WHY AM I HIGH???

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

How much would you inject for a double veggie burger and a handful of fries???

I calculated 60g carbs for one burger and x2 because there were two burgers in the bun. Which would mean 1 unit of novorapid for 10grams of carbs then 4units for 40g carbs for the fries. Adding up to 16 units. I then added another 8 units to calculate for 1 and a half units per 10 grams taking my insulin to 24 units,which I think is a lot!

My blood sugar an hour later was 18 :(

Please help!!!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Non-combatant here, but I missed what you allowed for the bun.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How far in advance did you inject? Did it come down again at 2hrs? Your insulin will be working for longer so the spike tells you little.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How far in advance did you inject? Did it come down again at 2hrs? Your insulin will be working for longer so the spike tells you little.
I am trying to inject half an hour before meals but being in a restaurant, I inject straight after the meal in the car. It came down after two hours and I didn't correct because last time I did that I hypoed!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I am trying to inject half an hour before meals but being in a restaurant, I inject straight after the meal in the car. It came down after two hours and I didn't correct because last time I did that I hypoed!
That explains why you were high.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That explains why you were high.
How far in advance can I inject? 30 minutes or longer? Plus,when eating out what if you don't finish your whole meal and have already injected or your meal comes out late?

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now dropped to 2.6 feel like cant win either way!!!

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now dropped to 2.6 feel like cant win either way!!!

This is a very difficult meal to eat, especially on MDI. If you wait till after you are eating to bolus you will surely spike high, this is a recipe for disaster. The high amount of carbs and fat content from the fries will mean that some will digest right away and some later. It's possible that you did take the right amount of insulin but not enough before eating, spiking you very high, and too much at once, dropping you low soon after. You will probably need more insulin later as the food continues to digest. It's the type of meal that you have to take multiple shots for, or take some up front and extend a bolus over hours if on a pump.

Reactions: JP808

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a very difficult meal to eat, especially on MDI. If you wait till after you are eating to bolus you will surely spike high, this is a recipe for disaster. The high amount of carbs and fat content from the fries will mean that some will digest right away and some later. It's possible that you did take the right amount of insulin but not enough before eating, spiking you very high, and too much at once, dropping you low soon after. You will probably need more insulin later as the food continues to digest. It's the type of meal that you have to take multiple shots for, or take some up front and extend a bolus over hours if on a pump.
Thanks, how far apart should I split my dose and should it be a 50/50 split. I think I will try and skip the fries next time.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, how far apart should I split my dose and should it be a 50/50 split. I think I will try and skip the fries next time.

It's trial and error honestly. You could try different things, meals like this can sometimes keep digesting for 6-12 hours after eating them, so it isn't always as simple as just taking half before and half in an hour or two unfortunately. Do you have a CGM or Libre? It makes it so much easier. A pump does too but I know they can be hard to get.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's trial and error honestly. You could try different things, meals like this can sometimes keep digesting for 6-12 hours after eating them, so it isn't always as simple as just taking half before and half in an hour or two unfortunately. Do you have a CGM or Libre? It makes it so much easier. A pump does too but I know they can be hard to get.
I was given a libre on a trial basis and it tightened my control and I was promised it on prescription as well as a pump because I am hoping to become pregnant at some point - I was considering the omnipod as tubes are too messy, but my hospital has backtracked and changed their mind about giving me the libre meter and the pump!

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
was considering the omnipod as tubes are too messy, but my hospital has backtracked and changed their mind about giving me the libre meter and the pump!

That's nonsense, I hope you can fight it! It's gotten to a point where living without a CGM is like living in 1995 and still relying on urine testing.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was considering the omnipod as tubes are too messy

I know it sounds messy but most people who go on a tubed pump don't even notice the tube most of the time. I've used both and honestly prefer the reliability of the tubed pump. If you're able to get one go for it, any pump is better than no pump at all!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As suggested above splitting dose if you are not sure you will eat it all works. I would inject half when ordering. Eat. Inject the rest.
Corrections are advised with the next meal if you need them.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @slayer Next time you go to a restaurant ask them for the nutritional value of the food there - most restaurants can provide this information, it makes our job easier in doing the bolus calculation, alternatively download carbs and cals on your phone as you can view food types on their to calculate your total carbs.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
60g for a veggie burger sounds like quite a lot, where were you eating?

If Im eating out I wouldn't wait until the car to inject, that's quite long.

Also I'm on my second tubed pump, its really not a big deal and compared to the problems I've heard of on omipods I would rather tubing.