WHY AM I HIGH???

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
That's nonsense, I hope you can fight it! It's gotten to a point where living without a CGM is like living in 1995 and still relying on urine testing.
Is this true? I haven't got a CGM. Should I push for one? Sorry to derail the thread

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that fries ALWAYS seem to need way more insulin than I would bolus for normal potato (or for my mum's home cooked chips). 60g per bun seemed a little high in my opinion (I would give 30g) but it really depends on the bun. If you wanted to improve your numbers for next time, try only having a burger, or only having fries, and seeing what happens. That way it's easier to see what's going wrong - if you are fine after the burger but super high after the fries, you know you bolused incorrectly for the fries, for example. Once you figure them out separately, you can eat them together.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Is this true? I haven't got a CGM. Should I push for one? Sorry to derail the thread
Most t1s are still on mdi. Very few get chm funding.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

YES. There is no way in hell anyone can really know what's going on taking 4-6 blood sugar tests per day without any trend information. It's like the pump, once you try it you really can't ever go back.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most t1s are still on mdi. Very few get chm funding.

Yep, but I blame the medical system for this. If everyone was able to get funding and given proper information, I doubt too many would choose to stick with MDI and glucometers.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this true? I haven't got a CGM. Should I push for one?

The closest you'll probably get to a CGM is the Freestyle Libre on prescription, which our CCG has just confirmed a few days ago can be prescribed BUT with strict rules about who can have it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Veggie burgers often contain rice, potato or soya, so are shockingly carby. If you add a bun, it’s surprising how it adds up :facepalm:

Reactions: slayer

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
The closest you'll probably get to a CGM is the Freestyle Libre on prescription, which our CCG has just confirmed a few days ago can be prescribed BUT with strict rules about who can have it.
Hi Do you know who makes the rules and who I should nag to try and get one?

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys,

Which would mean 1 unit of novorapid for 10grams of carbs then 4units for 40g carbs for the fries.

Please help!!!
Most type 1 help leaflets quote using 1 unit of fast insulin per 10 grams of carb, but I found this was is just a starting point.

You need to adjust the ratio(s) to work best for you. This is usually by trial and error; preferably in small increments. If id got an 18 on testing I would have gone to 1 unit per 9 grams the next day.

Also I had different ratios for breakfast, lunch and dinner. At its extreme I was using br=5gr per unit, lun=3gr per unit and din=6gr per unit.

I found splitting lunch into 2 parts (one at 10am and one at 2pm) meant I could reduce any spikes and the insulin.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys,

How much would you inject for a double veggie burger and a handful of fries???

I calculated 60g carbs for one burger and x2 because there were two burgers in the bun. Which would mean 1 unit of novorapid for 10grams of carbs then 4units for 40g carbs for the fries. Adding up to 16 units. I then added another 8 units to calculate for 1 and a half units per 10 grams taking my insulin to 24 units,which I think is a lot!

My blood sugar an hour later was 18 :(

Please help!!!

After nearly 40 years with Type one - 97% veggie -my experience is that it is best - as i think others have suggested - not to eat this if you have none of your own insulin left, and rely only on injected or pumped in insulin. Increase the veg, make it half your meal, every meal, get salad and whatever else veg is on offer, throw out all but 3 of the fries, and just eat one burger and half the roll. Recalculate the insulin needed. If you do have the meal you mention, and need large amounts of insulin, watch out for a 'tail' of late insulin action, so have 10 plus carbs, fruit etc later. testing one hour after the meal you mention is expecting a lot, i would never eat that much carb by choice in one go. The whole idea is to keep the levels of insulin in your body as low as possible while keeping your blood glucose ok. Circulating insulin stimulates weight gain and other nasty things as far as i understand. if you think you need more protein and energy, or if you are hungry, have a small pkt peanuts or cashews etc

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Depends whatbyour levels were pre eating to be honest, and if your hugher level was 2hr after eating?

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Now dropped to 2.6 feel like cant win either way!!!
At least you are not alone. Same here. I think the bun may have been laced with sugar. I know McDonalds buns are full of sugar. Fast acting carbs screw up the insulin profile. As the insulin gets to work the fast carbs have already spiked. Once the insulin is really going, there are no more carbs so down with the BGL

The fries are not good either. They screw with me, so I avoid them except on very special occasions.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Ussually just google on there website (Type of burger and nutritional)

for example if i'm at Macdonals. I get a BLC and i google Macdonalds blc nutrtion it comes up a website which says how many carb for example it says Total carbs BLC= 39g and if i have small fries just google Macdonalds small fries nutrition and it comes up as Total Carbs= 30g. So therfor i know it's 69g of carbs in total for BLC and Small fries. But whenever i go to macodnals i just get BLC and Diet Coke. I avoid the fries.

a Macondalds veggie burger is: 76g of carb

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice! I am going to try and avoid fries -never realised they were the work of the devil! We ate at a place which we have never ate at before and in retrospect, I think the burgers were deep fried :( I am purchasing the carbs and cals book and pushing my nurse for the pump and freestyle libre. I am also going to try and space my meals out throughout the day and aim to have smaller portions.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, but I blame the medical system for this. If everyone was able to get funding and given proper information, I doubt too many would choose to stick with MDI and glucometers.

I'm probably one of the few who has been on a pump but decided to go back to MDI. For me, the inability to exercise without either drinking Lucozade by the bottle or having to faff around with temporary basals two hours before even thinking of doing anything just wasn't worth it. Now I'm on MDI (with Libre) I'm MUCH better controlled than I ever was on a pump. If there was one thing I'd miss about it, it would be the easy split bolusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: donnellysdogs