Where to go for Information and Support

Kat1979

Hi,
Ive been diagnosed with T2 (diet controlled) diabetes today...to say I'm in shock is an understatement.
I am overweight and dont have a great diet, but have no symptoms of diabetes.
I happily went into the Drs this morning to see the Practice Nurse for what I presumed was my asthma review, as it had been mentioned a few weeks prior when i went for bloods due to stomach bloating, only to be told that my blood sugar was high, which initially left me thinking OK, need to do something, to her going on to say they were in the diabetic range.
Not what I had expected at all!
Ive had a few hours in work to distract my thoughts, but now Ive all sorts going round my head.
Ive not been given a testing kit....should I have? Do I need one?
Not been given a contact for support/advice?
I started a better eating path at the beginning of March, called Our Path, which has worked with the NHS in some areas in pilot studies, to help people loose weight and lower blood sugar, obviously I signed up from a weight loss view, but clearly fate knew something else!
Its not low carb, but its about balanced eating, with protein, non-starchy veg, good fats and complex carbs.
I'm wondering if I should look to change to something more low carb?
Im also increasing my step count, to try and help with weight loss, currently averaging 7k per day, which is better than a few weeks ago when in the week being sat behind a desk, dome days I was only moving 3k per day!

I've read some of the posts, and seen the intro one, but i guess I'm just wondering if I should book to see the Nurse or GP to ask about testing and support....?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kat and welcome!
The short answer to your question is, here!
The longer answer is low carb eating will help with weight loss and getting your diabetes under control. Look at my signature to see how it’s helped me.
I would suggest you buy a testing kit, unfortunately as type 2s we don’t get funded, but you will learn so much about what you can and can’t eat. We can advise on a meter if you’d like one. Fire away with any other questions you might have.

Kat1979

Thanks Rachox.
If I were to buy a meter, i think I'd want one which would connect either to an App or PC, so you can see trends etc....do these exist?
Also, how frequently should i then test?! Simple question, but havent a clue where to start.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are meters that connect via Bluetooth or cable, I personally enter the readings into an app called MySugr. I’m sure others will be along with advice about downloading info to computers.

Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/caresens-dual-blood-glucose-and-ketone-meter/

With the strips here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/caresens-pro-blood-glucose-test-strips/

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found itto be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@Kat1979 Welcome to the forum! Trust me you're going to find a lot here to help you manage all of this, it's always such a shock to find all of this out when you go for something unrelated but it does mean that now you can get things under control. Our friendly neighbourhood @Rachox has got you covered there and ask questions if you need to! It's the only way to know!

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kat1979

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Kat1979 we all love a go getter and that's what you are by seeking out information and already walking.

Your diet alone when optimised can get you back into non diabetic numbers in weeks / months which is the good news - this will need to become a lifestyle like getting up and brushing your teeth.

I would suggest you review the differences between LCHF and Keto, which are in short that Keto is a lower carb version of LCHF.

If you want to see the potency of this manner of eating then have a look at Save Money Lose Weight, 2 nights ago, where for once Keto was (apart from the Alpro (imo) ) spot on, even down to explanations with no caveats and bias (sorry "we" are so used to basically misrepresention to protect high carb interests):

https://www.itv.com/hub/save-money-lose-weight/2a5301a0003

A well formulated Keto diet easily against even some of the darling now diets came out on top in both cost and weight loss.

My tips are walk after your meals and when / if you are comfortable do short (5 to 10 minutes) of resistance training along with your walking.

Kat1979

Thanks for advice and reassurance.

@Mbaker I'll watch that this weekend, sounds useful.

Thanks @Rachox ive bought a reader and hope it will come over the weekend so I can start to see good effects from next week.

Thanks

Reactions: Rachox

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say continue with the diet " My Path" and see how it goes. It is early days so a bit to soon to know yet what results you are going to get with it and we are all different when it comes to what works.. If it works for you then thats good if not you can always try the LCHF

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use accu-chek mobile with a wireless connector I had to send off for, which connects up with the mySugr app. I find it really useful but a little expensive.

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Best of luck on your journey. This forum really helped me so much when a year ago I had pre- diabetes blood levels. I started in on the LCHF diet with some intermittent fasting and increased exercise. 1 yr later I am 40 lbs lighter, in better shape, have more energy and the way of eating is second nature. At first you will lose weight quite rapidly which is so encouraging and then it will likely level off to a very, very slow but steady decline. The other changes - loss of life long sweet cravings and constant hunger and normal blood glucose levels were unexpected and welcome changes.