Where do people go out for breakfast?

Iona May

As a newly diagnosed Type 2, I have started following a low carb diet. I've got dinner sussed when eating out usually a steak and salad but breakfast is another story!

Other than Wetherspoons freedom breakfast which is 12.2 g of carbs does anyone have any suggestions, as everywhere else seems to have menus that are full of carbs or the lighter options are porridge or toast! I know I can cook at home but we like the Sunday morning breakfast ritual of eating out.

Lakeslover

I find a full English Is fine as long as I avoid toast. A local cafe does fried bread which is fine for me. Or try asking if you can have an extra egg instead of toast.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I find a full English Is fine as long as I avoid toast. A local cafe does fried bread which is fine for me. Or try asking if you can have an extra egg instead of toast.
Wow so fried bread is lower carb than plain bread?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just ask them to hold items such as toast, bread, potatoes hash browns, baked beans.
Plenty of options from eggs, sausages, bacon, omelette, mushrooms, tomatoes, ham, smoked salmon, fish

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast. Bacon and (real) eggs are fine. Sausages can often be cheap carb laden options rather than good high meat % so check them first (carbs vary from less than 1g per 100g to 15+g). Fish, meats and mushrooms also fine. Tomatoes and beans need testing, fine for some, problematic for others. Cheese is good.

avoid bread of any type, grains of any type and potatoes.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I do not have breakfast at home, and driving a fair distance from home I usually have breakfast at truck stops.

Get the lot there steak, sausages bacon,eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, chips, pies, hamburgers etc plenty to take your pick from on the menu.

Reasonable prices as well.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I do not have breakfast at home, and driving a fair distance from home I usually have breakfast at truck stops.

Get the lot there steak, sausages bacon,eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, chips, pies, hamburgers etc plenty to take your pick from on the menu.

Reasonable prices as well.
And what do the chips and pies, especially, do to your bgl levels?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And what do the chips and pies, especially, do to your bgl levels?
I stated what was on the breakfast menu, not what I get when ordering food ,I have no problems with my bgl after having a feed.

I forgot to mention toast with various spreads.

Lakeslover

As above, fried bread isn’t lower carb, but it’s absorbed more slowly so my body is able to produce insulin to deal with it and I don’t get a big peak. Of course you might be different so try……and test.

Reactions: coby

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stated what was on the breakfast menu, not what I get when ordering food ,I have no problems with my bgl after having a feed.

I forgot to mention toast with various spreads.
Sorry, you said “get the lot there”, I assumed that meant you get the lot, rather than were explaining the menu.

“What do you order” was the question originally, and mine was what happens if you “get the lot”? Neither of which you answered it seems.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As above, fried bread isn’t lower carb, but it’s absorbed more slowly so my body is able to produce insulin to deal with it and I don’t get a big peak. Of course you might be different so try……and test.
It's one thing that I really miss with a cooked breakfast!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
have you tried it and tested to see what effect it has?
No but I will certainly do that. I have some low carb bread coming tomorrow so it may be better to use this one?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast. Bacon and (real) eggs are fine. Sausages can often be cheap carb laden options rather than good high meat % so check them first (carbs vary from less than 1g per 100g to 15+g). Fish, meats and mushrooms also fine. Tomatoes and beans need testing, fine for some, problematic for others. Cheese is good.

avoid bread of any type, grains of any type and potatoes.
What sort of eggs are not real?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
“What do you order” was the question originally, and mine was what happens if you “get the lot”? Neither of which you answered it seems.

I can't find that there in the op's post header, which is what I answered with a list of foods available.

Where do people go out for breakfast?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I tend to only have breakfast out when I do IT work. Premier Inns I have found to be consistent with real eggs, mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes of acceptable quality, and good omlettes. Marriott Hotels are superb as you would expect; omelettes are phenomenal, can be cooked with butter, I take smoked salmon over to the chef to include. Excellent other low carb options (I know a bit snooty).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of eggs are not real?
You can get omelettes and such premixed (yep I was shocked too) in some places that have noticeable carbs in them. They also taste awful.