Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Old time advice ---
If it has more than 5 ingredient s don't eat it
If you're Granny wouldn't recognise it don't eat it

Carol
My "granny" wouldn't recognise many things I cook with doesn't mean they're not good sound ingredients, but I agree with you in principle:)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Neither would my Granny ,bet she had never seen an avocado but I understand the idea behind the old thinking
Carol

Reactions: 1spuds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My granny was of the generation that home baked almost everything, but mostly pastry. Home made pies, both savoury and sweet, were the order of the day, practically everyday it seemed to me. She wouldn't be the only one that wouldn't recognise an avocado. Neither did I until reading about them on this forum. :arghh:

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No mention of processed seed oils eh? What if it is a seed oil that is added to the wholegrain bread to fool customers into thinking it is fresher and healthier?

NB Learned many moons ago that fats are added to shop bought bread to stop it going all dry and stale looking.

So glad to see your message. I can find just one single bakery here that uses just a handful of ingredients and whole organic wheat (i.e. the type that is not sprayed to death with round-up/glyphosate) and certainly no 'vegetable' oils, sugars, additives, colouring. It will get stale after one day unless frozen...a good sign. Still grains, so I have to be very careful.

There really is not enough mention in 'main stream' clickbait reports on the impact of these industrial, GMO sourced (yes - not just a US story), full of nasty chemicals (required in processing), herbicides (glyphosate to name one in the news recently), pesticides, 'vegetable' oils that have not an inkling of vegetables in it. This includes things like canola (heavily processed rapeseed), soy (diabetes inducing) and corn oils, all that should be avoided by us.

Reactions: Guzzler

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to mention that I add heaps of salt to my cooking.

You’re all invited to the funeral :shifty:

It is interesting how the focus is on too much salt as opposed to digging a little deeper into the type of salt and the main reason for this 'too high' intake . If you forgo processed/packaged foods you are eating so much less of the highly processed, purified sodium chloride. Some of this highly processed salt even has dextrose, chemicals and other anti-caking agents added.

In fact, adding high quality, mineral rich, salt is necessary and healthy. After learning all this from some of the Primal living books, I stick with adding Himalayan pink, Celtic sea or A. Vogel salts in generous amounts to my cooking.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
My granny was of the generation that home baked almost everything, but mostly pastry. Home made pies, both savoury and sweet, were the order of the day, practically everyday it seemed to me. She wouldn't be the only one that wouldn't recognise an avocado. Neither did I until reading about them on this forum. :arghh:
I wonder if the flour was processed differently back then, as many ate pies and pudding homemade, yet diabetes was rare. Although they did not have a variety of foods as they do now. When I was a child I did not know anybody who ate pasta, rice couscous, or sweet potato. When I was first introduced to pasta it was spag bol and I was 15 years of age. We had potatoes, but would only be around 3 on a plate with meat, not as much as today..3 slices off a joint lol. The rest was veg. Fruit was an occasional treat also.. Now everything is in abundance. Oh, and the cake was a treat once a week at our house.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eat anything that your blood glucose monitor shows you is helpful. Anything else, eat with extreme caution and in limited quantities. You are welcome to disagree, you are the only one who can help yourself...

Reactions: 1spuds

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Change over to wild caught Pacific salmon! Much safer. ;)
Not so.There is fukushima radiation and some sort of fish disease I cant recall in salmon right now,thats being hushed up.Salmon is off my menu.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the nitrates in the bacon that they were also concerned about. Sainsburys sell bacon without the nitrates, but not some of the other supermarkets
As I understand it,they still use a 'natural' nitrate,though unsure of your specific brand.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not so.There is fukushima radiation and some sort of fish disease I cant recall in salmon right now,thats being hushed up.Salmon is off my menu.
If you look hard enough at anything, you'll find an excuse to exclude it. Flying in commercial jet aircraft exposes you to more radiation than just about anything else you'll normally encounter. As far as processed foods go, if in doubt I rely on my blood glucose monitor, but a quick read of the label should usually give you a decent idea of how you'll potentially react.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you look hard enough at anything, you'll find an excuse to exclude it. Flying in commercial jet aircraft exposes you to more radiation than just about anything else you'll normally encounter. As far as processed foods go, if in doubt I rely on my blood glucose monitor, but a quick read of the label should usually give you a decent idea of how you'll potentially react.
No excuses,the fukushima radiation has not abated in the least since day 3.Pacific ocean is being slammed.Im not eating any more pacific seaweed either,luckily I have a nice supply still pre fukushima.