Which Bread?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From searching on the web the semolina rimacinata flour has 71gr carbs per 100gr so its quite high in carbs unfortunately and while the whole meal flour sourdough reduces the GI of the bread it is still quite high in carbs as well so all round it is still quite a high carb bread which would generally not be good for diabetics but in saying that we are all different. The best way to see if you can tolerate the bread is to test your BS before eating it and then 2 hours later and then you will know if it is ok to eat.

Reactions: 3 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I am type 2, since June 2012 and I also have high blood pressure. I am on medication (for diabetes: Glucophage XR 1000 mg, Roswera, injections with Victoza - last one is known as decreasing hunger/ appetite). I am under diabetologyst care and I follow a diet prescribed by a nutritionist, with 1700 kcal daily intake). My fasting BG is always high, around 200 mg/dl. Regarding bread, I am baking my own sourdough bread at home using a whole meal flour sourdough and semolina rimacinata flour (semolina di grano duro). What do you know about this flour? Is suitable for diabetic people?
I would really try and reduce your bread consumption and take it from there.. I used to seriously bake sourdough and just has to stop.... :(.... I now bake it for the rest of the family that seem to have been spared DB.... :)

daniela13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From searching on the web the semolina rimacinata flour has 71gr carbs per 100gr so its quite high in carbs unfortunately and while the whole meal flour sourdough reduces the GI of the bread it is still quite high in carbs as well so all round it is still quite a high carb bread which would generally not be good for diabetics but in saying that we are all different. The best way to see if you can tolerate the bread is to test your BS before eating it and then 2 hours later and then you will know if it is ok to eat.
Hi, thank you for reply. What flour has an acceptable amount of carbs/100 gr to make bread?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Almond flour to make my bread. It has 4.3gr carbs per 100gr.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went to LIDL this morning to stock up with the High Protein rolls. I also bought a Low GI loaf. I had a couple of buttered slices for lunch, and they were really good. Like 'normal' crusty bread. I don't know what the carb content is, I couldn't find anything on the LIDL website about it, except a picture.

lowgi.jpg

Edit: I found the figures on the fitnesspal website. Apparently there are 43g of carbohydrates (4g sugar) per 100g. So a bit on the high side for a very low carb diet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to LIDL this morning to stock up with the High Protein rolls. I also bought a Low GI loaf. I had a couple of buttered slices for lunch, and they were really good. Like 'normal' crusty bread. I don't know what the carb content is, I couldn't find anything on the LIDL website about it, except a picture.

View attachment 17070
I live on these - I think I may have mentioned them upthread -- they are delicious, freeze well and don't seem to spike me too much.

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I live on these - I think I may have mentioned them upthread -- they are delicious, freeze well and don't seem to spike me too much.
I found the figures - 43g of carbohydrates (4g sugars) per 100g. So a bit high for very low carb diet. But ok for me. I have frozen some slices, and will buy again.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl do a high protein roll for 39p per roll.It is around 11.5g of carbohydrate per roll.I can get four nice slices out of one too.So less than 3g per slice.This is part of the LCHF diet I have been following for a month and a half.My B.G. levels are down significantly.Others bake their own bread using almond flour and coconut flour as lower carb alternatives.
Many here are enjoying success with low carbing against the advice of their health practitioners.Testing your blood sugars before and after meals is really the only way to find out how you tolerate different foods as we are all different.
I started off eating one of these a day for my lunch when they first appeared but now I manage with 1/2 . Did you know they have 8.7g carbs and a massive 27g protein in 100g!! I buy a dozen at once and freeze . They defrost beautifully or the cheats way is 50secs in my microwave. They really fill you up as well. I even teake them abroad with me and freeze when I get there,

Reactions: 2 people

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Most discussions i have read has advised that it is OK to eat Brown Bread in moderation. I also attended the Desmond Program where we were all given Brown Bread to eat, the nurse, as well as my Doctor has also encourage eating no more than two slices of Brown Bread per serving. I am newly diagnosed and still working my way through a maze of info from everyone!!!! I have ditched Brown Bread for Dark Seeded Organic Bread and now waiting for my blood test in a few days to see if i am OK. If you have switched bread or have any advice for my choice i would love to hear from you.

IDShot_540x540.jpg
Your doctor is clueless, sorry, I have to be honest. Breads with this many carbs, 2 slices at a meal?? Get a new doctor, this advice will have you severely in need of major insulin and loads of complications down the road.. Bread is a NO NO. Go LCHF, start a very frequent exercise program and YES you must. Buy a meter and test, test, test every food, for 2 weeks and you'll get an idea of what YOU need. Continue monitoring blood & guarantee you, this will cure you. But NO cheating.

Reactions: 4 people

Polarice

My problem is that I get so hungry without bread - or potato's. I have T2 and have tried very hard to cut out the 'bad' foods, but I get terrible hunger pains and I invariably end up eating something 'bad' like a sandwich to kill the pain, that or a bowl of my partners cornflakes. I always wake during the night starving hungry, so I have to eat something, again it is often a bowl of cornflakes.. Sticking to the 'good' foods I should eat doesn't help at all with my hunger.
Any advice on 'good' filling foods that I can, or should, eat would be gratefully received. For other reasons, I can't eat many vegetables or fruit, my stomach won't tolerate them, nor can I eat cheese as that gives me a migraine. But potato's are one vegetable that doesn't upset my stomach; when I eat them I have them baked in their jacket, so no added fat or anything from cooking.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide !

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most discussions i have read has advised that it is OK to eat Brown Bread in moderation. I also attended the Desmond Program where we were all given Brown Bread to eat, the nurse, as well as my Doctor has also encourage eating no more than two slices of Brown Bread per serving. I am newly diagnosed and still working my way through a maze of info from everyone!!!! I have ditched Brown Bread for Dark Seeded Organic Bread and now waiting for my blood test in a few days to see if i am OK. If you have switched bread or have any advice for my choice i would love to hear from you.
IDShot_540x540.jpg
Yerusha, may i give you my take on your question, first would say your choice is way healthier than just plain old brown bread, which usually isn't even whole meal anyway, this bread is, firstly--wheat free, good- it's organic,good- it has rye good and it's made in Germany the best--- i personally use the pumpernickel myself--just a taste choice, but i can have one piece at a time--adding fat helps, like butter which is GOOD for you and eggs are as well, as is bone broth and grass fed meat plain nuts--exercise of any sort is key-- chromium and magnesium cinnamon and various herbal remedies--get weight down if needed.high fibre is another key addition for type 2's don't know why insulin was mentioned on here you are type 2 and insulin is not the protocol for you as a newly diagnosed 2... there are some fab videos on you tube--on nutrition, diabetes & steps to lose weight if necessary some alt dr.s dr. bergman dr. hyman dr. axe dr. mercola dr. bob , jason fung to name a few, oh and acupuncture ...hope this all helps

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My problem is that I get so hungry without bread - or potato's. I have T2 and have tried very hard to cut out the 'bad' foods, but I get terrible hunger pains and I invariably end up eating something 'bad' like a sandwich to kill the pain, that or a bowl of my partners cornflakes. I always wake during the night starving hungry, so I have to eat something, again it is often a bowl of cornflakes.. Sticking to the 'good' foods I should eat doesn't help at all with my hunger.
Any advice on 'good' filling foods that I can, or should, eat would be gratefully received. For other reasons, I can't eat many vegetables or fruit, my stomach won't tolerate them, nor can I eat cheese as that gives me a migraine. But potato's are one vegetable that doesn't upset my stomach; when I eat them I have them baked in their jacket, so no added fat or anything from cooking.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide !
toooo bad no added fat...all the new research shows fats satisfy and are good for you and slow the rise in glucose spuds are healthy ish esp organic and scoop out alot of the middle--corn flakes killer ! your better to have eggs or some chicken or fish when youre hungry in the evening or nuts even---you will get hungrier eating cornflakes--fact

specialk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is anyone cutting down on sugar? I am trying to keep to under 6 spoonfuls a day. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Cutting out sugar does mean I am cutting carbs.

specialk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
toooo bad no added fat...all the new research shows fats satisfy and are good for you and slow the rise in glucose spuds are healthy ish esp organic and scoop out alot of the middle--corn flakes killer ! your better to have eggs or some chicken or fish when youre hungry in the evening or nuts even---you will get hungrier eating cornflakes--fact
I am eating Atkins high protien bars. They may help you.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
M &S do a high bran which I think is about 11 g of carbs a slice. I also get burgeon. Interestingly I can eat white bread with egg mayo on as a sandwich and it doesn't spike me!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@specialk it is best to cut sugar out completely. What are you using sugar in as there are many substitutes if you cant do without the sweet taste.

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Polarice there is still plenty to eat. How much fat are you eating as this is the key to staving off the hunger pains. A handful of nuts is always a good filler, eggs, or chicken. I always have low carb bread and baking in the freezer so if I feel hungry its easy to grab something. Cornflakes are carbs so try to stay away from them if you can. It can be hard making the change from the foods you know and love to low carb foods, it took me a year to sort it out but it is well worth the effort.