Catie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Hi -lo loaf is only 5 carbs per slice.
http://www.hi-lo-bread.co.uk

I get it at Sainsburys. It's only a small loaf. It's nice but a heavy bread, so I prefer to toast it. Due to having out of control levels
For do long as a type 2 diabetic with the threat of being put on insulin next vist. I have gone on a low carb diet.

For breakfast I have an Atkins vanilla shake made with water ( it's very yummy) and I put a tablespoon of benefibre in it.

For lunch I have that hi lo toasted with avocado or egg.

I have an Atkins chocolate bar in the afternoon that tastes like a bounty bar.

Dinner I have minestrone home made soup with tiny pasta shells or anything in reason.

My sugar levels are now consistently under the required amount.

I don't follow the Atkins diet or anything. The way I see it, it's moderation. Since I'm having such a low carb breakfast
And lunch. I can go out once a week and have a 500 cal pizza / small pizza or pasta dish, if there are no other options and still
Have great sugar readings.

The other day I walked so much around the city and ended up having a wholemeal wrap for lunch and was very nervous about all the carbs. However, all the exercise balanced it out.

So as a former carb junkie, cutting down the carbs is the key!

Reactions: 4 people

Chelseabun

I've read down to here with interest. I've been type 2 for 16 years and have insulin to control it.
The best message I can give is to eat healthily and if you are unsure of whether something is going to spike quickly then test it out as already mentioned by others.
I had really bad advice from the doctors and nurses so had to find my own way through the maze.
Last year I went on the Slimming world diet which is recommended by the NHS. Bread was almost illiminated except wholemeal bread.But rice, pasta and potatoes weren't. Overall it's a low fat and sugar diet rather than carbs. I did well on it and lost weight even though I ate cereal bars and sugar babies when out on a hike,
For me this is my problem...when I'm active I need to keep myself from getting hypos.
I've been experimenting with home made scones made with wholemeal flour or Spelt . I have found they are nourishing, filling and don't give me highs at all. You can make them with just flour with bicarbonate of soda , and milk ...200c in oven for fifteen minutes.

sharrish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ideally, when eating any types of carbohydrates there are a number of things to consider. First, complex carbohydrates are best as they metabolize more slowly and therefore have less of a blood sugar spiking effect. Second, fibre, the more fibre that the food contains, the slower the metabolism of carbohydrates into glucose. Humans cannot digest fibre, and therefore it does not contribute to our insulin requirement. Therefore rather than specific attention to the sugar amount on the label, focusing on the net carbohydrate value (subtract the total grams of fibre from the total grams of carbohydrates) that is the amount of carbohydrate that you require insulin for. Third, combining with healthy fats, like coconut oil or an avocado mash, or nut butter will work nicely to again slow the rate at which the carbs are metabolized and create a much flatter profile to BG increase. These all translate into the food also lasting longer in the body keeping you feeling fuller longer, and without high amplitude blood glucose fluctuations. This is great for Type 1 and 2 diabetics, for T1D's the insulin activity profile will then better align with the rate at which blood glucose is increasing, thereby preventing a near term high followed by a low later as the insulin is getting into full swing. The same effect is seen on the type two and facilitates the body's own ability to keep up with in BG increase and thereby reducing the need for as much, or in some cases, any medication. The same applies to adding protein to the meal with carbohydrates, eating the right combination of each can slow glucose metabolism and provide better glycemic control.

Another consideration, especially in bread products is to avoid flour, flour of any kind, whole wheat, spelt, or otherwise is ground from the original grain. This means that it is in a "pre-digested" state and has a much more dramatic effect on blood sugar increase vs. an equivalent carb value bread that does not contain flour. I'm not sure of specific brands available in the UK, but in Canada and now the US I have found http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca to be a particular favourite. The key is to look for Sprouted Grains, whether it be cereal or bread. These will typically have a much lower carbohydrate value, high fibre value, no flour, and sprouted grains tend to be high in nutrients, and by being sprouted they are easier to digest with a much high bioavailability of nutrients, win win.

I have been a T1D for 26 years now and in the spring of 2012 I made many lifestyle changes. I began educating myself with respect to food and nutrition as a whole, began changing (evolving) my diet, and increasing my physical activity. The more informed you are, the easier it is to make healthy choices that are even more delicious than before, and control your diabetes. For 3 years now I have maintained a HbA1c of 6.4-6.7% without a pump. I dropped about 40 lbs of fat, and have managed to put on lean muscle mass. My body fat percent was in the mid to upper 20's and now I sit around 15% body fat, which is far better for long term health, as fat increases insulin resistance and is far more taxing on every body system, contributing the effects of long term diabetes.

Many foods that people enjoy can continued to be eaten, as cooking is really all about chemistry and if you can make alternative ingredient selections, you can make an even more flavourful dish that is lower in bad fats, lower in carbohydrates and especially refined sugars, while being higher in fibre, protein, and healthy fats.

One of my favourites is the Max Flax from SilverHills
CAN-Macks-Flax-Nutrition-Label-July-2015-322x1024.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've read down to here with interest. I've been type 2 for 16 years and have insulin to control it.
The best message I can give is to eat healthily and if you are unsure of whether something is going to spike quickly then test it out as already mentioned by others.
I had really bad advice from the doctors and nurses so had to find my own way through the maze.
Last year I went on the Slimming world diet which is recommended by the NHS. Bread was almost illiminated except wholemeal bread.But rice, pasta and potatoes weren't. Overall it's a low fat and sugar diet rather than carbs. I did well on it and lost weight even though I ate cereal bars and sugar babies when out on a hike,
For me this is my problem...when I'm active I need to keep myself from getting hypos.
I've been experimenting with home made scones made with wholemeal flour or Spelt . I have found they are nourishing, filling and don't give me highs at all. You can make them with just flour with bicarbonate of soda , and milk ...200c in oven for fifteen minutes.

Can I have the full recipe for this too please?

hchick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lidl do a high protein roll for 39p per roll.It is around 11.5g of carbohydrate per roll.I can get four nice slices out of one too.So less than 3g per slice.This is part of the LCHF diet I have been following for a month and a half.My B.G. levels are down significantly.Others bake their own bread using almond flour and coconut flour as lower carb alternatives.
Many here are enjoying success with low carbing against the advice of their health practitioners.Testing your blood sugars before and after meals is really the only way to find out how you tolerate different foods as we are all different.
Lidl do a high protein roll for 39p per roll.It is around 11.5g of carbohydrate per roll.I can get four nice slices out of one too.So less than 3g per slice.This is part of the LCHF diet I have been following for a month and a half.My B.G. levels are down significantly.Others bake their own bread using almond flour and coconut flour as lower carb alternatives.
Many here are enjoying success with low carbing against the advice of their health practitioners.Testing your blood sugars before and after meals is really the only way to find out how you tolerate different foods as we are all different.
Hi group

I've recently joined group and am so confused with all the conflicting advice. I've recently purchased the Lidl rolls. So have given up bread. My doc frowned at me and said no when u told him about following a LCHF diet so did the nurse. I've lost my sheet of foods I should eat. But doc says I don't need to test my own BS so won't give me a monitor or strips. However my HBA1C this week was 95 much higher than its ever been. And I've been told to go on a strict diet. Doc says no to slimming world. Nurse says yes go. And this forum says no need.
HELP

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Evening hchick,your doc and your nurse won't be suffering when( hopefully not) you got worse following thier outdated advices,this forum and the posters on here know more than they do,advice that i know works i'm living proof ! So its up to you,keep posting and asking q's and you will get there,and how would we ever know what affects our bs if we do not " monitor our bs's, when i was told sorry you can not have a meter , i went out and bought my own,then after a few months, my bs's came down from26.8 to todays av' of 4.0 mmols am fasting......my doc relented and now i get the strips on prescription, and he even had the cheek to say " i don't know what your doing, but keep doing it" lol clive

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread is bread which ever way you dress it up.
Test before and after and if you are okay, then you're good.... if not, you're only fooling yourself.
A slice of my fav, made by myself, sourdough sends me way high, way higher than I need, so I've not had a slice for 18 months... I still bake it because there are those around me who can enjoy it without worrying....

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd love to try this please, for my pre D husband, how much is a cup of almond flour and honey in imperial please?

I use a 'Tala's cook's measure' when measuring the ingredients, which makes using recipes from either Britain or the US relatively easy, as it's hands-on. (Much easier than using conversion tables off the internet, but I do that too.)

Tala Cook's measure.jpg

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I'm still using the lidl protein roll as a treat, 1/4 or a roll early or late at night seems to be fine on my BG
Once I finish with the low carb diet and switch to a maintenance diet hopefully in March as my BMI is now 23 down from 25.6
I can have half a roll, the joys of rationing :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I have tried different breads, then tested and the only one I have now is Burgen bread no rising of BG readings. Also I buy 2 lidl rolls a week cut them in half and have half a time on alternate days. They too do not rise my BG readings, but this is only me, everyone is different, just thought I would share this in case it works for someone else too.:):)

Susan1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most discussions i have read has advised that it is OK to eat Brown Bread in moderation. I also attended the Desmond Program where we were all given Brown Bread to eat, the nurse, as well as my Doctor has also encourage eating no more than two slices of Brown Bread per serving. I am newly diagnosed and still working my way through a maze of info from everyone!!!! I have ditched Brown Bread for Dark Seeded Organic Bread and now waiting for my blood test in a few days to see if i am OK. If you have switched bread or have any advice for my choice i would love to hear from you.
IDShot_540x540.jpg
I just go by the number of carbs in a slice. In general, I will buy the small wholemeal loaves that are around 11 carbs per slice and I only eat one at a time, unless I'm going for a walk or being more energetic than usual.

Dave4jackie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most discussions i have read has advised that it is OK to eat Brown Bread in moderation. I also attended the Desmond Program where we were all given Brown Bread to eat, the nurse, as well as my Doctor has also encourage eating no more than two slices of Brown Bread per serving. I am newly diagnosed and still working my way through a maze of info from everyone!!!! I have ditched Brown Bread for Dark Seeded Organic Bread and now waiting for my blood test in a few days to see if i am OK. If you have switched bread or have any advice for my choice i would love to hear from you.
IDShot_540x540.jpg
I have been a type 2 diabetic for over 12 years and had been having problems keeping my blood glucose under control lately. I learned about the low carb diet on here and have given up all bread, potatoes and pasta and restrict rice to a little whole grain only. The results are great I have more energy lower blood glucose and feel better than I have in a long time. There's too much bad information out there. I can only say this diet is working for me. All bread is full of carbs and carbs are sugar and bad for us.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly why I bake my own but luckily for some they can tolerate some bread.

muggs45

Carol the bread is £1.00 and the Carbs are 34.2g of which 2.3g is sugar. My Doctor advised me to have oats which i eat daily, i buy Quaker Oats so i can have a measured packet but they contain more carbs and no sugar so i would say the bread is less harm right now. Still trying to work out what else to avoid as i have given up Cheese, eggs, rice, jams, honey, spreads, and pasta... any advise is welcome... ;)[/QUOTE

LCC

Most discussions i have read has advised that it is OK to eat Brown Bread in moderation. I also attended the Desmond Program where we were all given Brown Bread to eat, the nurse, as well as my Doctor has also encourage eating no more than two slices of Brown Bread per serving. I am newly diagnosed and still working my way through a maze of info from everyone!!!! I have ditched Brown Bread for Dark Seeded Organic Bread and now waiting for my blood test in a few days to see if i am OK. If you have switched bread or have any advice for my choice i
Type 2s have it harder in 'some respects', not all...

From my (limited) understanding, I believe Type 2's vary wildy with respect to their individual Insulin Resistance etc.

I think it's very hard to abruptly give up something u have enjoyed for a long time. Gradual transition is key..
I use bread sparingly, but I always use Burgen with Soya and Lindseed bread which is so much lower in carbs than most breads at 11 and sugar 1.8. I do find the lowest carbohydrate bread per slice is much better.
would love to hear from you.
IDShot_540x540.jpg

muggs45

Carol the bread is £1.00 and the Carbs are 34.2g of which 2.3g is sugar. My Doctor advised me to have oats which i eat daily, i buy Quaker Oats so i can have a measured packet but they contain more carbs and no sugar so i would say the bread is less harm right now. Still trying to work out what else to avoid as i have given up Cheese, eggs, rice, jams, honey, spreads, and pasta... any advise is welcome... ;)
.....May I advise not using pre-packaged Quaker Oats......
I purchase STEEL CUT OATS in bulk @ store ($ 0.63) per pound....
I have a small (2 cup) rice cooker ...and every morning I make my own oatmeal breakfast,,,total control over everything.
1/3 C. Oats
1 C. Water (may need + or - a bit)
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
Set it and forget it.... In about 30 -40 mins it will be ready...you cal leave it to cook a little longer and the bottom will brown up a bit.
Then it is into your bowl and do with it as you please....I like Walnuts & Bananas on mine with a dolop of heavy cream.....But that 's me.
You can double it if you wish...but you will save time, money and agrivation over the contents of your oatmeal..... Good Luck