Where do I get fibre from to prevent digestive issues?

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, not long been diagnosed at new year (STILL) don't know what type I have.

Since I've changed my diet, I have found myself constipated virtually since the start, as we know what can happen when you force too much..
Anyway, yeah that's happened. I have a piece of wholegrain bread with breakfast in the morning but it only has 4g of fibre in it and I don't really want to have two slices because of the carbs.

What else can I eat to ease this? How much do I eat of it?

Starting to do my head in now tbh :(

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chia seeds are one of my favorite foods. Low fat, low carb, high fiber, what’s not to like? Put about 1/2 cup seeds in 2 cups milk (any kind, dairy or non, even cream if that’s your thing), add vanilla extract if you like it, stir well, then stir about 15 minutes later and refrigerate over night. 2-4 servings. I top it with berries, nuts, you name it.

also, I eat a lot of beans (although I know a lot don’t eat them). artichoke hearts and avocados are high in fiber, as are oats if you eat them. I like to buy frozen artichoke hearts and grill or roast them.

Edited to add: the back of my chia seed package says 1/4 cup (so 1/2 of the recipe above) has 20g carbs total, 16 of which are fiber.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot use a magnesium supplement as a temporary measure.

This way of eating make constipation and even diarrhoea common in the early weeks It’s often a big change for your digestion system to adapt to. The former partly because without carbs to “hold” water we don’t have enough. So make sure you are drinking more than you were before. This extra fluid and the lack of processed foods also mean we get fewer electrolytes which includes magnesium. Extra fats can help move things along too, sometimes too much!

Reactions: jjraak

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies, in regards to veg- this is one of the things which has changed most, I eat MORE now and alot more. Fluids I am drinking at least 3 litres a day, I do have chia seeds so I might give that ago, am I right in thinking the fibre offsets the amount of carbs?

Are there any supplements that are safe for diabetics to increase fibre intake? I have a first appointment with a dietician on Tuesday, will I get advice there?

Thanks again for your help

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, the US labels add in fibre, which simply transits the body, so didn't count as carbs, I believe.. So the chia seeds for example would be 4g , not 20g

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure if it counts as constipation but I became irregular after starting a low carb diet. After about 3 weeks I was back to my usual first thing every morning. I have about 75g of carbs a day including a lot of veg, I don't have any special fibre foods. Maybe it is just a question of time for your digestion to adjust to the change.

Reactions: MancboyChris

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I agree with the drink more water but I also et a fair bit of spinach leaves which seems to help me- very low carb. Also some more fat can help.

Good luck

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Inulin powder is a great way to get fibre in, you can mix it with coffee, yogurt, smoothies etc.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Veges and salad have fibre - you can eat a salad and add psyllium husk to some coleslaw for instance, to have even more, but if you are eating a more nutritious diet than before you might just have less to get rid of.
The saying garbage in garbage out applies to more than computers.
Eating bread isn't a good idea, really - if you are on insulin it isn't that important, but most type twos only eat the very low carb versions.