Where do you wear your insulin pump

raesj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been doing some research into how and where we pump users keep our pumps when they are attached. I have some very interesting updates on possible solutions and would be interested to hear from people who would welcome some alternative choices to what is currently available. (The clips/belts and all those bits...)

Please reply if you have any problems, etc with current products to use to carry your pump comfortably; I know that storage whilst whilst asleep is a big issue amongst many. Would be great to hear if people feel that more product solutions should be available.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
On my arm. Will never change to anywhere elelse ever. Got my own enablement of tubigrip on nhs prescription. It stays on there till set changes, or a bath or shower. At night no chance of aurbubbles as the pump always faces downward.

Could not be bothered with skirt or trouse waistband and fear of toilets or dropping... Dont wear a bra.

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've only had my pump for 5weeks and haven't gone anymore adventures than using the belly belt that came with it. Had no issues with it there.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jkm2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I used to wear mine on my belt, but I kept breaking the clips. Tried my arm but I don't like the cannula in my arm, found it painful. I have just bought a SPI belt. All I can say is its amazing. You don't know your wearing it. I bought the diabetic one with an additional hole for the tubing. It's must have, you can even wear it below your trouser line. They cost about £16

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My cannulas still go in my bum.. But I have 100cm tubing which gives me complete freedom and movement to wear the pump on arm.

Onky works with an accucheck combo pump though because they have the all singing all dancing remote control.. So unless its change of set/cannula.. Never take it off.. Plan baths n showers around changes so pure bliss for me....

Pbilli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just have my pump in my pocket and feed the line through my belt loops when I'm at work. At night I have the thigh strap and I don't even know I'm wearing it!!

tinyroman

I rarely wear skirts or frocks,much preferring the comfort and freedom of trousers. If they have deep pockets I shove the pump in there;if not I've had to invent all sorts of ways to keep the pump attached to my clothing. My latest is a mobile phone holder in the shape of a tiny anorak with a hood and a zip up the front - really cute! It attaches to my waistband with a key ring circle, one of those that you break your nails on trying to get a key onto it. The pump swings around a bit, though. I've also used a kilt pin, threading the spike through the black vinyl official case that came with the pump and fixing it to my waistband. Have hung it round my neck on a piece of string like a necklace, but that's not comfortable. Have shoved it down bra, but then my chest looks strange, to put it mildly. I wear a sleep bra at night with the pump in there and that's not too bad. I tried letting it roam free, but I toss and turn a lot, so the pump ended up in some uncomfortable places.

I'm interested in the tubular bandage method; it's my son's wedding in a few weeks and I've been wracking my brain as to how to wear the pump with a tight-fitting dress. Unless someone has another ingenious idea (?) I'll try that.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1380054536.415357.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1380054536.415357.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,492

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1380217355.423391.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1380217355.423391.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,764

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1380229437.407381.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1380229437.407381.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,580

sarah88

I wear mine horizontally across the cups in my bra, just underneath my chest bone slightly under my bust, if that makes sense?! thankfully my I'm 'blessed' with a big enough chest that it can't be seen and only pokes out occasionally or if I'm reaching up to pop something on a shelf. It's not the best place to keep it, but I haven't found anywhere else that doesn't feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

At night I have it in a pouch on an lanyard around my neck. I wear a vest top to bed and it keeps it close to me. It moves around a bit but not enough to bother me.

Has anyone tried the pouch that clips onto the side of your bra? Under your arm? I was considering getting/making one.

Sarah

tinyroman

I'm trying out the tubular bandage method today. The cannula is in top of my arm, but have got the pump round my wrist, as I either bought the wrong size bandage or my arm's too fat to be comfortable. Maybe if I bought a thigh-size one I could wear it on my leg to be able to wear a stretchy dress. Thanks for the pics, Donnellydog, mine looks just the same so I must be doing it right.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ref tubular bandage.

I wear two layers of tubular grip.... Ist layer is just pulled up on my arm as a comfy barrier to stop the pump pressing against my arm and to stop the pump sliding down my arm.

I still continue to have cannula in my bum. So, I have a 100xm tube.. (I am 5'6" tall). The pump is then trapped between the 2 layers of tubigrip. I have a medium tubigrip. The tube goes down ward and then I just curl it back up behind my pump ( trapped between the two layers of tubigrip) and underneath any clothes.

It sounds complicated.. But I can get my pump in position within 15 seconds.. I timed it tonight..... And it then just stays there till set change.

Yes it is visible if I wear a vest top like in the photo, but that is only just in hot weather in the summer, and very rarely get comments.

For me, I chose the size tubigrip by buying them all through trial and error and then got told by chemist that my gp could orescribe them.. And got them prescribed ever since. Means I can get the longest kength tubi grip, cut it up to the size I want and just throw both layers away everytime I do a cartridge change....
Mi could not entertain wearing a pump anywhere else. I could not entertain having to think about it everytime I go to loo or take my clothes off or go to bed.

tinyroman

You're right Donnellydogs. I've been wearing the pump and cannula on my arm and it's much more comfortable. Thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Brilliant... It is far less to worry about when putting clothes on and off. I wear really tight fitting tshirts with long arms.. Yes you can see the outline of something being attached to my arm, but nobody asks when wearing long sleeves....
Hope your wedding outfit with pump is successful!!
If using tubigrip get your gp to prescribe it. Take the packet in to them when you find the size tubigrip that is good for you.. Dont have one that is too tight..

Good luck