Whole Plant Food diet

wellperson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I reversed my Type 2 Diabeties 4 years ago on a low carb high protein diet which worked at first but because it did not address my insulin resistance and it came back..I was tired and could not lose the weight I put back on no matter how low carb/high protein I went.
I have now after reading fantastic research by diabetic doctors in the US like Dr Joel Fuhrman, am on the road to reversing it properly with a low fat whole plant food diet so beware of low carb diets, they are short term not long term.

Reactions: steveis36

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So you invented a whole new way of eating - high protein and low carb - now you are trying high carb low fat. If it works for you and you feel well doing it, good. What sort of results has it brought you?
I'm afraid I will be sticking to the low carb high fat option as it has worked for a lot of people for decades.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Make sure you understand that supplements are essential on your choice of diet.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our diabetes group supports its members in finding the diet right for them. Of all the whole food, plant based (WFPB) diets I've looked at, Joel Fuhrman's is the least restrictive for diabetes so that's the one I encourage members to try first if they choose to go in that direction because it allows a limited amount of eggs and other sources of proteins and healthy fats.

As Guzzler pointed out, supplementing is required for this diet. I suggest you do a search and sample the varying opinions on this topic: "required nutritional supplements for plant based diet"

I've been on the low carb ketogenic diet for 4 years and continue to do well. By the way, weight gain is a problem on ALL diets. If you try this diet, diabetes author Jenny Ruhl suggests following it as described for three months before making any changes to it. Hope it works well for you. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with it. I'll stick to my low carb/high fat/normal protein diet. It has served me well for over 5 years.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I reversed my Type 2 Diabeties 4 years ago on a low carb high protein diet which worked at first but because it did not address my insulin resistance and it came back..I was tired and could not lose the weight I put back on no matter how low carb/high protein I went.
I have now after reading fantastic research by diabetic doctors in the US like Dr Joel Fuhrman, am on the road to reversing it properly with a low fat whole plant food diet so beware of low carb diets, they are short term not long term.
Glad for you, however the protocol that failed for you is giving me my best numbers and health ever.

M

Member496333

I’m unsure by which mechanism a diet is able to reverse insulin resistant diabetes without addressing insulin resistance. I don’t doubt the outcome but I wonder if perhaps some details have been misunderstood along the way.

Good luck with the new approach.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Well now I've been doing low carb high fat for over two years now works fine for me and for many others here who have been LCHF a lot longer than I so forgive me if I ignore your forebodings and warnings I shall continue as I have been, you of course are quite at liberty to follow whatever diet works for you.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask how much fat you have on this diet? How do you know you are getting enough but not too much? I tried plant based eating for a short time but got ill, probably because I didn't add enough fats, so I have been put off trying again.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have now after reading fantastic research by diabetic doctors in the US like Dr Joel Fuhrman, am on the road to reversing it properly with a low fat whole plant food diet so beware of low carb diets
I recommend the Big Mc Pickle burger, even the cheese is plant food.

ooIMsEo.jpg

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, fairs fair so I went and had a look.
If I ate what he suggests it would make me very sick, unlike what I do eat which makes me well.
Too many grains, high carb veg and pulses for me and my poor pancreas.
I find the list of 'essential' supplements, alongside the 'recommended' supplements and all the other supplements along with the food stuffs for sale of some concern. A healthy LCHF diet based on real food involves none of these.
I think I will stick to what works for me and a growing number of other people.
Best of luck with whatever works for you.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
To be honest, this just sounds like another propaganda pitch. Good luck with it, your going to need it.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I am an ethical vegan but do believe in anyone switching to a plant based diet, for any reason - dietary or belief - to do their research before switching. Make sure you get enough fats (at the moment garlic infused olive oil is my favourite, but ordinary extra virgin olive oil is scrummy too). Also track your macro and micro nutrients when you start to be on the safe side. And, whilst you're following this way of eating you should still run your checks at intervals.

Luckily veganism turned out to be perfect for me (although that absolutely isn't important to me), and my diabetes consultant is more than happy with me, so it's win-win - but we are very careful about balancing foods.

Always - research is your friend! And never just take one source as gospel.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wishing you the success with you new diet that I've have with low carb.

My LCHF lifestyle (rather than diet) has kept my diabetes - and weight - under control for well over five years now. It obviously suits me fine, and is close to my original and preferred way of eating (I've eaten normal/full fat food all my life - it was eating too many carbs over recent years that caused my problems), so for me there's no good reason to change at all now.

Robbity