Where do you buy your testing strips from?

ian1968

I'm running low and need to stock up on testing strips. I got a prescription before but don't think I will this time. Where do you buy your strips from?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
50 Codefree strips from Amazon for £7 :)
50 Accu-check from Amazon £24 :x

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I buy mine when I see them cheap on Ebay. I'm an experienced Ebay user and check the ratings and individual feedback comments on the sellers before I buy. Make sure seller states the expiry dates.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Defren said:
I get 50 a month on prescription the rest I buy from e-bay or Amazon.

Snap!

ian1968

I got a prescription for them in the end, so it was only £7 or so.

The chemist said I should ask for a certificate so I can get them for free. Do you have that?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I'm not sure if you can get free prescriptions if you aren't on medication for your diabetes.

Not 100% sure though maybe someone else can clarify.

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
the_anticarb said:
I'm not sure if you can get free prescriptions if you aren't on medication for your diabetes.

Not 100% sure though maybe someone else can clarify.
At the very least you should be able to get them VAT free, i allways used to buy my strips from ebay but we are having our meters changed to the wavesense Jazz and havent seen strips for those on ebay as yet :(

Smiffy1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry if this is the wrong place to say it but until I discovered this forum I had no idea that T2 do not get test strips on prescription...it's absolutely ridiculous :twisted: Its like going back to the dark days when I was first diagnosed in 1996 and had to buy my own needles, my brother in law had a rant in the chemist once when I had to buy some and I had to drag him out :roll:

I must admit I have just changed meters and my GP did comment on the cost of a pot of strips but did change my prescription.

Anyhow just wanted to voice my support to you all in your fight to get what should be prescribed as its a vital part of your treatment and control

Fraddycat

Thanks for your support Smiffy, it does sometimes seem like a battle. Ian I just bought test strips from Boots online, I got 100 Accu Check strips for £22 as they have buy 2 get one free offer.

Sugarsmith

Dislikes
Done have any
I didnt know you could get them on prescription; well not around my way as already asked.

They are most definately VAT free as I took this matter up with Lloyds Pharmacy HO a while ago, when my local pharmacy knew nothing about them being VAT free, and this was their reply -
Quote - "Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this. I have passed your feedback to our Area Manager, Julian Snowling, who will be conducting further training with the pharmacy team to ensure they are aware of our company processes.

I have also spoken with the supervisor at the store, Claire, directly to rectify this situation. Having discussed the matter at length she is aware of your concerns and how to process the exemption for your purchase. Therefore, if you would kindly return to the store with your product and proof of purchase i.e. receipt or bank statement the branch will be able to process this exemption for you.

Once again Mrs Newiss, please accept my own and the company’s sincere apologies for this incident and any inconvenience and undue stress it may have caused. I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and for affording us the opportunity to rectify this matter for you. We pride ourselves on the very high level of customer service we provide at Lloydspharmacy and it is a matter of regret that on this occasion we have been unable to do so.

Yours sincerely

Clare Bacon
Customer Services Co-ordinator
" UNQUOTE

Anne

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
That's a great result.

Maybe you should change the names to protect the innocent. As a Paleo man, I'm very attracted to a woman whose surname is "Bacon"

prwilson

I must be very lucky, I'm Type 2 and I get my strips on prescription and the idea of limits or rationing has never been mentioned.

puzzymunkle

I finally got my GP to prescribe them after suffering hypos. Change of meds stopped that but I still get the strips. I use them anyway just now don't have to pay for them :D

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
I just got 50 accu strips from Boots for £14.50, they are in the clearence sale

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy mine from amazon when i need more

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GlucoRx-50-Test-Strips/dp/B004CJQCI4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1348738331&sr=8-4

this seller has a special offer on at the moment so be quick and the package i got was all long dated been using them for about 6 months now with no problems

If you ring the company up on 01483 755133 they will send you out a free meter too just tell them the one you have is broken :D

Meg2009Arm

I also am lucky in that I have never been refused them on prescription. Having said that I've recently gone onto Insulin and am trying out various regimes so if they did stop me I'd be pretty annoyed :x

My practice has also made me change meters to the Agamatrix Wavesense Jazz Meter & strips to save money.

carbo

After making a fuss I get mine on prescription but if you can't Ebay is a good place. I used to get them there with no trouble about £8.00 a box.