Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes this is the church of low carb and many follow the cult of keto
It's also the church of using a glucose meter to see what different foods do to your blood glucose.
No need to try to decide what belief to follow (low carb, plant based, low calorie, low fat. mediterranean, keto, carnivore, paleo, cinnamon and whatever else different people/dieticians/diabetes nurses/doctors advise), you can simply obtain unbiased data on your own personal metabolism after every meal you eat.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes this is the church of low carb and many follow the cult of keto, but its a broad church and what works for you as a long term sustainable diet is more important. Low carb is anything below 150g, 130g or 100g depending who you ask, so you could step down in stages along that and see where it gets you. Also too fast a drop may have impacts on the eye health so a staged reduction over a few weeks will reduce that risk.

And though there are a lot of members here who do low carb, there are other WOEs (ways of eating) that people use to tackle their T2 and other diabetic types, and their proponents are welcome to post here. (And do, but I admit they are outnumbered by the low carbers).

These forums are for all diabetics, not just low carbers.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
And though there are a lot of members here who do low carb, there are other WOEs (ways of eating) that people use to tackle their T2 and other diabetic types, and their proponents are welcome to post here. (And do, but I admit they are outnumbered by the low carbers).

These forums are for all diabetics, not just low carbers.
There is a good reason why low carbers outnumber other Ways of Eating. That is that it works on BG directly (cut off the glucose tap) plus it works on so many other things (weight, blood pressure, mental state etc.) for most (but not all) people.
This makes it an obvious candidate for a first attempt, since it is virtually pain free - unlike ultra low calorie diets or trying to exercise yourself out of high blood glucose.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still get guilty remembrance of one of the people on the 'education' course with me. I was already doing very well on low carb and he was obviously having a lot of trouble with his feet. I meant to speak to him after the session, but was diverted. The next time I saw him he'd lost one leg below the knee and the remaining foot was all bandaged up in a sort of rubber sledge

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to everyone for your replies, advice and support.
A twist to this story is I have a teenage daughter who is battling Anorexia - a different sort of food battle. She is coming out of now, doing very well. The upside to this is that we already own our own Blood Pressure and Blood Glucose machines.
I checked it this morning and it was 11.7mmol before breakfast. A high number, but then I'm only 6 days into my T2B diagnosis. I had an omelette for breakfast with a slice of 'porridge bread' which is made nearly entirely from oats. I made it two days ago, back when I was young and naive about carbs. I'm curious to see what sort of spike it causes in 2 hours time.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A twist to this story is I have a teenage daughter who is battling Anorexia - a different sort of food battle. She is coming out of now, doing very well. The upside to this is that we already own our own Blood Pressure and Blood Glucose machines.
I checked it this morning and it was 11.7mmol before breakfast. A high number, but then I'm only 6 days into my T2B diagnosis. I had an omelette for breakfast with a slice of 'porridge bread' which is made nearly entirely from oats. I made it two days ago, back when I was young and naive about carbs. I'm curious to see what sort of spike it causes in 2 hours time.

You seem to be making good progress Hairyman. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

As someone recovered from anorexia, I wish your whole family a decent journey with both your diabetes and your daughter's anorexia. Neither of these conditions are solo sports. Both impact those in the immediate vicinity too.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How did it go?
I've never had porridge bread, but I'd expect it to be just about as high carb as other breads.

It's wonderful to hear that your daughter is coming out of her battle with anorexia and doing well!

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How did it go?
I've never had porridge bread, but I'd expect it to be just about as high carb as other breads.

It's wonderful to hear that your daughter is coming out of her battle with anorexia and doing well!
When I went to do the test two hours later, the last strip we had malfunctioned, so I'm none the wiser.
Speaking to the Diabetes nurse on Friday, so I'm going to see if I can tap her up for more strips.
Thanks for the wishes for D1. We shared a nice Tagine tonight. Her with couscous, me withou.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking to the Diabetes nurse on Friday, so I'm going to see if I can tap her up for more strips.
If she won't give you more test strips (which is quite likely, sadly enough), you may want to look into self funding.
In that case you'll be better off getting the meter with cheaper test strips, not buy more teststrips for the meter you have.
Just let us know if you need information on decent meters with affordable teststrips after your appointment.

andromache

A twist to this story is I have a teenage who is battling Anorexia - a different sort of food battle. She is coming out of now, doing very well. The upside to this is that we already own our own Blood Pressure and Blood Glucose machines.
I get it on the AN thing: of course the last thing you want your child to see is you restricting when his/her family and the world is urging him/her to stop doing exactly that. aAnorexics (and I’m a long-time recovering one myself) are starving themselves of nourishment. You absolutely shouldn’t be doing that. Even though you are restricting carbs for your health, you can still set an excellent example for your child by avoiding junk and eating freely of good, whole foods that are naturally low in carbs - meat, fish, eggs, full-fat cheese, green veg, nuts, seeds, olive oil, ultra-dark chocolate etc etc. As long as you’re doing that and studiously ignoring low-fat nonsense and any notion of calorie restriction, I think you need not fear destabilising your child’s recovery. Just make sure you explain what you’re doing and why. And think about involving your child in your recovery. There’s more than one recovery to be worked on in your household and you both need all the family support you can get. You both might benefit from having the other to help you through, Good luck.

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If she won't give you more test strips (which is quite likely, sadly enough), you may want to look into self funding.
In that case you'll be better off getting the meter with cheaper test strips, not buy more teststrips for the meter you have.
Just let us know if you need information on decent meters with affordable teststrips after your appointment.
I had my call today - she only wanted to know my blood pressure readings, have a quick chat about those and was about to hang up. I said "actually, I have some questions". The first question was on whether I could have some test strips from the surgery and was told that was fine, they would be added to my prescription. Great.
Then, she began to wind up the call again - she plainly had many calls to make, so I let her go.
I'm just going to follow my own routine. Am down 7lbs in my first week. Am going to go under 100g of carbs next week, and see how much lower I can go from there. Just did my online shop, with Babybels, Sardines, cauliflower, coconut flour and countless other delights. Lets go!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my call today - she only wanted to know my blood pressure readings, have a quick chat about those and was about to hang up. I said "actually, I have some questions". The first question was on whether I could have some test strips from the surgery and was told that was fine, they would be added to my prescription. Great.
Then, she began to wind up the call again - she plainly had many calls to make, so I let her go.
She must have been so busy that she forgot that she isn't to dish out teststrips to everyone!
Doesn't sound too useful otherwise but this is a great win, long may it last!