Where's everybody from? And what do you do for work?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A proud Lancashire Lassie, born and bred in Blackpool, lived in Clitheroe for 40 years (just about accepted now by the locals!)
Started working life as a PE teacher, moved to the Civil Service, owned a boarding kennels & cattery for the 20 years prior to retirement. Now a lady of leisure.

Reactions: 14 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Born and grew up in Warrington, but have lived and worked in Tokyo, Hong Kong and now settled in Epsom, working in London as an Analyst Developer in the Finance industry.

Reactions: 7 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I live in Durham and am a smart repairer and on the roads all the time and by myself, anybody else in the same situation and think about hypos when they all alone? Lol
I live in Nottinghamshire...I am gardener and spending most of my time in work on my own company. Even I'm type 2, but because I take insulin...having to drive and spending lot of time away in areas where I might not see other people for some time..hypos are something I have to prepare for.
I always carry something sweet in my pocket, I keep phone with me, even I hate the bloody thing, and I test my blood before I set out so I know I'm ok, at least to start with. I do get advance warning for on coming hypos so I don't tend to get surprised by them and If I know I'll be doing something physically demanding...having slightly elevated blood sugars to start with will be safer option than trying to get work done with very tight control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I live in Dudley in the West Midlands. I used to be a secretary for the NHS but I am off sick with other conditions, not diabetes related.

Only been diagnosed 6 months so learning new things all the time. This forum is good because people often have a solution to any query you may have :)

Reactions: 14 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, born in Bootle
My Dad grew up in Bootle :)

Hello everyone!
I'm born and bred in Birmingham, but had a few years in London/Essex. I work as a Senior Analyst for the Care Quality Commission, and have a background in NHS trusts, but unfortunately I've never been important enough to influence diabetes care!

Reactions: 10 people

trudy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya I'm from kent and 39yrs old. I work for the NHS in the mental health department. I live with my fiance and am really happy

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have lived in Surrey, West Wales, Greece and Lincolnshire.

Started work as a waitress, then in offices, been a pro student, a uni tutor and now back in offices. Currently number crunching.

:D

Reactions: 15 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was born in Somerset, moved to London as a teenager, lived in Surrey, Essex, Kent, Essex, New York, Surrey, Florida and now Somerset again.

I worked in the City of London on the Trading Floor of an International Bank(s) until I was in my late 30's , then semi-retired went to Florida, lost all my money and came back with not a lot left. Now I am an Operations/Transport Manager for a large Transport Company.

Reactions: 8 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was born in Harrow, family moved to Kent when I was 2 so was brought up in Canterbury.

Went to Uni in York, then moved to Newbury, And then back to Kent again....Moved to Cyprus, then to Holland then landed back in Kent just outside a place called Faversham.

We are looking at a final retirement move to deepest Scotland in the next couple of years.

I worked as an NHS Project Manager for a number of years but gave it all up in November last year and set up as a Freelancer.

Reactions: 8 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Born in Yorkshire - moved south when I was 5 (I had no say in the decision ), grew up in Milton Keynes - moved to North London when 22 and still here 25 years later. Did have a holiday home in Bournemouth until recently - love to spend lots of time by the beach.

Starting to think about selling up and moving to a country lifestyle ... well maybe

I run a design and build business - I'm a trained interior designer, we work principally on residential projects in/around Islington. (It's not as glamorous as people think!!)

Reactions: 10 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
My claim to fame is that I was born in a castle! Airthrey Castle in Bridge-of-Allen Scotland (when it was being used as a nursing home) lived in Scotland all of my life and worked as a local government officer, retrained and then worked in a parish and for Scripture Union. "Retired" now

Reactions: 16 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Born in Beckenham, live in a village near ipswich suffolk. At the moment am unemployed

Reactions: 9 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lol, I wasn't sure if King of the Hill had made its way to the UK or not. I haven't seen a Beavis and Butthead episode in years.

I do live on Texas though. Financial Advisor by profession. Not sure if it's called the same thing in the UK.

Oh yes we know Hank

Reactions: 4 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wooohoooo @BeccyB I grew up in poet's corner by the docks. Whereabouts is yer alfella from then? (See what I did there I'm speaking proper!)
Was he a St George lad or a Salesian lad?

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. I'm from Montreal, Canada. My boyfriend's from England, and has a pre-teen (Canadian) daughter (whom I occasionally trick into eating "healthy" low carb treats -- hah!). We've spent a few Christmases back in the motherland with his immediate and extended family, shuttling between London, Wolverhampton, and Yorkshire. I've got a background in communications and have been working for the last 9 years at a multinational business software company, writing stuff.

Reactions: 9 people

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
I was born in Upminster, Essex - moved to Berkshire aged 6. Have now lived on the North Devon Coast for the past 20 years and work as a bookseller in an independent bookshop. Love travelling around Britain in our trusty campervan whenever we have the time.

Reactions: 7 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I live I Durham but originally born in Buckinghamshire.

I am self employed within that I have three different services and one hasn't launched yet as I'm trying to get a collection together (I'm on the craft thread with my dresses)

Reactions: 6 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello! Was born In Basildon Essex, then moved to Dagenham, Essex and now currently live in canning town London :) currently not working due to being 32 weeks pregnant :) xxx

Reactions: 2 people