Which Bread?

Genie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi I have tried different breads, then tested and the only one I have now is Burgen bread no rising of BG readings. Also I buy 2 lidl rolls a week cut them in half and have half a time on alternate days. They too do not rise my BG readings, but this is only me, everyone is different, just thought I would share this in case it works for someone else too.:):)

I buy LIVLIFE bread from Morrisons £1.00, also Waitrose. £1.50
It has only 4 carbs per slice, it is only a small loaf and has seeds in it, but it's really filling and really nice, ideal for diabetics.
Genie1

Reactions: 2 people

Genie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Most discussions i have read has advised that it is OK to eat Brown Bread in moderation. I also attended the Desmond Program where we were all given Brown Bread to eat, the nurse, as well as my Doctor has also encourage eating no more than two slices of Brown Bread per serving. I am newly diagnosed and still working my way through a maze of info from everyone!!!! I have ditched Brown Bread for Dark Seeded Organic Bread and now waiting for my blood test in a few days to see if i am OK. If you have switched bread or have any advice for my choice i would love to hear from you.
IDShot_540x540.jpg

I buy LIVLIFE bread from Morrisons £1.00, also Waitrose. £1.50
It has only 4 carbs per slice, it is only a small loaf and has seeds in it, but it's really filling and really nice, ideal for diabetics.
Genie1

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Buy a blood test kit and rigorously test your blood first thing in the morning and 2 hours after meals. Keep a note of everything that you eat and gradually introduce different foods, one at a time so that you know what is causing a rise in blood sugar. I have found that I can eat gluten and wheat free bread, but not other forms. Oats only by the teaspoonful for when I am at work. I can eat potato and most vegetables in moderation and occasionally enjoy a cup of hot malt yeast drink, Vitamin B levels are important to keep up on a restricted diet. What you will find is that everyone's T2 is different and you find your own way. It takes time, I have been at it for a couple of months now, but LCHF was not an option for me. A fitness programme using free videos on utube has worked wonders for my self esteem.
Don't panic, take control and work logically and you will slowly work out the logic of your own body.

Reactions: 4 people

Ponchu

hi, my advise to you is to get your gp putting you on diabetes education course. this will give you a clear information on diabetic, what you can eat & whats good for you. its the only way to fully understand, get the grip of it & live a normal life again.
like you, i was concerned & confused but my gp had asked me if im interested on going to the course. it was the best decision ive ever made, its a 3 days courses but well worth it. id highly recommended! by the end of the course you wish you knew about the course when you were prediabetes. you could easily reverse back by knowing what to eat with healthy diet.

to put your mind at rest, you can eat pretty much everything but with the right portions & how many calories intake per day. from the course you will learn all that.

with that, all youll need to do is to make sure that whatever you eat, you dont exceed the daily recommendations as below:
Calories: 2000kcal
Total fat: 70g
Saturates: 20g
Total Carbs: 260g
Sugars: 90g
Protein: 50g
Salt: 6g

this is your allowances to eat per day. to understand fully in depth, i highly recommend you to get your gp putting you on dietitian course or youd never be overcome your worries. good luck!

This is how dieticians work hand-in-hand with the Diabetes industry.

Supply & Demand.
Job security

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.

low_carbb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks great, seems to be in Australia only, are the slices the same size as your average bread?
I just have one slice of LIVLIFE bread in the morning or at lunch and its gives way better blood sugar results compared to the other type of bread available on the shop shelf ( the lowest ive found on the supermarket was 9g of carbs per slice and the Bg results were still not very good)

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

Looks great, seems to be in Australia only, are the slices the same size as your average bread?
I just have one slice of LIVLIFE bread in the morning or at lunch and its gives way better blood sugar results compared to the other type of bread available on the shop shelf ( the lowest ive found on the supermarket was 9g of carbs per slice and the Bg results were still not very good)
Much of a much ness, tho' they are slightly smaller than white bread.

@low_carbb Here's the test I did last year with HB bread, start at the bottom and it will make sense when you work up. The bgl are pretty good as I far as I am concerned.

5FLpYx2.jpg

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Carol the bread is £1.00 and the Carbs are 34.2g of which 2.3g is sugar. My Doctor advised me to have oats which i eat daily, i buy Quaker Oats so i can have a measured packet but they contain more carbs and no sugar so i would say the bread is less harm right now. Still trying to work out what else to avoid as i have given up Cheese, eggs, rice, jams, honey, spreads, and pasta... any advise is welcome... ;)
Why did you give up cheese and eggs? These are good foods for a person with diabetes, which is a difficulty in digesting carbohydrates.

low_carbb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Much of a much ness, tho' they are slightly smaller than white bread.

@low_carbb Here's the test I did last year with HB bread, start at the bottom and it will make sense when you work up. The bgl are pretty good as I far as I am concerned.

5FLpYx2.jpg

5.90 mmol after 4 slices is pretty impressive! (I get around 5.2 with my one slice) might give low carb pasta a try soon and see how it goes.

low_carbb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not got any of HB's pasta yet as I have a stack of cooked portions of pasta in the freezer, I then reheat them when needed. I have got the portion size down so they do not blow my bgl to shreds.

I watched the Trust Me I Am A Doc program where Mosely demonstrated it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761

Great article, always loved the crunchy texture of reheated cold pasta.. never knew that was 'resistant starch', good old Dr Mosely:)