Who eats processed foods?

M

Member496333

I forgot to mention that I add heaps of salt to my cooking.

You’re all invited to the funeral :shifty:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Is anyone else getting really, really tired of these studies and the opinions of journalists that report on them?
The BBC are reporting this stuff as gospel. I've seen three different 'experts' so far today all agreeing with these findings.

Reactions: 1spuds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone else getting really, really tired of these studies and the opinions of journalists that report on them?
The BBC are reporting this stuff as gospel. I've seen three different 'experts' so far today all agreeing with these findings.

What annoys me the most is the thought that my friends are reading it, believing it, and making their eyes roll a little more at my dietary choices.

M

Member496333

In all honesty yes, but I’m trying to just laugh at it in order to preserve some sanity :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Processed foods? Wouldn’t dream of it. :happy:
If you can’t hunt it, fish it, etc etc then don’t eat it. So they say. Mind you that doesn’t leave much left though does it.

D

Deleted Account

To return to the question @derry60 posed, I am not sure I know what are "processed foods".
I don't eat meat (long story which is not in context in this thread) so bacon, ham and salami are out for me.
I eat cheese which I assume is counted as "processed".
I also drink milk. Is pasteurising counted as processing?
Is smoking kippers processing assuming they are traditionally smoked and don't have colouring, etc add to them?
To be honest, I don't like the taste of salt so many pre-prepared meals just don't suit my tastebuds and are avoided for that reason.

I eat a lot of fruit, veg, eggs, pulses and fish and take the appropriate amount of insulin which maintains good BG and allows me to exercise frequently. So, for now, I am happy with my diet.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No mention of processed seed oils eh? What if it is a seed oil that is added to the wholegrain bread to fool customers into thinking it is fresher and healthier?

NB Learned many moons ago that fats are added to shop bought bread to stop it going all dry and stale looking.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I define processed foods as any that are made in factories or changed in some way from the original, with many different ingredients. If an ingredient is a vegetable oil, then to me it is processed.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have for a long time had an issue with broadcasters, health initiatives, DNs and even Drs using the phrase "Fruit and vegetables" while showing images of a colourful variety of mostly fruit (heavy on the bananas) with root vegetables, a few peppers and a sprig of broccoli. Completely disproportionate - when I said to my DN surely it should be "vegetables and fruit", she sort of mehed. If that's a thing.

Edit: Grapes are usually in there too!

I eat the lowest carb sausagemeat I can find, salami, pepperami and bacon. I'm not too keen on ham but occasionally have gammon steak.

Reactions: Guzzler

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For those of us who still eat meat, be aware that under the modified Tariffs to be applied if we Brexit with No Deal, then beef and pork will have a 40% duty slapped on it, but wheat and grain products will be dropped to zero by the government. Not sure if it is both imports and exports, or just our exports to EU that get these tariffs. I tried to check the HMRC excise duty website, but it does not mention Brexit at all. Not sure where one finds the WTO tariff lists either. I am not a businessman.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And then there is chlorinated chicken....
But no frogs legs?
Edit to add: We in the UK drink chlorinated water and use fluoridated toothpaste. We also use bromides in some medical products and agricultural products and for treating swimming pool water. Chlorine is also a component in household bleach and in toilet cleaners so we can come into contact quite frequently,

Last edited:

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'What is processed?' is an interesting question.
I made my own butter once from a herd of beautiful grass fed jersey cows (The calf at foot dairy). It was lovely but a huge faff, now I let others make my butter.
I haven't made my own salami yet but I bet I will soon just for the crack. If mine is better and I don't lose the will to live whilst doing it, then I will carry on, just like I do with yogurt and used to do with bread.
My bacon comes from a local butcher, you can go outside and see the pigs.
What I can't do is make a meal and for it to look the same a week later, like supermarket 'ready meals', now that's properly processed.

Reactions: Guzzler

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would they require the same amount though?
Yes and no.
Eggs and bacon alone will require insulin due to gluconeogenesis for most T1’s
The mango will definitely need insulin.
Depending on the amount of eggs and bacon and the size of the mango it’s quite possible the same amount of insulin could be required.
I don’t eat mangoes but I do eat porridge oats. A 40g serving requires 4 units of insulin. A 3 egg omelette also requires 4 units of insulin. A 3 egg omelette with a round of toast only requires 2 units of insulin, the carbs in the bread cancel out the gluconeogenesis.
It’s all very interesting.

Reactions: becca59

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But no frogs legs?
Edit to add: We in the UK drink chlorinated water and use fluoridated toothpaste. We also use bromides in some medical products and agricultural products and for treating swimming pool water. Chlorine is also a component in household bleach and in toilet cleaners so we can come into contact quite frequently,
Indeed it is all of those.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And how about the mercury in the tuna? That isn’t even processed.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@bulkbiker had 1 piece of bacon this morning and 1 and 1/2 eggs scrambled. Had 2 units of insulin and needed another 2 2 hours later. 80 gms of mango for me usually requires 1 unit. Go figure! Carbs are easier to account for and give me more even control. If I’d had a piece of bread with that bacon and egg I would have injected for it and had less of a spike. Memo to self, don’t assume carb free when on insulin will give me better control.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those of us who still eat meat, be aware that under the modified Tariffs to be applied if we Brexit with No Deal, then beef and pork will have a 40% duty slapped on it, but wheat and grain products will be dropped to zero by the government. Not sure if it is both imports and exports, or just our exports to EU that get these tariffs. I tried to check the HMRC excise duty website, but it does not mention Brexit at all. Not sure where one finds the WTO tariff lists either. I am not a businessman.

Why would any of us want to eat imported meat, (or chlorinated chicken from the US)? We have plenty of cows, pigs, sheep and hens here in the UK. I take your point that the tariffs are biased against meat in order to encourage us to eat grains because "they are good for us and meat isn't" I for one always eat British meat, local if possible, and would never consider anything else.