1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Where else can a guitarist prick to test other than fingers ?

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Bigonabianchi, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Bigonabianchi

Bigonabianchi · Member

Playing guitar is a huge part of my life and I don’t fancy pricking my fingers constantly , where else on my body can I take the blood sample please?

• Like Like x 1
  2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Three ideas.
    Are you pricking too deep or on the pad of your finger? If your hands are warm, your Lancet does not need to go in too deep and it shouldn't hurt.
    Have you thought about investing in Libre to minimise (but not entirely replace) finger pricks.
    Meters used to come with a Lancet attachment which allowed you to prick elsewhere such as your arm but you need to adjust the numbers your meter gives you if you do that. Other places on your body given different readings to fingers

3. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Lol, I play too. I don’t prick my fretting hand. My meter came with a little map of alternate sites to stab, you should check your meters instructions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It may depend on your meter.
    My Freestyle Freedom Lite came with an alternative head for the lancet device for testing using other areas of the body, such as the arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6. barrym

barrym LADA · Well-Known Member

Some years ago while in hospital (non-diabetic reason) a mature nurse came to do a blood test and she pricked the extreme side of my fingers. When I asked her reason, she said,

"What's one of the more serious side effects of diabetes? Yes, eye problems even blindness. What do a lot of blind people do to read? Yep, braille. So why would we want to desensitise your fingers?"

Maybe extreme but nevertheless some sense in the logic.

I don't prick that often now (Libre) but every time I do, I think of her.

7. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

@Bigonabianchi You could try the top of each finger, below the finger nail/cuticle and above the knuckle, where there’s a small amount of soft flesh.

I don’t play, so I don’t know if this would be more acceptable.

8. Bigonabianchi

Bigonabianchi · Member

Thanks all... I think I’ll try to use a location off of the fingers entirely once I get the hang of this testing ‘regime’. The libre will be were I end up I suspect . Still finding setting up the Tee2+ a challenge this morning lol!

9. Theedamned

Theedamned · Newbie

Also a guitar player. I use blood glucose meters that allow alternative sites, i.e., lower arms. Freestyle Lite allows this and is the most accurate. Use a painless Lance. Suggest the Accu-Chek FastClix Lance, with a 6 barrel lancet, and depth adjustable. Testing the Freestyle Libre 2 system now, but not ready for prime time.

10. Gafspa

Gafspa · Active Member

Have you tried your toes? When I was in hospital they used my toes a few times to stop my fingers from getting sore.
    I often struggle to get blood out of my toes as I have cold feet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well mine goes to 11! And you can hear the sustain from Singapore!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook