Who's Correct..?

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
This is for Type 1 or 2....Perhaps I'm being thick but I don't understand...

Bought some raspberries from ASDA...packet said 4.6 carbs per 100 grams ~ excellent ! Something made me google 'Raspberry Nutrients' ~ info said 12g carbs per 100 grams of which sugars 4.4 . So I checked Sainsbury raspberries ~ 4.4 carbs per 100 grams, virtually the same as ASDA. So what is the rest of the 12 grams stated by Google..??? [it can't be starch]

Am I missing something ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the fibre? Because fibre is actually carbohydrate, albeit indigestible.

Some sites (mainly American) count the fibre in with the carbs.

Another possibility is that the raspberries were a v sweet variety and tested at their max ripeness. No way do fruit maintain the same levels of carb through all the seasons, yet the labels stay constant.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Looking at the sources, the google number includes 7g of dietary fibre - the Sainsbury's figure separates the fibre. There's still a discrepancy between them, which can probably be explained by the comment from @Brunneria .

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
In the US fibre is included in the total carb figure. In the UK it's listed separately

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
the 12 is the total carbs, but you need to look at the net carbs as about half the total carb is fibre.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Just looked, Brunneria. Fibre on both ASDA and Sainsbury says 2.5g per 100g . On Google, says 7g ~ must be American as spelled 'Fiber' !

Extremely confusing for everyone especially if newly diagnosed and you're checking on Google before buying. I'm 19 years diagnosed and even I found it contradictory :(

Reactions: Brunneria

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At diagnosis, 40 years ago, my diet sheet showed 6g per 100g of raspberries. 9 years ago, when I did my hospital's version of DAFNE, the carbohydrate sheets we used also said 6g. I'm happy with that, as by blood sugars have been fine when I've eaten raspberries.

Reactions: lindijanice

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Mine are fine with raspberries too dancer :)

Bbbut I didn't know that American and UK listings were listed differently as this is the first time I've Googled for a 'general' result. I find it quite worrying...am I the only person who didn't know this ? I'm always assured by supermarket packets being correct, and also Google.[before now]..so am I to assume that ANYTHING we Google [re food nutrients] doesn't apply to us in the UK, in which case it makes it pointless looking if we're in the UK..?

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just looked, Brunneria. Fibre on both ASDA and Sainsbury says 2.5g per 100g . On Google, says 7g ~ must be American as spelled 'Fiber' !

Extremely confusing for everyone especially if newly diagnosed and you're checking on Google before buying. I'm 19 years diagnosed and even I found it contradictory :(
Google is useless for carb counting it usually gives the US figures but isn’t consistent. Check the packaging of the UK supermarket website. More reliable

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Thanks for all the information everyone, am just going to have some raspberries and Greek yoghurt for breakfast and you bet it'll be a bigger bowl than I've had the last few days !!! :joyful:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the information everyone, am just going to have some raspberries and Greek yoghurt for breakfast and you bet it'll be a bigger bowl than I've had the last few days !!! :joyful:
Walnuts are okay with yoghurt too. I've been having that for breakfast last few days.

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
0.25 cup Raspberries
3.6 Total Carbs (g)
2.1 Fiber (g)
1.5 Net Carbs (g)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Swearing, Liars.
This is a belta of a thread ! I've been wondering about foods in shops (even some pharmacies) that sell products like chocolate, Ice Cream , Jams that are labelled "Diabetic"
Yet our doctors and nurses tell us to stay away from them as they will do us more harm than good !
If these specific Diabetic labelled products do us more harm than good, how on earth can the products be sold legally ?

Is just a case that anyone whose not diabetic could buy them and the product will do them no harm because they're not diabetic ?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a belta of a thread ! I've been wondering about foods in shops (even some pharmacies) that sell products like chocolate, Ice Cream , Jams that are labelled "Diabetic"
Yet our doctors and nurses tell us to stay away from them as they will do us more harm than good !
If these specific Diabetic labelled products do us more harm than good, how on earth can the products be sold legally ?

Is just a case that anyone whose not diabetic could buy them and the product will do them no harm because they're not diabetic ?
I steer clear of foods labelled 'diabetic'. The sweetners in them tend to have a laxative effect.