Which carb guide?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I've been using either packaging or the Internet for carb values but some of the info varies so much. Sprouts 4.1/100 on packet 9/100 online!
Which is more accurate?
And which book is the best?
I know a lot of people use carbs and cals bug what about one of the Collins pocket guides? Or another author. Which is the easiest? I always weigh so not too worried about the proton sizes as per carbs and cals. Per 100g is more helpful to me.
Thanks Donna x

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have just googled "carbs in sprouts" and got 9g.

If you google "net carbs in sprouts", you get a lower amount. This is the total carbs minus the fibre. Maybe this explains the difference?

Sorry, I can't recommend a book. I usually just google as my eyes are not good enough at the moment to read tiny print on food labels. Good luck.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

PS - I'd go with the lower, net carbs, amount on the packet of sprouts.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Carbs & Cals is good for a visual guide, however I still think the best book by far is The Claorie Carb & Fat Bible, it's updated every year so the 2014 book should be out soon.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Avocado. I had no idea about the possibility of fibre being a part. I don't count fibre, do I?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We all crossed posts there. Does the one you mention Noble give per gram/ 100g?
If so I think I'll wait for the new version of that. Thanks x

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would also suggest considering a nutritional scale. I have one by salter where I can weigh things and it tells me the value of protein, fat, carbs, salt and a few other things too I think. It's really useful for veg (although quite often it has to be cooked for an accurate value) and fruit, but less useful for things like cream cheese and packaged things as the nutritional value of such items can vary a lot dependent on brand.

You can buy these kind of scales on amazon

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We all crossed posts there. Does the one you mention Noble give per gram/ 100g?
If so I think I'll wait for the new version of that. Thanks x

Yes it does, it's has a good comprehensive list of foods and has some great info on diet in the opening chapters, definitely worth buying and I think its around £11 on Amazon.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 2014 is out already. I think my Amazon voucher has found it's home. Thanks do much for the help. X

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the Carbs and Cals book (gives carbs, calories, protein, total fat, saturated fat and fibre) as it is cooked weights. 80g of boiled sprouts is 3 carbs.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
As far as l know in uk we measure total amount l prefer that breaking it down gets to confusing.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here are some other sellers on Amazon that are cheaper, I paid about £13. It's a great book, thanks for the tip x

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
I absolutely love my Carbs and Cals book it is my bible it goes everywhere with me! Even though I haven't been shown how to carb count yet I find it really useful to see exactly what is in the foods I eat