before was terrible. I had been slim majority of my life, but had become overweight in the last 5 years. No family history of it. I went into a state of depression for months, constantly googling about all the complications. I'm surprised I managed to keep my job.

However, it did get easier. And that was by taking control of my own health. Finding out what works for me. I reduced my carb intake to around 100g most days. I didn't give up carbs completely as this wasn't realistic for me long term. I lost weight and feel better than I have it years and my blood sugars are in the normal range.

I wish this hadn't have happened. But I dont think I would have made the changes otherwise and if it wasn't diabetes then something else would get to me eventually as I couldn't have continued that lifestyle. I'm determined not to slip into old ways, I still have the odd treat but they are occasional treats not every day.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I was diagnosed type 1 46 years ago when I was 16 and what frightened the life out of me was all the complications I was sure to get according to the books at the time and one Dr telling me I probably wouldn't see 40 , Well here I am at 62 without suffering 1 complication , I've been taken to hospital three times after suffering hypos but I don't consider that too bad really and when you consider how much better you can control it nowadays newly diagnosed shouldn't really worry .

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It came as a surprise, which with hindsight probably shows how little I was informed as to why I was having all the tests. No one ever said "if you go on like this you'll end up as a diabetic"....
I knew next to nothing about T2, vague understanding of T1, played hockey with a lad who was T1 and took it in his stride.
I was lucky. Went home, googled, found this site quite quickly. Next day I threw out all my bread flours (I baked), pasta, rice, everything, gave my beer collection to my boss, so he and the company knew my diagnosis. Family was a bit miffed but as I am the cook in the house we just adjusted. My response to v low carb was rapid, lost 25 kg in 3 months and flatlined more or less since.

From family and work collegues, for sure never a problem. D nurse was won over, GP's needed to be educated.

Not at all. If I had gone on without change it would have messed me up completely. Count myself fortunate to have the chance to change.

Rice probably but...... it was probably my downfall.... very serious rice eater.

I was classified as in remission pretty quickly and all I ever discuss with my GP's are my very high cholesterol levels and if I should try another statin..... Answer: No.

See above, never has.

I very rarely think about it.

I know I am going to discount nearly everything and I am happy to stick with the meat and what ever veg there is... and save myself for the cheese course.

Yes, been fortunate there, they accepted it once I told them what was going on.

Not a loss as such. I was Dx prostrate cancer at the same time as being made redundant, had it taken out two years ago. Weight has gone up 5 kg and now flattened out. My wife has had a recurrence of her breast cancer in the last 4 months and had the surgery 2 weeks ago. Things not looking too bright. My FBG have been up about 0.8, 5.2 to 6.0, am not too surprised.

No. I do bake a Burnet Basque, which is a cheesecake without a base, baked at high temperature to burn to topping. I put a small of sugar in with the loads of fat from cream cheese, double cream and eggs....

Not been there..... yet.

I do wonder if it was a three different types of statins my GP's put me on that screwed up my biochem.... but I'll never know.

Not at the moment, it is under "control".

No, not at the moment.

Not really. It is what it is and needs to be understood and managed.

When I was diagnosed there were a lot of tears and fear, I have the anxiety it even a bit more since my mom passed away, I felt more secure when she was here around my diabetes, there’s nothing better than a moms love and caring.
Losing your mum must make it very hard for you so that you have to cope by yourself. I think this forum is a really supportive place and it is here to be used and shared.
I wish you well.

(Mod edit for clarity)

Last edited by a moderator:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Q 1
Did you feel- scared, overwhelmed with all the information and scared about the complications?

Yes.

Even though I found lots of advice on here, the physical impacts of DX and maybe changing my diet created for me quite a lot of turmoil.

Tiredness, and what I believe was a change in my thought process..., coincidental ?, maybe
But I felt less "sharp" mentally.
Have since recovered to a large degree

Q 2.

At first, no.
Then I found this forum, then support grew quickly..

Wife was very supportive once she saw, I was serious & the results where more obvious
Weight Loss, drop in fbg/HBA1c

Q3.

No..and not really
Was a big potatoes fan.
Chips, boiled, mashed
Those I miss.
Bread however, is mourned, and that fresh baked smell, does get me still, but I can resist.

Q 4.
Does your doctor understand your frustration and how difficult diabetes is to live with everyday.
does your doctor empathize with you?

Rarely see the same one
Rare they ask, so I don't waste time talking about it.
No..they're not really interested.

Sure everyone at my surgery with T2D, got back to normal numbers within months...:)rolleyes:)

Q 5.

I am Well adjusted to it

Q y.

Rarely happens, but if I'm particular , no.

Q 7
Do your friends who don’t have diabetes, understand your new life and get it?

No.
Did speak to others after DX, about my success,
But that glazed eyes, look taught me not to bother

Have you gone through a loss of a loved one?
No

And if yes how did you cope with the grief and your diabetes at the same time, did you eat comfort foods that were not suppose to?
N/A

Q 8 .

Rarely, easily passes

Q 9.

Doesn't happen
T2D impinges in my diet, not my life outside that.

Q 10.

Yes & no.
While we all could be at risk, I have to take responsibility that I could have looked after the younger me, better

Q 11.

No .however since DX, I do GET anxiety.
Which I think is different to your question

Q 12.

No

Q 13.

Mmh..didn't get others saying at first, but it was a wake up call, and I pay much closer attention to my health then previously..
So perhaps, no ..it has been a "useful" experience.
Hi

Sorry about your mum,
The loss of such support, and the natural grieving is hard to process and manage at any time. Let alone when coming to terms with a major illness.

I hope I don't seem rude, but I must admit, I almost ignored this post several times,
as it was such a wall of text..

BUT something about it dragged me back

You are right, we should share such experiences, if only to show we are not alone thinking such a way.

I took the liberty of numbering most questions, and grouping some under one question.

My answers are above, inside the quoted reply

I hope it helps you or others in some small way
And yes, I agree ..it's good to share experiences.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JoKalsbeek . Such a tale, with so much in it, deserving of a hug.

But I gave you a winner, for the way you have dealt with it

I also agree with most of your answers, too

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @hankjam .

Sorry to read life is so hard
Best wishes to wife , not an easy time

Liked your "Chance To change"
Very much feel the same way, myself..

And the disinterest by doctors :rolleyes:

All the best

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi @Kimble73

A lot of questions but I'm happy to answer at least some.
All of the above. It was finding this site that helped. I felt complete despair. If you see some of my early posts I threw myself a massive pity party.

From my husband yes. From this site yes. From my doctor- frankly no.

At first yes all the time. I cried every day for at least two weeks. I was a disaster. Now- occasionally I do- I won't lie. My taste buds haven't changed (I suspect I will need to give up artificial sweeteners to have that happen and am planning to do so).

Sometimes yes but generally no. I actually have a 'treat jar' at work full of lollies and chocolates- never tempted at all and doesn't worry me. I use it as a team building tool.

No

No

Emotionally as I've said fine or even better. I have completely moved on. There are the very odd occasions where I feel a bit sad but usually it's caused by other factors- recently a sinus infection, lack of sleep and sore elbow. Antibiotics now working and I'm back to no issues.

Yes I do. I've seen people post here though and people are great and have ideas. I target restaurants which I know I can eat (and drink) steak tartare anyone? Lobster?

some do others not so much

Not really. I use artificial sweeteners though.

sometimes- that's why I get involved here. The people here are a real positive to having diabetes.

Not sure how to answer this- without it I wouldn't be on this site. I'm pretty evangelical about this site as there are some truely amazing people here. I am very glad that I have 'met' these people. They are intelligent, kind generous.... I could go on but you get the idea. I have lost weight without counting carbs. I no longer have severe asthma thanks to keto- so overall I'm in a much better position than. I would have been otherwise.

Reactions: hankjam