1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Whole Plant Food diet

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by wellperson, Apr 2, 2019.

1. wellperson

wellperson Type 2 · Member

I reversed my Type 2 Diabeties 4 years ago on a low carb high protein diet which worked at first but because it did not address my insulin resistance and it came back..I was tired and could not lose the weight I put back on no matter how low carb/high protein I went.
    I have now after reading fantastic research by diabetic doctors in the US like Dr Joel Fuhrman, am on the road to reversing it properly with a low fat whole plant food diet so beware of low carb diets, they are short term not long term.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

So you invented a whole new way of eating - high protein and low carb - now you are trying high carb low fat. If it works for you and you feel well doing it, good. What sort of results has it brought you?
    I'm afraid I will be sticking to the low carb high fat option as it has worked for a lot of people for decades.

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

How did you put the weight back on? Surely not by following a low carb high protein diet?

4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Make sure you understand that supplements are essential on your choice of diet.

5. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Our diabetes group supports its members in finding the diet right for them. Of all the whole food, plant based (WFPB) diets I've looked at, Joel Fuhrman's is the least restrictive for diabetes so that's the one I encourage members to try first if they choose to go in that direction because it allows a limited amount of eggs and other sources of proteins and healthy fats.

As Guzzler pointed out, supplementing is required for this diet. I suggest you do a search and sample the varying opinions on this topic: "required nutritional supplements for plant based diet"

I've been on the low carb ketogenic diet for 4 years and continue to do well. By the way, weight gain is a problem on ALL diets. If you try this diet, diabetes author Jenny Ruhl suggests following it as described for three months before making any changes to it. Hope it works well for you. :)

7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Good luck with it. I'll stick to my low carb/high fat/normal protein diet. It has served me well for over 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Glad for you, however the protocol that failed for you is giving me my best numbers and health ever.

9. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m unsure by which mechanism a diet is able to reverse insulin resistant diabetes without addressing insulin resistance. I don’t doubt the outcome but I wonder if perhaps some details have been misunderstood along the way.

Good luck with the new approach.

10. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Well now I've been doing low carb high fat for over two years now works fine for me and for many others here who have been LCHF a lot longer than I so forgive me if I ignore your forebodings and warnings I shall continue as I have been, you of course are quite at liberty to follow whatever diet works for you.

11. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Can I ask how much fat you have on this diet? How do you know you are getting enough but not too much? I tried plant based eating for a short time but got ill, probably because I didn't add enough fats, so I have been put off trying again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I recommend the Big Mc Pickle burger, even the cheese is plant food.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Muddikins

Muddikins Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well, fairs fair so I went and had a look.
    If I ate what he suggests it would make me very sick, unlike what I do eat which makes me well.
    Too many grains, high carb veg and pulses for me and my poor pancreas.
    I find the list of 'essential' supplements, alongside the 'recommended' supplements and all the other supplements along with the food stuffs for sale of some concern. A healthy LCHF diet based on real food involves none of these.
    I think I will stick to what works for me and a growing number of other people.
    Best of luck with whatever works for you.

14. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

To be honest, this just sounds like another propaganda pitch. Good luck with it, your going to need it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am an ethical vegan but do believe in anyone switching to a plant based diet, for any reason - dietary or belief - to do their research before switching. Make sure you get enough fats (at the moment garlic infused olive oil is my favourite, but ordinary extra virgin olive oil is scrummy too). Also track your macro and micro nutrients when you start to be on the safe side. And, whilst you're following this way of eating you should still run your checks at intervals.

Luckily veganism turned out to be perfect for me (although that absolutely isn't important to me), and my diabetes consultant is more than happy with me, so it's win-win - but we are very careful about balancing foods.

Always - research is your friend! And never just take one source as gospel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Wishing you the success with you new diet that I've have with low carb.

My LCHF lifestyle (rather than diet) has kept my diabetes - and weight - under control for well over five years now. It obviously suits me fine, and is close to my original and preferred way of eating (I've eaten normal/full fat food all my life - it was eating too many carbs over recent years that caused my problems), so for me there's no good reason to change at all now.

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook