Which is worse? - 1hr at 8mmol or 10min at 15

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone point me towards some information on long term effects of different levels?
Or just share your own thoughts on this.

I know that any high sugars are bad, but don't really have an idea of the effects of sustained mild highs vs brief severe highs.

If I were to run the whole day around 8mmol/L my average actually works out higher than if I spend 20 hours at 5mmol/L and 4 hours at 20mmol/L. I'm sure that the latter would make me feel much worse though, and I suspect would be worse for my long term health.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi westley, i can recommend a book by Dr Richard Bernstein " Diabetes Solution4 th edition here he explains the long term complications of bs rises over the norm' .clive

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Clivethedrive, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have Bernstein's book and have found it valuable. However, I don't see an answer to my question in there. He does say that because HbA1c measures average sugar levels it can be deceptively low and fail to reveal brief highs which can still be harmful (page 56).
Since an average is not a good measure, I'm imagining someone must have developed some model for the equivalent harm done by different levels above normal.

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive heard all day at 8mmol is safer than the sharp spike (even if its short term).I read about this on one of polish forums. It was ages ago and I cant remember if it was supported by any research/evidence. Apparently our bodies don't cope well with any sudden changes and being stable (even if its slightly on a higher side) is better than constant rollercoaster.

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The issue with rapid changes is that they induce oxidation in the cells and this stress is particularly harmful to nerves, retinal and kidney cells, so you are better off avoiding them.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Westley,
I work in pharma, where we need to calculate the exposure someone has had to something (e.g. a drug). What does the damage in diabetics is exposure to glucose. We calculate exposure by looking at a line graph of time on the x-axis and concentration on the y-axis. The exposure is calcualted by the area that is under the line.

We can easily calculate the exposure to glucose in the examples you gave:

Exposure = time x concentration

For 60 mins at 8 mmols/l:

60 x 8 = 480

For 10 mins at 15 mmols/l:

10 x 15 = 150

So, you're more exposed to glucose when you spend an hour at 8 mmol/l. However, there are three points to make: is 8 a safe level? Will you only ever be 10 mins at 15? What is an unsafe exposure?

Reactions: 3 people

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Westley,
I work in pharma, where we need to calculate the exposure someone has had to something (e.g. a drug). What does the damage in diabetics is exposure to glucose. We calculate exposure by looking at a line graph of time on the x-axis and concentration on the y-axis. The exposure is calcualted by the area that is under the line.

We can easily calculate the exposure to glucose in the examples you gave:

Exposure = time x concentration

For 60 mins at 8 mmols/l:

60 x 8 = 480

For 10 mins at 15 mmols/l:

10 x 15 = 150

So, you're more exposed to glucose when you spend an hour at 8 mmol/l. However, there are three points to make: is 8 a safe level? Will you only ever be 10 mins at 15? What is an unsafe exposure?
But the 10 minute at 15mmols won't be a true reflection, you'd need to measure it over the hour to see the rise and fall as you'll get an arc in the readings. Sometimes the rise and decline to 15mmols can be over a sustained period . So to effect, you're average comparable is wrong. Need to compare like for like, in this case, you'd need to adjust 8mmol for 10 minutes.

Reactions: 3 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Absolutely. I was answering specifically for the time windows the OP gave and explaining how exposure is calculated.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But the 10 minute at 15mmols won't be a true reflection, you'd need to measure it over the hour to see the rise and fall as you'll get an arc in the readings. Sometimes the rise and decline to 15mmols can be over a sustained period . So to effect, you're average comparable is wrong. Need to compare like for like, in this case, you'd need to adjust 8mmol for 10 minutes.
If we consider that 'normal' people do not suffer diabetes complication damage, then we should only consider the period where bgl exceeds the upper limit for a normal non-diabetic.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If we consider that 'normal' people do not suffer diabetes complication damage, then we should only consider the period where bgl exceeds the upper limit for a normal non-diabetic.

Non diabetics can and do go high after a meal with carbs. However, they come back down quickly and normal services are resumed. That is one difference between diabetics and non-diabetics.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No we shouldn't. Prolonged very high BG levels cause Micro- and Macro-vascular complications. Prolonged moderately high causes some damage. Regular spiking between high and low levels causes oxidative stress and endothelial damage and this predominantly affects the nerves, kidneys and eyes. If you google glycaemic variability there are a lot of papers on this.

The difficult bit is that the oscillation comes second only to prolonged very high levels. In this context, 8 is not high in comparison to 15, and it would really depend over an extended period where you were sitting. To put the eight into context, an Hba1C of 7.5% is roughly the equivalent of an average of 7.7 mmol/l.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
In this context, 8 is not high in comparison to 15, and it would really depend over an extended period where you were sitting. To put the eight into context, an Hba1C of 7.5% is roughly the equivalent of an average of 7.7 mmol/l.

HB1AC CON.png

Not according to the converter tool. A HBA1C of 7.5 % in the 9.4 mmol range.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks @SamJB - yes, that seems something like what I was imagining, but I agree with @Oldvatr that simply taking the area between the horizontal line at 0mmol and the actual curve would not be a good measure.
For instance, by this measure,

10 hours at 5.5mmol = 55, while
9 hours at 4.5mmol, + 1 hour at 14mmol = 54.5

I'm guessing all of us here would prefer the former though

(and yes, for simplicities sake, ignoring for now the actual rise and fall of the curve)
I'm guessing this is what you were suggesting though with your comments at the end about what is a safe level.
This example also illustrates why average glucose isn't really an ideal metric for assessing control. Also, I'm not too clear exactly how closely HbA1c follows average glucose, but it seems it could have this problem too, as Bernstein suggests.

When looking at my libre results, I do tend to look at the areas above the target band as an intuitive measure of how good my control is. This still leaves the question though of where the line above which damage occurs actually lies, and whether the amount of damage is simply linear with height above this line.
If we set this line at 7.0, then in my original example we would get:
60mins * 1mmol above limit = 60pts
vs
15mins * 8mmol above limit = 120pts
I would still question whether this is really a good measure though. Perhaps being 4mmol above target is more than twice as damaging as being 2 above. Also it would give a score of 6pts for spending an hour at 7.1, vs a score of 0pts for being at 7.0, which clearly doesn't make sense.

One of the things that has got me thinking about all this was Bernsteins talk of nondiabetic adults mostly hovering around 4.6mmol, and that the recommended target ranges given for diabetics are often too high. I think he would consider spending the whole day at 6.9 to be damaging, though the metric above would give that a perfect score of 0pts.
His book has definitely influenced me to pay more attention to reducing my 'within range' readings as well as just trying to minimize spikes.

So maybe a better measure would be one that gave all readings above 4.6 some score, increasing with the value above this by some non-linear formula.

Now I realize that this whole discussion might seem a bit like fussing over details, and we can set ourselves reasonable targets without precise measures, such as just aiming to be around 5mmol most of the time, and to never go above 7 for long.
However, I do find personally that tracking small improvements is a useful motivational tool, and I'd prefer that the targets I use for this actually relate meaningfully to the minimization of long term damage that is the real aim.

Also, I've deliberately left hypos out of this discussion, as I think it becomes much more difficult and subjective trying to quantitatively compare the risks/damage of highs and lows, as they are of a different nature.

Reactions: 4 people

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also to respond to @tim2000s point about the damaging effect of rapid changes, I suppose a better measure should also factor this in somehow.

Griffter15

Also to respond to @tim2000s point about the damaging effect of rapid changes, I suppose a better measure should also factor this in somehow.

It's an interesting point about the rapid change. I wander if you had very high bg level it would be better to bring it down slowly.

In years gone by if I had a unexpected high reading I'd try and bring it down doubly as quick by over correcting then eating 90 mins later. This could possibly be more harmful.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's an interesting point about the rapid change. I wander if you had very high bg level it would be better to bring it down slowly.

In years gone by if I had a unexpected high reading I'd try and bring it down doubly as quick by over correcting then eating 90 mins later. This could possibly be more harmful.
Basically, that's what it seems to suggest.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry, but that is too simplistic.

There are a lot more variables. Size of spike, length of spike, severity of rise and fall.

In addition, we would have to distinguish between people who were diabetics-in-waiting, and people who were never-to-be-T2 diabetic, because other variables in their physical makeup could well be predisposing one group to damage, while the other isn't taking damage
- for instance the diabetics-in-waiting may have abnormal insulin responses for decades before showing significantly raised glucose levels, and raised insulin has been connected to increased coronary risk.
The resulting complications may be accelerated or even started, before diagnosis, triggered by insulin and glucose fluctuations, but not currently 'visible' using HbA1c and FBG as diagnostic tools.

Of course, at the moment, only Kraft's work has shown this (that I know of), but it means that any clear cut observation of spikes is never going to reflect the complex realities.

There is also going to be a difference between T1s and T2s, assuming that T1s were 'normal' before contracting T1, whereas T2s could have been brewing complications for years before diagnosis...

Having said all of that, studying spike damage has got to be useful, and has got to be worthwhile - it is just very complicated!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Westley - sorry about that wee ramble, in my last post.

In answer to your question, I am FIRMLY of the belief that rapid rises and drops in bg are harmful.
As are sustained high plateaus.

Of the two, I think the rapid rises and drops are more damaging.

My personal goal is for the smallest variation between my upper and lower numbers possible.