Which foods MUST I avoid at all costs

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pasta doesn't affect blood sugar? I wish! Even wholegrain pasta pushes my BG's up higher than I am prepared to put up with.

I ignore fibre because a) it passes through us unmetabolised and doesn't affect blood glucose, and b) carb counts in nutrition labels are already net of fibre in the UK.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ok im confused the dietician i seen told me pasta was ok because it releases its sugars slowly when it digests and wont really have that much effect on blood sugar levels

As Carty writes, you have to test.

Firstly, it depends on what type of pasta. Even italian pastas can vary, durum wheat semola, durum wheat semolato, whole wheat durum semola for example. The milling of the flour is important and particle sizes which are good for type 2 diabetics tend to be larger. Also, pasta which is cooked 'al dente' makes a difference. I found, with testing, that Buitoni wholewheat pasta was best for me and also Blue Dragon wholewheat noodles. Another variable is also, portion size. Limiting the amount you eat does make a difference

However, it's not just a question of food but also how much damage has been done to your beta cell mass. No one knows how much has been done by the time of diagnosis and the oft quoted 50% is little more than a guess. Without slicing the patient open, there is currently no way of telling and most estimates are based on force fed rats.

Obviously, a patient with 70% of the beta cell mass producing insulin is going to be better off than somone who only has 40% functioning but, since you don't know, testing what effect the food that you eat has on you is the only guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
I just tried Japanese Soba noodles (made from brown rice). No major impact on glucose level so that's what I'll be using in moderation.