Where do I best fit?

doc7576

Hi, I’m looking for some help trying to understand where I fit in the “world of diabetes”.

Had the usual symptoms, constantly tired, excessive thirst and urination, constant hunger yet lost 3 stone. I started to feel worse with my breathing becoming laboured and got worse over the next week and lost my appetite. Finally went to see the doctor, (also a rather large perianal abscess appeared the same morning). I was sent straight to Hospital as I was in DKA! I left the hospital 8 days later with a diagnosis of type 1 and on mixed insulin injections.

The consultant at my first appointment was useless, he put me on metformin as I was overweight and that was it, so asked my GP. He explained that I didn’t seem to fit the exact criteria for either of the types so needed to test and see what happened, but he was leaning more towards type 2, until he read the results from the hospital.

My HbA1c was 14.1 with fasting bloods of high teens on admittance to hospital. GAD test was negative but said that didn’t mean I wasn’t type 1. I had perfect blood pressure and cholesterol and the dr said he thought these would of been higher if type 2 and my c-peptide test was on the low side of average which again he said he would have expected the readings to be much higher if I was type 2, especially with my readings from the hospital. However due to being overweight he said they can’t rule out type 2.

HbA1c down to 7.6 in June on low dose mixed insulin and reducing carbs so they stopped my insulin and put me on Victoza along with the metformin. Next HbA1c was down to 7.1(which surprised me as my readings had increased slightly) so they stopped my test strips and arranged to go back at Christmas. I started getting some of the old symptoms again which started to get worse. I got out my spare meter and every reading including my fasting was never lower than 12 with most in the mid teens and several in the 20’s. My HbA1c at Christmas was up to 8.6. He started me on Glimepiride then doubled it up at the beginning of January but my readings never moved.

I started low carbing (under 20g most days) as I was sick of feeling ill. HbA1c in February was actually slightly higher at 8.7 so they increased my dose again.

My concern now is that it is taking 2000mg of metformin, 1.2mg of Victoza, 3mg of Glimepiride and a low low carb diet to get my readings in the high 5 to high 6 range with fasting levels high 6’s.

I am over weight and have been since I was younger due to an illness and subsequent medication. I’ve just started wondering now if that illness may be connected to my current issues. When I was 11/12 I was diagnosed with Growth Hormone Deficiency or Hypopituitarism (at one point my skeletal age was nearly 2 years behind my biological age) and spent the next few years in and out of hospital and being treated with growth hormone and steroids whilst going through puberty (hence weight gain). Neither I nor my family can remember if they actually gave a reasoning as to why I wasn’t producing enough, but after reading about it it seems it can be caused by auto immune issues which is why I wondered if there could be a link. I have lost 2 stone so far but I haven't noticed any change to my levels.

I would be grateful for any thoughts anyone may have, either regarding possible type or the connection to old illness (which I fully understand will just be opinions). Also is there anything I should be asking or requesting from the doctors. For example would it be useful to ask for another c-peptide test to see if anything has changed over the year?

Apologies for the length of the post, I wanted to get as much info down as possible, cheers.
P.S. If this is in the wrong section again my apologies.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So are you still on mixed insulin? Are you testing your blood pre meal and after?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You are effectively newly diagnosed and until the HCP's can stabilise you, you are entitled to prescribed blood strips..

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. If I were you I'd ask for a referral to a different consultant. It's not clear what type of db you have, so they should keep testing till you get a definite answer. You need a consultant who understands the possible effect of your earlier illness and the HGH you received and who also understands the various types of db including the rarer monogenic ones such as MODY and MIDD - perhaps more of an endocrinologist than a straightforward diabetician. It is one of the improvements in the NHS that you can ask for a referral to a different consultant or hospital.

The NHS (and specifically your GP's surgery) is currently paying for a high level of medication that you may not even need. Perhaps this thought, tactfully phrased, may help persuade your GP to make the referral.

Kate

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You seem to have had some good support and some a bit more typical of diabetes GPs. At least they did a GAD and c-peptide. My guess might be the possibility of double diabetes? This is where you have insulin resistance due to being overweight and there is separate failing of the islet cells. Your other health problems may also be relevant and ,yes, there is MODY and a few other rare diabetes types. If you can gradually get your weight down thru low-carbing it will make it easier to resolve any remaining high blood sugar. I suspect once your weight is in the normal range you may still need some pancreas prodding tablets or back to low-dose insulin

Reactions: 4 people

doc7576

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

I am seeing the nurse on Tuesday for my latest results so I will raise the question about a referral to a different consultant. My GP surgery has been good and they even encouraged going low carb. The only problem is the changing diagnosis, so in the last year I have been labelled as both type 1 and type 2 for a period and I'm not sure if they have thought about other types as mentioned above or even possibly LADA?

Hopefully if I can get to see an endocrinologist I can get some answers and find out if there is any connection to old illness, as it does seem a bit of a coincidence to have two separate issues relating to hormone/hormone production. Just wish I had thought to ask the doctor about it sooner.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as i am concerned half of these Drs don't know their **** from their elbow. They have no idea what they are talking about and just waffle on. I bet my GP does not even know if I am type 1 or type 2. They just tell people anything.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well I got phoned by a recptionist from my GP practice today. The receptionist told me " not to do my injection tonight"....
I said "sorry, I'm not on injections...I don't know why you are phoning me"..
Her reply.. " are you telling me you dont have diabetic medicines?"
I said " no I am on an insulin pump, so don't have injections"
After arguing with her she finally agreed to get the gp to phone me....

The gp had given the receptionist the instructions to tell her to phone me.. The gp did not check what medication I was on... Or understand the badics of a diabetic type 1 of 30 years cannot just .. Not take an injection"- if I was on injections I would have been taking lantus and novorapid... So how would I have know which injection not to take?
I do not know of any type 1 diabetic of 30 years that could just not take an injection...raise or reduce dosage yes.. But not stop... And she never even looked to see what regime of insulin I was taking....

I am livid at this advice... It was appalling...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thats what I thought... I think I have to complain...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm chairperson of the PPG, so don't like to complain, but on this occasion I think I have to.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You do - supposing that happened to a newly diagnosed T1.

Did the Dr give you a reason? Probably some crackpot cost-saving measure :eek:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just made a formal complaint....didn't like to, still don't like the fact I have complained as I like this gp who told receptionist to phone me... But like you I have thought of any T1 or anybody taking insulin to stop having 1 injection at night, without actually checking that I have injections (pump, and I don't) is dangerous. Personally, if my pump fails for any reason I can have levels up to 25 within 90 minutes....so they really should have reviewed my records fully before getting anybody to phone me. Should have been a GP anyway..

I have never complained before...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dr said a reading had come in too low.. And she actually asked me whether I had fasted... Surely she should have known whether their blood tests told me to fast or not??

doc7576

So, after my last post my HbA1c came back at 6/42 so nurse is happy, although this would suggest an mmol/L reading of 7 which (although is in the good range) seems high to me considering my low carb intake. I asked about seeing someone regarding my historic GH deficiency and possible connection to current situation but she said I would need to see the Dr to arrange something.

I hadn’t had chance to make an appointment when I got a call from the NHS reminder service for an appointment with the consultant, an appointment that I had no idea about. So I went this morning and thankfully it was a different consultant to last time. Explained about readings trebling and only controlled with a low carb diet. He didn’t offer any explanation as to why, just said that my current results are good. I asked about a new c-peptide test but was told that since my readings are low and not spiralling higher then it wasn't needed (despite the fact that my readings did spiral higher before low carbing). I pushed regarding a definitive diagnosis but instead he added a new theory to the mix and said I could be an “Atypical or ketosis-prone type 2” which shares characteristics of both 1 and 2. After looking it up it appears to have previously been classed as a form of MODY and has been called, idiopathic type 1 and also type 1.5 before the new name. Great, now I have something else I have never heard of to add to the mix!

On the plus side, I had a brief discussion regarding the Gh deficiency and they are going to request the old records and investigate things further, however my next appointment isn’t until November, so I will have to wait, again.