Which Is The Cheapest Lancets And Strips?

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have decided after having my repeat prescription for lancets and test strips cancelled whilst being told that I don't need to test as type 2 sufferers never, ever have a hypo, that I need to start testing again as I have no idea of how well / bad I am doing. My latest review was bad. I am not surprised as I had no idea what my situation was. I felt fine and that is all I had to go by.

That is ludicrous as when I have really looked after myself well, I have had a number of hypos. My diabetic nurse tells me that is rubbish as I cannot have hypos.
I have had several diabetic nurses over the years and all bar this one have discussed hypos with me and agreed that I was happening. Strangely my diabetic history has vanished from my medical records beyond 2015 and she doesn't know why. The practice has changed hands 3 times since I was diagnosed as diabetic but she said that should not cause my records to have vanished.
So she cannot see any evidence of what I say.

Over the past few years I have not looked after myself too well as I have dipped in and out of depression.

Anyway, I am going to have to finance my own strips and lancets, despite it being hammered into me that type 2 diabetics don't need or have to test. Everybody I know in my area who is type 2 is still testing and being provided with strips and lancets. Only one person I know is on insulin as a type 2.

So which ones are the cheapest and is it correct that any test strip can be used in any machine or is it machine specific?

Steve...

sahmraw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use SD Codefree. The strips are only 7.99 and they are accurate. I get mine free now from GP but used codefree for 4 years.

Go to Amazon and put in SD codefree and the monitor and strips show up.
Won't let me put links into my message

Reactions: dog-man

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyway, I am going to have to finance my own strips and lancets, despite it being hammered into me that type 2 diabetics don't need or have to test. Everybody I know in my area who is type 2 is still testing and being provided with strips and lancets. Only one person I know is on insulin as a type 2.

So which ones are the cheapest and is it correct that any test strip can be used in any machine or is it machine specific?
No, as far as I know all strips can only be used in the machine for which they were bought. The Codefree strips are the cheapest, particularly if you buy them in bulk. The price of the lancets is not so important if you decide, like me and many people here, to re-use your lancets many times. Some people don't like to do that, it's up to you, but I never heard of anyone having any problems due to re-using lancets. Of course, should you want to share your equipment with anyone else you must change lancets and clean everything very carefully.

When you buy a meter you will get 10 free strips and 10 free lancets with it. Most people order a packet of lancets at the same time and then, like me, regret it, as I daresay I am still on my first 10! I think I have enough lancets to last me the rest of my life.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Rachox

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So, those who use their lancets more than once, how many times on average do you use them before using a new one. They must eventually lose their sharpness.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
So, those who use their lancets more than once, how many times on average do you use them before using a new one. They must eventually lose their sharpness.

I guess that depends how thick your skin is.
I generally test 6 times a day, and start each day with a new lancet.

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to test four times a day, twice weekly as advised by my first diabetic nurse.
Stuff ordered now so I soon start to regain control.

I cannot believe that the NHS has decided type 2 do not need to monitor their levels. It has to be purely for a cost cutting reason, which they will never admit to.

Reactions: Flora123

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you haven't already, download the mySugr app. It is free and highly motivating.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I re-use mine for so long, I have forgotten when I last changed one. It must be months. I test a lot - 10 times or more daily. Some people think a worn-in lancet is more comfortable. Having to keep testing is bother enough, I really couldn't cope if I had to keep changing lancets. And the waste!!!

Reactions: Gannet

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Lancets do become blunt and some people report that they then cause discomfort.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My neighbour, bless him, as he gifted me his spare GlucoZen machine, said you must change the lancet every time because the blood on the needle will alter the next result. Elderly retired nurse sucked her teeth and proceeded to use each lancet multiple times. Glad others do the same.