Which Insulin to cover lowcarbs

cocodog

Hi

When the meal is high in fat and protein, the humalog just doesnt seem to keep the levels down a few hours afer eating. Any suggestions?

Ella :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Splitting the dose might be an option but you would need to speak with your HCP's on how best to approach this.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey cocodog!

I low-carb and was having similar problems until I moved my night time Insuman basal jab from 10.00pm to 6.30pm. Insuman has a bit of a peak at 4-5 hours, and this coincides with the spike from the low-carb food usually. I take my Apidra with the food according to how many carbs in it, and use the peak of the Insuman to deal with the protein 'spike'. I doubt that would work on the Lantus/Levimir types of basal, though. If that's what you're on, you might have to split the dose and do the extra jab as Nigel suggests.

Smidge

cocodog

Hi noblehead and smidge

Split the humalog, take before eating enough to cover carbohydrates and then wait a few hours and take an amount to cover protein and fat? Chris takes Humulin I twice a day as background, it peaks rapidly between 4-8 hours.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cocodog said:
Hi noblehead and smidge

Split the humalog, take before eating enough to cover carbohydrates and then wait a few hours and take an amount to cover protein and fat? Chris takes Humulin I twice a day as background, it peaks rapidly between 4-8 hours.

It's really trial & error in finding what best works for you with regards to splitting insulin doses but it does involve a lot of testing initially, as I said earlier it's best that you discuss this first with your diabetes team and ask for their advice.